What is th best month weather wiase and economy wise for an Alaska cruise

postal07

We went toward the end of May in 2001. We flew back home on Memorial Day. The weather was mild similar to late Feb. early March Georgia weather. The lows around 35 and the highs hitting 55-60. Except for the days we were in the glaciers and then for I know the temps could have been mild but the was a strong, blowing, windy mist there that froze you to the bone-so it FELT really cold. But it was beautiful in the glaciers, we were on a HAL ship so we could go in the Eagle's Nest lounge to warm up and still look. Plus the ships serves tons of hot choc. and pea soup so you could warm up.

may and sept are the cheapest months for the cabins. i have done both, but the best of the two is may. the kids are still in school, the weather was perfect and there are no bugs. also the snow on the top of the mts was beautiful and the waterfulls were spectacular. i will alwasys go in may from now on.

Economy wise - May, first week of June & September.

Weather - end of June, all of July, and first couple of weeks of Aug - also high season and most expensive.

We have found that cruising Alaska the end of June and first 3 weeks in July to be the best - warmer temperatures and less rain. But you still have to dress in layers as the mornings may be cool and then sunny in the afternoon. There have been times when we wore bermudas!

Also we like that time of the year as the sun is higher and the glaciers tend to calve more.

Archived