Viking Rhine Getaway question

2045jim

So maybe in Strasbourg, in order to maximize your time there, it would make sense to eat lunch in town. Then you don't have waste time taking the bus back to the boat to eat and then taking the bus back into town; only to have to take the bus back to the boat again before departure.

Absolutely. That was our original plan, but the day we were there it was only about 40 degrees and raining. We decided we needed a break from the weather and decided to go back to the boat and warm up before heading back out. Have you booked or just researching?

Absolutely. That was our original plan, but the day we were there it was only about 40 degrees and raining. We decided we needed a break from the weather and decided to go back to the boat and warm up before heading back out. Have you booked or just researching?

I booked the Basel to Amsterdam Rhine Getaway on the Viking Longship Tor departing Basel on August 2, 2014.

Sorry, one more question. At about what time does the optional tour to Colmar depart, and how long does it last? I assume it leaves from the boat after lunch? Does it allow for any free time in Colmar?

No worries, glad to help. I found my Viking Daily and it says the tour is 2:15-6pm. I know we had time to eat lunch, then we went up to the church in Breisach for a few minutes before we left for the tour to Colmar. There was free time in Colmar, but not exactly sure how much because we actually left before the end of the tour when we spotted a patisserie that sold macarons. The guide showed everyone where and when to meet in case anyone wanted to go off on their own. Neat little town.

I'm so glad you kept those Viking dailies! Do they happen to say the specific times for the Marksburg Castle tour and, therefore, what time you arrive in Koblenz? Does the Kinderdijk tour last the entire time you're there (2pm-5:30pm) or is there free time in Kinderdijk?

TimATL ~ we take the Viking Rhine River trip this December but last year we were on the Saone/Rhone Rivers with an overnight in Lyon. We had a morning bus/walking tour and the guide told us that, after the tour, we had two options - take the bus back to the ship for lunch or stay in town and get back to the ship on our own. I actually asked for a third option - for our group of 4 to be dropped off about half way to the ship - pre-cruise we had looked into lunch restaurants and wanted to get closer to it via the bus. They were happy to oblige and, in the end, dropped off about 8 people!!!

We found the guides and bus drivers very accomodating and helpful - hope its the same on our next trip!!!!

I'm so glad you kept those Viking dailies! Do they happen to say the specific times for the Marksburg Castle tour and, therefore, what time you arrive in Koblenz? Does the Kinderdijk tour last the entire time you're there (2pm-5:30pm) or is there free time in Kinderdijk?

The Marksburg tour was 10:30am to 1pm. You leave Rudesheim and immediately begin the stretch of castles that ends at Marksburg. You get into Koblenz at 1pm, which is the time that lunch is served. We docked in front of the William I monument in Koblenz, which made it very convenient to walk into town.

There's a little free time in Kinderdijk. We actually didn't follow the program. When you dock, someone comes onboard and gives a lecture about the windmills and dikes, then you go on a guided tour. However, you can get off and explore on your own, which is what we did. You can go into one of the windmills, just tell them you're with Viking if you don't go with the group and they will let you in without paying, or they did us. I'm glad we did it own or own; the windmill you can go into is a little tight so I can't imagine how the groups managed to squeeze in. There is a little town there with a cafe and souvenir shop, but other than that, not much there.

If you want, I can email you copies of the Viking Daily for each day.

I think with that last bit of information I finally have a detailed itinerary all figured out. Thanks for the offer though.

I have a feeling we'll want to break away from the group and do our own thing once or twice, as you did in Kinderdijk.

JUst returned from our Basel to Dam onboard Forseti. Unfortunatley we did Colmar on a Sunday and most stores were closed except fora few bakeries, sweets shops, Guide did not take us to Petit Venice, saying itwould take too long but many did walk there.Those who did WW2 trip really enjoyed it, Time 2to6

Marksburg 1030 to1(arrival by bus) in Koblenz.Marksburg not suitable for those with walking difficulties.

Did Kinderdijk in pouring rain. Fortunate that we were only ship there. Only 1 mill open and people got very wet waiting in rain.2 groups did museum first,2 dike area. Tacky tourist shop. Alsonot alot to do in town but picture taking and cafe.

Did not dooptional wine tour in Strasbourg-those who did very disappointed. We choose to stsy in Strabourg rather than going back to ship for lunch. Did same in Koln. Local fare much better than Americanized food on board.

Here's the itinerary that I put together. Let me know if I made any mistakes.

Saturday

Check-in at the Viking Tor at 12:30pm.

Lunch on the boat.

Free time in Basel.

Back on the boat by 6:00pm.

Boat departs at 7:00pm.

Dinner on the boat.

Sunday

Breakfast on the boat.

Boat arrives in Breisach.

Black Forest tour 8:30am – 12:30pm.

Lunch on the boat.

Free time in Breisach.

Optional excursion to Colmar 2:15pm – 6:00pm.

Dinner on the boat.

Back on the boat by 10:00pm.

Boat departs Breisach at 10:30pm.

Monday

Breakfast on boat.

Boat arrives in Kehl.

Strasbourg tour 8:30am – 12:30pm.

Lunch in Strasbourg.

Free time in Strasbourg.

Back on the boat by 6:00pm.

Boat departs Strasbourg at 6:30pm.

Dinner on the boat.

Tuesday

Breakfast on the boat.

Boat arrives in Mannheim.

Heidelberg tour 8:30am – 12:45pm.

Boat departs Mannheim at 1:00pm.

Lunch on the boat.

Free time on the boat.

Boat arrives in Rudesheim at 6:30pm.

Dinner on the boat.

Free time in Rudesheim.

Overnight in Rudesheim.

Wednesday

Breakfast on the boat.

Boat departs Rudesheim at 8:00am. View castles along the Rhine.

Boat arrives at Marksburg Castle in Braubach for 10:30am - 1:00pm tour.

Arrive in Koblenz by bus at 1:00pm.

Lunch on the boat.

Free time in Koblenz.

Dinner on the boat.

Overnight in Koblenz.

Thursday

Boat departs Koblenz at 4:00am.

Breakfast on the boat.

Boat arrives in Cologne.

Cologne tour 9:30am – 11:30am.

Lunch on the boat.

Free time in Cologne.

Dinner in Cologne.

Back on the boat by 10:30pm.

Boat departs Cologne at 11:00pm.

Friday

Breakfast on the boat.

Free time on the boat. Cheese and jenever (juniper-flavored liquor) sampling.

Lunch on the boat.

Boat arrives in Kinderdijk.

Kinderdijk tour 2:00pm – 5:00pm.

Boat departs Kinderdijk at 5:30pm.

Dinner on the boat.

Saturday

Boat arrives in Amsterdam.

Breakfast on the boat.

Disembark the boat.

Looks like you got it. Like FotoPeg, we found the guides and all to be accommodating if you wanted to go off on your own. We also did it in Heidelberg after the castle tour. Our guide there was a little long winded and we wanted to see some of the churches and hit the Christmas markets, so when she finally stopped to take a breath, we informed her we were wandering off on our own, gave her a tip, and took off. Hopefully going in August you'll have much better weather than we did. Have a great trip!!

Tim

RXgrad98 - Did you do the optional tour to Colmar? If so, would love to hear your thoughts. This town intrigues me, but on a Sunday? Or should we just spend the afternoon in Breisach.

And the Black Forest tour screams tacky tourism to me. Your thoughts?

Also, is dinner on the boat that night or off? A little confused by the intinerary notes.

Thanks for your help.

I did the optional tour to Colmar on a Sunday (just 2 wks ago) and was very disappointed that the guide did not take us to the Petit Venice area. Stores open included the customary souvenirs, some bakeries, some chocolate, a few cheese/wine stores if you are interested in buying wine for the ship. There is a very interesting church in Breisach that those who stayed in town certainly enjoyed and the Yanks enjoyed the military trip.

I was hesitant about the BF tour but the countryside was spectacular ranging from rolling farm country to deep forest. When we go to the "tacky tourist shops" there was an optional walk up into the hills following a torrential stream (since it was raining) but the canopy of trees provided great protection. There is also another walk that takes you to a quaint church but we were not given that option and guide did not seem interested in even telling us how to find it.

Cuckoo clock store and glass blowing did seem to interest some people.

Dinner on board but found it odd that the chef on the Forseti did not even have black forest cake on the menu that night. But then again the desserts were not a highlight of the trip.

RXgrad98 - Did you do the optional tour to Colmar? If so, would love to hear your thoughts. This town intrigues me, but on a Sunday? Or should we just spend the afternoon in Breisach.

Also, is dinner on the boat that night or off? A little confused by the intinerary notes.

Thanks for your help.

Just so I can update my notes to better inform people, what was confusing about dinner on Sunday? It says, "Dinner on the boat" right now. How should I word it better?

FYI, I put "lunch in Strasbourg" on Monday and "dinner in Cologne" on Thursday because those were my personal choices. You can also eat those meals on the boat. In fact, you can eat every meal on the boat, if you prefer.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, we did do the optional tour to Colmar. I believe we were there on a Tuesday, so everything was open. Colmar is really nice. We didn't make it to the Petit Venice area during our tour, but that may have been our fault; we did wander away from the group and toured on our own, so we may have just missed it. Our guide was good in that he showed us the meeting time and place at the beginning and basically said be on time if you wanted to go your own way. I recommend going, even if it is a Sunday.

Breisach has a nice church that sets up on a hill on the river. We walked up to it, but didn't have much time to check everything out. The Black Forest tour, well, I wouldn't say it's a tacky tourist trap or anything, but it is basically a 90 minute bus ride each way to a shopping spot. The cuckoos are a nice quality and there's a pottery/glass shop there as well, as well as some trails that you can walk along; it was raining and 42 degrees when we were there, so didn't check out the trails. But, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't do it again. The scenery is nice, but it's basically a shopping excursion. If I were to do this cruise again, I'd spend the morning in Breisach, then go to Colmar, or check into transportation to Colmar and spend the day there. Just my opinion, but I enjoyed touring the old town of Breisach and Colmar more than the bus ride and cuckoo experience.

Tim

... The Black Forest tour, well, I wouldn't say it's a tacky tourist trap or anything, but it is basically a 90 minute bus ride each way to a shopping spot. The cuckoos are a nice quality and there's a pottery/glass shop there as well, as well as some trails that you can walk along; it was raining and 42 degrees when we were there, so didn't check out the trails. But, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't do it again. The scenery is nice, but it's basically a shopping excursion. ...

Tim

I am surprised you had no stops on the way to cuckoos/glass demonstration? We visited a nice town on the way there with a beautiful church. The trails are worth exploring as well. But I agree the weather is a big factor.

Overall just my opinion it was one of the best tours we had during that cruise.

I liked the Black Forest tour, too. The scenery was outstanding and I would have never gotten to see the rural areas were it not for this excursion. We stopped at a quaint town and saw the church there like id est did. We did a hike into the Black Forest and when we came out, there was a small orchestra playing in an outdoor pavillion and there were booths set up with local vendors selling wines, cheeses, etc. No pressure to buy anything but it was fun to see what the locals were making. To me, it was a great morning.

I am surprised you had no stops on the way to cuckoos/glass demonstration? We visited a nice town on the way there with a beautiful church. The trails are worth exploring as well. But I agree the weather is a big factor.

Overall just my opinion it was one of the best tours we had during that cruise.

No stops for us. It would have been nice to stop in one of the small towns or even Freiburg, but we went straight there and back. Not sure if it was due to the rainy weather or they wanted to get the optional tours off earlier since the sun was setting at 4:30, but for us the only stop was the cuckoo place.

• 2 months later...

The Viking Black Forest tour stopped at 2 places - first was the town of Saint Peter (Sankt Peter) where we walked to the Church and then had some a little free time to walk back to the bus and stop to take some photos.

Then we drove to an area called Hofgut Sternen which was comprised of 4 buildings: a Hotel, a glassmakers, a bakery and a clockmakers. A lot has been written on CC about this tour being just one big "advertisement" for people to buy things. I may be strange - but I really enjoyed the ride through the Forest - getting into the country and seeing snow! There was a possibility to take a walk with the guide into the forest at this second stop but DH wanted to try the Black Forest Cake so we wandered around outside taking some photos and then looked over the clock shop - we had NO intention of coming homen with a cuckoo clock! - and then went to the bakery for a slice of cake and coffee! DH thought the cake delicious, I thought the cake itself a little dense and perfer lighter dark sponge cake - the kind served on the ship later that day or the next, whenever. But we both thought it a fun trip - maybe it was because it was our first day on board.

Some photos are on my slide show, if you're interested.

Rhine River Christmas Markets Slideshow | TripAdvisor™

Sankt Peter was a very small village with a church. We could not go into the church because it was Sunday and mass was being said. Nothing else to do there. The drive through the Black Forest was interesting. I took the guided walk into the hills at the cuckoo shop/cake place and it was far more enjoyable than the shops even in the rain. There is a small chapel in the woods that would also be an alternative to cake.

Hello,

as the opinions are divided over this tour I would like to add something to the discussion. I fully admit I have never been there, but have been to Freiburg nearby and the Black Forest as such. The region is beautiful and has a feel of its own like you do not experience anywhere else on the Rhine cruise. If you want to see that, a bus tour 90 minutes each way sounds appealing (according to google maps a normal ride in the car only takes 50 minutes, though, one way).

Was there any commentary on the region and its history, anyone?

The Hofgut Sternen (the glass-blowing and cuckoo clock place) has a long tradition of tourism according to their website, for me that sounds to be on a par with Rüdesheim on the Rhine, where Germans have been travelling to for more than a hundred years. The area has had some importance during wars and the Hofgut is essentially an old coaching inn, turned 21st century, as I read it. There is also a modern hotel.

How much did you pay for this optional tour, anyone?

notamermaid

When we did this cruise 3 years ago, the Black Forest bus ride was included (and I would have been angry if I had paid for it). I had read many negative reviews of this tour so it was better than I thought. I enjoyed the ride and the church and the trail walk at the tourist trap. The stuff for sale was decent quality (though I did not buy) but I thought the black forest cake looked awful and dry and as said above like the so-so desserts on the ship. The WWII trip and wine trip were not offered on our cruise but we liked the Colmar tour. We left the ship tour at a certain point (it got repetitive and guide had told everyone where and at what time to meet) to visit the small museum there. It is near the meeting spot and contains a very famous Altarpiece (3 stars in Michelin) and other nice church art and is worth a detour if you like that sort of thing. Somehow, cannot remember when but maybe before or after lunch we did also get a little walk around Breisach in. It is a nice stop.