Viking Rhine Getaway question

2045jim

On our cruise the tour was included and the was a very good narrative by our guide - who was also delightfully dressed in local garb. While she didn't talk during the whole ride, she did give us a real "feel" for the area - present and past. She did explain that Hofgut Sternen was a very popular area for the locals because of its trails into the forest. We had been in the northern part of the Black Forest on a 2008 driving trip but I still felt this tour was a good one and not just a repeat of what we had already seen.

As for purchases ~ our friend bought a small wooden Christmas tree that folded flat and came with ornaments. I forget what she paid for it, but she saw it later in both Cologne and Strasbourg for much more. I'm not suggesting they had bargains, just mentioning a fact. We also spoke to fellow passengers who bought cuckoo clocks and had them shipped. They had come on the excursion specifically to buy a clock - decided on two - so it wasn't just impulsive buying!

On our cruise the WWII optional tour was offered an DH took it and enjoyed it, especially the museum. He said the guide was good, not great, but then he's an Historian and not always impressed by the tour guides. My friend and I decided to stay in Bresiach and walk up to the Cathedral rather than take the optional Colman tour, we just didn't feel like another bus ride and wanted to walk. Since it was Sunday, there wasn't much open in town, but it was a nice walk.

Everyone enjoys different experiences - I'm not trying to talk anyone into doing things "my way" but just trying to provide the type of information I was looking for when I was researching our trip. The more info you have the better you can decide what's the best for you - one reason I think many experiences help!!!

I am very prone to motion sickness. I had problems on a bus ride from Linz to Cesky Krumlov and fortunately we stopped for a rest break just in the nick of time. The roads to Cesky Krumlov were narrow with trees close to the road and several winding turns. This is when I have problems.

How are the roads on the Black Forest excursion? Should I skip it? I wasn't prepared for the Cesky Krumlov ride so I would like to make a better informed decision when we do our Rhine trip next summer. Thanks

Every evening there was a "preview" of the next day's activities. Before Breisach it was mentioned about the windy roads in the Black Forest. The CD asked if anyone was prone to motion sickness they should talk to the staff to reserve the front seats in a the bus. On our bus the front 2 or 3 seats indeed were reserved.

In all, my observation was that care was take to make sure all the passengers were accomodated even if they had mobility issues.

This is very helpful information. Thanks. We don't go until April, so we have a little time to decide. Does there appear to be transportation/taxi if we wanted to do our own thing at this port? Would Viking frown on that?

M&T ~ the dock in Breisach is really right in town - if I remember the area around the dock is a green, parklike area where people were walking with their children - probably looking at the Rinda!!! We walked about 5 blocks to a very, very small Christmas Market and then turned and walked back to the a street that ran up to the Cathedral.

I'm sure the desk could call a taxi. I think what day you're there is important. We arrived on a Sunday and almost everything was closed- almost deserted! - the CM was open and filled with families since the 2 rides there were for small children. I'm sure during the week its much more active - shops open, etc.

It's funny, but Breisach was the first time that I almost felt pressured to take an optional tour! When we asked at the reception about a map and directions to the CM, the first woman said there would be nothing to do in town, everything would be closed! She stressed the tours would be very good. DH did go on the WWII tour and enjoyed it but my g'friend and I just didn't feel like another bus ride. In hindsight, I think we were just being over-warned that there was nothing to do in town - absolutely correct - but we still enjoyed the walk to the Cathedral and just strolling along!!

Hope some of this makes sense!!!!

The below blog is from a woman who got on the Rinda about an hour after we departed! She and her husband did things much differently - but completely enjoyed it at the time! Just shows that everyone isn't the same!!

Live Reporting from Viking Rinda Amsterdam to Basel - Cruise Critic Message Bo

Some photos of Breisach ~ 1st looking at the ship from the Cathedral; 2nd looking up at the Cathedral

IMG_0286.jpg.29d07d7147027a58edffe36605f156ae.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg.0daa42739212c5bd354eb3f18c342b0b.jpg

Hello M&T,

Breisach is close to Freiburg, a great university town for exploring. Short train ride away. For something completely different you could go to Neuf-Brisach on the other side of the Rhine in France. It is part of the Vauban fortifications UNESCO world heritage sight. Just a couple of ideas.

A German cruise line is offering an optional bus tour to Freiburg, rather than a tour to the Hofgut (the Viking excursion), by the way. A short detour through the forest landscape is included in that.

notamermaid

• 4 months later...
Hi Tim,

Breisach was a 10:30pm departure, Strasbourg was 6:30pm, left Mannheim at 1pm after the Heidelberg excursion and arrived in Rudesheim at 6:15pm for an overnight stay, left Koblenz at 4am, Cologne at 11pm, and left Kinderdijk at 5:30pm.

Tim

Do you go back to Mannheim after the Heidelberg excursion? I'm reading on one of the Viking itineraries that after the Heidelberg excursion you "re-board your motor coach for the drive to Gernsheim, where your ship has sailed during your excursion."

Yes, that is what we did. We got to Rudesheim around 6. It was fairly cool and getting dark, so we just stayed on the boat. It was disappointing. The dock is a little way to walk which if it were lighter and warmer would not be so bad. I think the only people who did anything at Rudesheim were the ones who took the tour.

• 1 month later...
tulok ~ THANK you so much for posting!! Saw your Basel thread and will read that next!!! I promise I'll be asking lots of questions!!

ninaks ~ thanks for response - GREAT suggestion about getting the ship early and talking to those just leaving - wonderful idea!!! Lake Lucerne was a thought but since we'll be there in December we weren't sure how the area would be. But I'm going to look into the possiility and check if the cog train and gondola run in the winter. Maybe save info just in case. We're just there 2 days and I'm sure time adjustment and the Christmas Markets will keep us busy!!

Not sure that either will be running. The gondola is being refurbished/replaced this fall and won't reopen till Spring 2015 according to this site. http://events.pilatus.ch/aerial-cableway/

This timetable lists the times and dates but there is a reference in the "price" section of the site that lists a December to spring choice and I'm still trying to find out about that. http://www.pilatus.ch/en/railway-cableways/timetable/ I'll update if I find more info as we're going in November.

I have found one early Christmas market in Freiburg, Germany, that opens on Nov. 24th and is only about 45 minutes away on the train.