SPB Evening Options- still trying to decide

We have narrowed it down to the (a) Folklore show option, which seems to have a well rated show with a not so well rated snack "buffet" and the (b) Russian Moulin Rouge, which has a well rated 3 course dinner with a decently rated show.

Is anyone else doing the Russian Moulin Rouge option (looks like it will take us to the Troika restaurant for the dinner and show)?

It is hard to decide between a great dinner or a great show...I want both :D

So many decisions :) Only 22 days to go!! Yippee :p

Thanks for any tips,

Tamara in Texas

To be quite honest, this is the first I'm hearing about this Moulin Rouge show. Do not know anything about it.

Most choices were the Folklore show or the ballet or a few other things.

I had heard several people last year saying they went to a dinner at Catherine's Palace. Now THAT sounds like fun.

Cheers

Len

To be quite honest, this is the first I'm hearing about this Moulin Rouge show. Do not know anything about it.

Most choices were the Folklore show or the ballet or a few other things.

I had heard several people last year saying they went to a dinner at Catherine's Palace. Now THAT sounds like fun.

Cheers

Len

Giantfan13...I wonder if this is a new evening option offered by SPB. I could not find much info about it either. I know that the Troika (The Russian Moulin Rouge Tour) was redone in 2008, but maybe SPB has just started offering this for their groups. The Troika dinner reviews were good. The show reviews were not as good as the Folklore option, but the food reviews were much better at the Troika (Russian Moulin Rouge) than at the Folklore show. It just makes me nervous not being able to find any reviews from people that went with the SPB group.

Thanks for your help,

Tamara:)

Folklore show option, which seems to have a well rated show with a not so well rated snack "buffet"

Tamara in Texas

I don't see how the nibbles at the folklore show can even be rated. ;)

It's not even a snack.

Compare it to the canapés on the ship on captain's night. A glass of bubbly, and something on a stick if the other gannets haven't demolished everything before you get to it.

Surroundings are of decayed decadence, seats are dining chairs, no reserved seating so try to get there in very good time to get good seats - it's quite important.

We were underwhelmed when we arrived, rather wondered whether we'd made a big mistake. But we hadn't - it was a memorable show.

Low-brow & unashamedly for tourists, but a wide range of song & dance & comedy, all well-performed.

Nine out of ten for the show, nought out of ten for the "food"

JB :)

Your take on the "snacks" is exactly what I was afraid of. That is why we were looking at the Russian Moulin Rouge option. I wish there was an option where the show was good and the food was good. It seems to me that we are going to have to decide between a good show or a good dinner :( That is a shame to me.

The show at the Troika does get good reviews, they are just not as good as the Folklore "Feel Yourself Russian" show.

Decision, decisions....

Thanks for your input,

Tamara in Texas:)

Your take on the "snacks" is exactly what I was afraid of. That is why we were looking at the Russian Moulin Rouge option. I wish there was an option where the show was good and the food was good. It seems to me that we are going to have to decide between a good show or a good dinner :( That is a shame to me.

The show at the Troika does get good reviews, they are just not as good as the Folklore "Feel Yourself Russian" show.

Decision, decisions....

Thanks for your input,

Tamara in Texas:)

Just a thought, Tamara:

Only the two of us on our tour were booked for the folklore show and because of the time-scale, at the end of the day (around 5pm) Alla didn't take us back to the ship with the others. Instead we were dropped at a bar close to the theatre & told we'd be collected in 60 - 90 minutes. Sure enough, a girl showed up & took us round to the theatre when the doors opened. We were then left at the show on our own, and a car (included in the standard price) was waiting for us at the end of the show to take us back to the ship. We weren't hungry & that worked fine for us.

But that should be a good enough time-slot to be taken to a restaurant instead of a bar.

Yes, it means adding the cost of a meal to your budget.

And if neither staff nor menu speak English, choosing what to eat might be errrr, a bit of an adventure :D

And you'd need either some roubles in your pockets or a restaurant that accepts plastic.

But I'm sure it could be arranged. :)

BTW 1. We always like to have some local currency in our pockets. So we took enough roubles for the guide's tip (any currency gratefully accepted).

They proved useful for a few beers where only roubles were accepted. And we made up the tip shortfall in euros - could just as easily have been GBP or USD. Meant we had local money but no risk of left-over roubles when we sailed away.

BTW 2. We were still in our day clothes. But this is a tourist show, not the ballet - no need to change.

We were going to do a night show too but figured after a day of intensive touring, we'd be too beat to enjoy it, and we were right. Maybe we're getting old.

There was a couple in our group that did go to the show. It was the same for them as mentioned above. They did not go back to the ship after the tour, they went direct in their day clothes.

We did a cruise with Princess in 2010 and are going again this July. In 2010 the ship had an evening program on the first night with Russian singers and dancers. It was VERY good and free . Check with your cruise line as they may have the same thing. If they do, no need to go out in the evening. Relax and get ready for your second day.

<<<Karen>>>

We were in St Petersburg June 7 and 8, and were booked on SPB's Deluxe 2 day tour plus evening option of the Russian Folklore show.

After touring our last venue for the 1st day, we were then taken immediately to the Folklore show. We did not return to the ship first. We arrived around 6:10pm, and were some of the first to arrive at the theater. They don't let guests into the theater until 6:15pm.

You are offered wine or vodka when you arrive. Souvenirs are also available for sale. I would recommend skipping the shopping until intermission, consuming your wine or vodka quickly, and then immediately proceed into the theater to get a seat - they are not assigned. The show was very good. At intermission, you are offered a selection of canapes, along with wine and some non alcoholic options. Do not assume this will be sufficient for your dinner. The portions are very small and limited. We found we needed to get a bite to eat at the buffet when we returned to the ship around 9pm. During the intermission, you also have the option of purchasing souvenirs.

I was a little wary that the show might be a little too touristy. I was pleasantly surprised. It is very professional and entertaining. If you have not seen it once, I would certainly recommend it as part of your first trip to St Petersburg.

Yes, it means adding the cost of a meal to your budget.

And if neither staff nor menu speak English, choosing what to eat might be errrr, a bit of an adventure :D

And you'd need either some roubles in your pockets or a restaurant that accepts plastic.

But I'm sure it could be arranged. :)

A good restaurant with English spoken, that accepts credit cards, is an easy recommendation to make in St. Petersburg.

A good restaurant with English spoken, that accepts credit cards, is an easy recommendation to make in St. Petersburg.

I am glad to hear that there might be time in between the day tour and the show to grab a bite to eat. That would allow us to see the better show and maybe a nice meal. I will email SPB and see it the extra time is still allotted between the tours.

I still think it is unusual to not find much info on the Russian Moulin Rouge option. It must be new. I will ask SPB when I email them and report back when I find out. That option sounds great on paper....but sometimes reality is different :)

Thanks again for all the info :D

Tamara in Texas

Archived