Sept Med Cruise Excursions

Bornbeau

Am going on a med Cruise on the Equinox in Sept and need some advise on excursions. We have booked excursions in Rome and Naples But need some advise on others.

We are thinking of one of three in Athens, Athens sightseeing & Acroplis, Ancient Athens, Plaaka and Shopping or Walking Tour of Athens. Anybody have any opinions on these three.

Am also looking for ideas for Malta, and I am told we can pretty much do Myknos and Santorinni on our own

We are newbies to the med or Europe for that matter.

Am going on a med Cruise on the Equinox in Sept and need some advise on excursions. We have booked excursions in Rome and Naples But need some advise on others.

We are thinking of one of three in Athens, Athens sightseeing & Acroplis, Ancient Athens, Plaaka and Shopping or Walking Tour of Athens. Anybody have any opinions on these three.

Am also looking for ideas for Malta, and I am told we can pretty much do Myknos and Santorinni on our own

We are newbies to the med or Europe for that matter.

I have been to Athens twice (once on a land trip) and believe taking an excursion there is a waste of money. The Metro is a 15-20 minute walk and you can take the Metro to the Acropolis station, see the Acropolis, then the new Acropolis museum, some of the other ancient cites, even take in the Plaka district. Just download the Athens Metro information. It is easy to do and cheap.

Mykonos is a great Dty port. If you want to explore the city, easy to do. If you want to take the ferry to Delos, east to do. If you want to go to the beach, a little harder, but manageable.

Santorini is where I don't Dty. It is such a fantastic place that I wanted to see the most. With all the ships in port, the cable car is a huge delay, and tendering off your ship is a long delay unless you take an excursion.

We took an excursion that included a winery and were off the ship right away, saw most of the island. The rest of our group of 13 did Dty, they never got out of Fira. No taxis were available, the buses were full and the queue to the bus was very long. It took so long to go up on the cable care, some took the donkeys and that did not go well.

I suggest taking an excursion in Santorini.

Agree about Athens--the tram is quick and cheap. Most importantly, get off the ship as early as possible to avoid big crowds on top. We took a cab to the tram stop as our tootsies were so tired from long days of touring. The Plaka is right below the Acropolis and we enjoyed seeing the schlocky shops and having a nice Greek lunch there. Others on our cruise said they wished they had joined us rather than taking the expensive ship tour!

On Mykonos, I highly recommend going out to Delos, a sacred island where you can almost feel the ghosts of the ancients bustling past you. There is a ferry right from 'downtown'. Spend a couple of hours doing that, then head to one of the beaches nearby for some fun and sun.

Archived