Mini-suite balcony vs regular balcony

shirljean

What is the difference between a mini-suite balcony and a suite balcony? Also the difference between a mini-suite balcony and a regular balcony? We have gotten coerced into one of these, and not being used to NCL, we do not know the difference. Help!?!!

On the Jewel class ships, the mini suite balcony is slightly larger, deeper, than a regular balcony cabin balcony. On the Sun, the regular balcony cabin balconies are about as large as the Jewei mini suite balconies. That's all I'm familiar with.

On the Dawn and Gem the mini-suite has a curtain dividing the bed and sofa~~so you have the sofa, T.V. and desk by the balcony and they have a tub in the bathroom~~balcony is just one big cabin and just a shower~~that is how it was in "2009" and "2011" anyway! I am going on the Breakaway and am taking a studio~~we will see! Good luck!:)

On the Dawn and Gem the mini-suite has a curtain dividing the bed and sofa~~so you have the sofa, T.V. and desk by the balcony and they have a tub in the bathroom~~balcony is just one big cabin and just a shower~~that is how it was in "2009" and "2011" anyway! I am going on the Breakaway and am taking a studio~~we will see! Good luck!:)

Thank you. Not really worth the price, it sounds like anyway.

What is the difference between a mini-suite balcony and a suite balcony? Also the difference between a mini-suite balcony and a regular balcony? We have gotten coerced into one of these, and not being used to NCL, we do not know the difference. Help!?!!

Balcony cabins are smaller than Mini-Suite cabins, and have a slightly smaller balcony. Mini-Suite cabins also have a larger bathroom, with a tub (which has rather high sides, and is a drawback to many). The name "mini-suite" is rather deceiving, as it should technically be referred to as simply a "deluxe balcony" since it comes with no perks other than more space.

Suites come in all shapes, sizes and price ranges. Suites also come with a large number of excellent perks, which for many make the price well worth it.

If you're talking about the price difference between a balcony cabin and a mini-suite cabin, it depends upon whether or not more space, a larger balcony, and a better bathroom are worth it to you or not.

If you're looking for perks and pampering, you might want to consider making the jump to one of the "S" category staterooms. If a balcony is important to you, but you wish to keep the cost down, I would recommend booking an SG category stateroom, where you will get all the perks, plus a balcony, without blowing the budget out of the water. ;)

If you have specific questions, fire away! There are lots of helpful folks on this board who will do their best to help you get familiar with NCL and the various offerings.

Happy sailing!

:)

We were just on the Jewel in a mini suite. The balcony is a little larger, which is nice. What we really noticed was the larger bathroom. We were on the star a few years back and found the bathroom a bit snug for our likening. The extra space was well worth it for us.

The sofa is also a little larger in the mini too.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

mini suites are MUCH better if you have more than 2 people. In a standard balcony, the 3rd (and 4th) beds sit between the king bed and balcony door, and block access to the balcony. This isn't the case in a mini. There are pictures of a mini-suite in my Jewel Alaska review in my signature area. If it's not much more than a balcony, it's a much nicer room in my opinion.

We rather like the the poorly named mini-suite. ;) We like the extra space, the curtain dividing sleeping from living area (as we don't always sleep on the same schedule). I like the larger bathroom with the tub and the dual climate zone which allows us to get the temperature in the room just right.

On our next cruise the mini was cheaper than the aft facing balcony, so we went mini.

If you can make the jump to a suite try to snag one of the aft penthouses on deck 10. The rooms are nice and the balconies are huge. That's where the real benefit is. We took our first cruise in a mini-suite and that was mostly because our 18 year old son was with us and the curtain between the sleeper sofa and the bed made for a little more privacy. That was the main reason I upgraded from the balcony I had originally booked.

Thanks to everyone for their replies to my question. We are only two retirees, and do not necessarily need the larger room. We only take showers (not baths), so do not need a bathtub. Being retired and wanting to cruise two or more times a year, we wouldn't pay for the higher priced suites. I do appreciate everyone's views on this.

Thank you, Shirley

Archived