Portofino or Chop

I'm going on NOS in Sept. and i'm very excited to try the specialty restaurants. I like both Italian and American foods, but I think I will only be able to go to one of them. I know it's hard to compare the two, but any suggestions??

thank you

I was wondering...if you wanted and could stomach it, could you order a second steak at Chops or is it one item only from the menu?

If you could stomach it, you could order as much as you want. But after the appetizer, salad, meat, sides and desert, you won't need to eat for a day!!

I loved both Chops and Portifino's. The food and the service were just wonderful. I agree with the other posters.. there is no way you would be able to eat two steaks, but you could if you wanted to.

It would be hard for me to choose one, both of them on the Jewel and the Mariner were just fantastic,, but it sounds like you are a steak lover so go for Chops. Get the shrimp coctail if you like shrimp... Yummy

Just to teach ya a bit... There is a thread about 10 below yours with this title

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=74843

You should *try* to do a search just to see if anything recent can answer your question. Often times you can find your answer in a very recent post that is on the second or third page (this forum moves pretty quick).

Also, when your asking people to choose between two or a few options a poll work best. Just like the post I have provided above, a poll provides the most legible answer to your question.

Enjoy these boards and take in their wealth of knowledge!

Chris

P.S. Chops is better

I understand that Portofino's requires men to wear a jacket. However, if we ate there the day we boarded, is the dress code relaxed like it is in the dining room? Thanks.

Cathy

Men dont have to wear a jacket. The way I understand it is Chops and Portofinos follow the ships recomended dress for dinner.

Chotton - thanks. That sure makes things a lot easier. We're going on the Empress 11 day cruise and husband is taking a tux. Taking another suit or jacket and pants is just not an option. I suppose we could eat there on formal night but I'd prefer eating in the dining room those nights. Again thanks.

Cathy

We have eaten at the Portofino on Mariner, Jewel and Brilliance. Happily, we have never been disappointed. I do think the restaurant is more elegant on the Mariner than the other two ships, but that is a minor difference.

We always considered Chops, but the menu seems too heavy. On a cruise ship, it just seems as if food is ever present and as the cruise wears on a heavy meal such as Chops grows less and less inviting, especially on a long cruise.

A passenger on our last cruise asked me about Portofino and when I told her how much we enjoyed it, she replied that in her city there are so many Italian restaurants, it was just plain silly to spend extra money on a ship to eat Italian food.

Actually, there are many excellent Italian restaurants where I am from also, but we like the Portofino on formal nights when there are very few people there and it is relaxing to get away from the crowds for a leisurely, peaceful dinner. But each to his own preferences and priorities. That's the beauty of cruising these days. One has plenty of options.

Archived