Our trip on Celebrity Infinity with a 22 month old

Hello...I thought I would share our experience to perhaps help anyone taking a cruise, specifically on Celebrity. We went to Alaska for 10 days and it was beautiful. The ship was great and the staff was as helpful as possible. We had a great trip although this post will sound negative. I just want anyone who cares to know the negatives of travelling with the 22 month old because the positives are all in the Alaska exerience. We travelled with my nieces and nephew. The nieces 9 and almost 7 used the Fun Factory and LOVED IT!! They were apprehensive at first but once they went in and met a few girls, they stayed there the whole time. One met a friend that lives close so they will continue their friendship here at home too.

However I don't think that the Infinity is a good place for toddlers that are old enough to walk/run and play but are too young to use the Fun Factory. Our daughter (22 months) didn't have ANYTHING to do to expend her energy. Unless you have a FV, SS, or Royal/Penthouse Suite that have some room where a child can run/play. Her four year old cousin would try to keep her playing, but she wanted to run and play with him. We couldn't go up to the running track because it was WAY to windy and cold. We even bundled her up and tried. Many people told us to hold on tight to her or she'll blow away!! :eek: When walking back from lunch or dinner, we let her run down the hall. If we stayed out there for a few minutes or she was "trying" to talk to her cousin whe in the hall, we got negative looks from the people in/going to their cabins. One lady yelled at us because they were playing "peek-a-boo" too loudly in the hall. I totally understand her- but from my end there was NO WHERE else for her to play. I took her back into the cabin.

We stayed in the CC category cabin. No room to move. I had them remove the glass table so she could use the floor to play. We kept the toys we brought along under the desk so she had 3 feet by 5 feet. We brought a travel bed rail and used the couch(unfolded) the first night - a crib sheet fit perfectly over the cushions and we put waterproof mats down on the cushions first- just incase. The other nights we unfolded the couch and put pillows and blankets around her which worked well for her. WHEN she finally went to sleep. She had tons of energy because she couldn't do too much all day and it stays light outside until 10:30-11 or later- so it was tough to get her to go down for the night.

I was hopeful that she would be able to eat macaroni and cheese or chicken breast and avocado or something. No luck. All the meals were fancy kid meals(chicken w/bone-in and gravy with whole veggies). One night they tried to bring plain hotdogs, but she had lost it by the time they finally came out. Finally our Asst. Maitre D got her the mac and cheese-(baked- like a casserole) on the 5th night- but by then she had no tolerance for the crowded noisy dining room. They tried to get the food out quicker for the children- it still took atleast 15 minutes. She wasn't used to waiting that long and having that may people and it freaked her out... so my husband and I took turns taking her out of the dining room and then gave up and one of us ate in the cabin with her for the last 4 nights. We tried "casual dining" but it was still quite formal. They put us in the corner and she was able to play on the floor by the table with her cousin. All she ate was bread. Then I would take her back to the cabin and grab some hot water from the buffet and make her some cereal. They also had mini yogurts that she liked too. It had chunks of fruit, but I just pushed those aside so she would eat without gagging.

Bottles and Sipper Cups: BEWARE- bring dishwashing soap. The water is hot enough in the bathroom sink, but you have to wash those there and there's not a lot of drying room. It worked out fine, but we were washing everynight. We either filled up with milk from the machine or asked the men at the buffet for cartons for the "baby". They were prety quick to get one for you. We tried grabbing some in the morning but the refridgerator doesn't keep the stuff very cold. We even had out steward clear it out. Our room steward Gatot was Awesome- and did everything he could to make it a good trip for all of us.

We did have a nice trip, however, our daughter didn't pay much attention to the beauty of Alaska. It was a lot of work and not a lot of relaxation. While in many of the ports, we walked her around- in the stroller. Too many people and cars on the streets. Sitka was great because it had a park like marina area that we let her run in. That was our favorite stop. ISP was nice, a little muddy on the walk to Hoonan, but we had to let her walk/run. She got muddy when she fell. We let her run in the forest/park right when you get of the boat behing the red Cannery. We even sat her at the table on the balcony for lunch to let her enjoy the fresh air and sights. She would look at all the water as we were cruising, but not much interest.

So think about it before you book your trip. If you are prepared to be moving and constantly entertaining your child ALL day- then go for it. Alaska is GORGEOUS! There might be some better Cruiselines that will be more accomodating for that age child.?(Princess,Carnival, Disney)?

Thanks for your review! I always wondered how selfish I was being by cruising with my husband and leaving the kids with Grandma and Grandpa. But I figured they just wouldn't have a good time! Now I see that someone actually had that experience. My youngest is turning 3 at the end of the year and we are taking the kids on their first cruise in January. I am really looking forward to it!

As for other ships, from my experience the only ship that will allow kids under 3 in the kids program is Carnival. I have heard that NCL does too but the parents have to be onboard, take a pager and come back to change all diapers. Both Carnival and NCL take kids into the 'programs' at age 2. Even Disney doesn't let them into the kid programs until age 3.

I completely understand your comments about no room to play. That was always one of my reservations about cruising with very young kids. Did you try using that lounge where they hold the ballroom dancing lessons (Constellation??? They have the L-O-V-E sculpture outside.). Often in the day it is quite empty there.

Thanks again for the info!

I completely understand your comments about no room to play. That was always one of my reservations about cruising with very young kids. Did you try using that lounge where they hold the ballroom dancing lessons (Constellation??? They have the L-O-V-E sculpture outside.). Often in the day it is quite empty there.

Thanks again for the info!

Being that we went to Alaska and it was so chilly outside ALL the time at sea- most of the activities were held in there. So that area was not available. Plus, people went there to watch the scenery and look for wildlife. Even when the children's talent show (1 hour@ 2 in the afernoon) was going on in there, there were several comments about what a place to have that when people are trying to watch for whales.

I really looked for any possibilities. The area with the ping-pong tables was good only if there wasn't anybody playing ping-pong. But that was seldom.

Now that it's been a few weeks, in reflection, we really had a nice time aside from the space issues for the DD.

bplazo- we were on a family trip and we didn't choose the cruiseline nor did we want to miss out on a chance to be with our family because we have a young child. We met some great people and all the pictures are amazing too.

AnotherVirginCruiser, thanks for the information about cruising with a 22 month old. I wanted more details on what to expect on the cruise and you have answered some of them. You have already replied to my question on the Alaska board about excursions and I appreciate it. I am not sure how Princess will be about toddlers. I think they cater to a much older group 60-70 yr old's. It should be interesting.

Safety? I was thinking about getting a safety harness with a strap (look like a dog leash). Would this be useful on deck? I am concerned about her getting too close to the edge and slipping.

Life jacket? Did you take your own or do they supply a child size life jacket for emergencies?

Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.

AnotherVirginCruiser, thanks for the information about cruising with a 22 month old. I wanted more details on what to expect on the cruise and you have answered some of them. You have already replied to my question on the Alaska board about excursions and I appreciate it. I am not sure how Princess will be about toddlers. I think they cater to a much older group 60-70 yr old's. It should be interesting.

Safety? I was thinking about getting a safety harness with a strap (look like a dog leash). Would this be useful on deck? I am concerned about her getting too close to the edge and slipping.

Life jacket? Did you take your own or do they supply a child size life jacket for emergencies?

Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.

I took a 20-month-old on Princess. The staff was very nice to him. Also, he could go to the kids area if he was accompanied by an adult, though he wasn't that interested in the kids area. It was a carribean cruise, so the weather was perfect outside, and he loved to run around by the pool and dance by the band by the pool. Everyone knew and (mostly) loved my son by the end of the trip. Yes, it had it's challenges! Too bad Princess would not let us order from the dining room menu for room service. A couple of nights that Tommy wasn't in the best mood, I wish we would have been able to just have the dinning room food in our room, like some cruise lines do (and Princess used to!). The room service menu was decent, but nothing like the dining room food.

And I did bring both a child-size vest and a harness, though the only times I used either was for excursions, where we were on sailboats.

Have fun.

Shellie

Shellie, thanks for the information. I need all the information I can get. I am starting to stress about being prepared for this cruise.

Did you plan any excursions ahead of time? I had a few picked for our Alaska cruise but after posting my questions on the Alaska board I may change that.

Also, did you use a crib from Princess? I really don't want to lug the pack-n-play.

Thanks

As i read this post, it brings back memories of my cruise last summer w/my 16 mo old son. We went on the NCL Dawn, which is very kid friendly. but still it was not an easy vacation by any means. i think i was in a little bit of shell shock, having cruised 3 times before my son came along. Dinner was always a big production and the one night when we all finally got to sit down together (i went w/my family as well), my son threw up all over me in the dining room!! i was horrifed and felt so badly for the other guests. but apparently my brothers told me that after i left, the other passengers were very sweet and concerned if we were ok. (thankfully :) ) the washing of the bottles in the sink and the constant "hunt" for milk was a little challenging. the worst was when we went to the private island, where the ship catered the lunch, there was no milk to be found ANYWHERE. i hunted all over in the brutal heat, dragging around my son. the staff claimed they would bring some back on the next tender that came over, 4 or 5 tenders later...no milk. so we just decided to pack up and go back ourselves. so my last night on the ship, i told my husband..."never again". i mistakenly thought it would be what i had previously experienced as a "vacation" (relaxing, sunbathing, enjoying dinners and shows...haha!!) but it was exactly what life is like now when i am home. (actually the vacationing is harder). but i am not complaining i love being a mom. needless to say, i am booked for an Aug 21 departure on RCL Explorer of the seas ;) so i guess i got over the trauma and i feel now that my son is a little older (almost 2 1/2), it will be a little better...or not...but at least i know what to expect!! lol

as i was rambling i forgot to include, i cruised celebrity's galaxy for my honeymoon 5 years ago and although, i thought it was beautiful and had a nice time. i would not choose them for a family cruise, especially not w/a small child. i felt the crowd was def older and more reserved and i remember thinking at the time they would not do well w/children. Norwegian and Royal Caribbean are geared more towards children.

When we got to our room, we asked the room steward for a child size life jacket and one was brought to us. we also found that sticking to a very relaxed beach type of excursion is best, so if you have to return to the ship early you can.

oh...and if you have a laptop..bring it!! we brought one and my son's favorite DVD's (the wiggles) and watched it a hundred times, but it kept him happy :)

Gina

we also found that sticking to a very relaxed beach type of excursion is best, so if you have to return to the ship early you can.

oh...and if you have a laptop..bring it!! we brought one and my son's favorite DVD's (the wiggles) and watched it a hundred times, but it kept him happy :)

Gina

I couldn't agree more - Easy beach excursions and DVD players are the WAY TO GO with a toddler :D The Alaska cruise excusions might be a bit more challenging.

Anyway, like you, I apparently did not learn my lesson and I will be bringing my 2 1/2 year old on a cruise this fall. What can I say, I'm addicted to being with him, hahaha. But I am really looking forward to my upcoming springtime cruise, where he will already be 3 and will be able to go to the kids club and give me a little break, yippee!!!!!!

Shellie

Shellie, thanks for the information. I need all the information I can get. I am starting to stress about being prepared for this cruise.

Did you plan any excursions ahead of time? I had a few picked for our Alaska cruise but after posting my questions on the Alaska board I may change that.

Also, did you use a crib from Princess? I really don't want to lug the pack-n-play.

Thanks

I didn't use either, since I just had him sleep with me (obviously I would not recommend this for toddlers who aren't used to occasionally sleeping with mom and dad, they'll just think it's playtime and never go to sleep, hehehe). It worked for me, espeically since the rooms are pretty small, and a crib or playpen would take up a lot of room. But I think that Princess did provide cribs for those passengers that needed them. Everyone recommends that you bring your own linens, though.

I did schedule all my excursions ahead of time, so that I would have one less thing to do on the ship. However, except for one tour that consisted of ALOT of time in the bus (won't do that again with a toddler), my excusions were pretty relaxing. My son was actually able to take short naps on the sailboats that we chartered, and the day at the beach he slept in the taxi there and back. But, my son is not very "routined" and so this did not affect him - other kids with more structure might not be able to just fall asleep anywhere. So, I don't know if all this rambling helped, but I hope so and I hope you have a great trip!!!

Shellie

Shellie and Kevinsmom this is great info and I appreciate it. I can relate to "can't find milk" story because that is the same problem we had in Jamaica this year. They only sell cow's milk at the larger groceries in downtown Negril so we had to pay $20 for a taxi only to return and find that one gallon was sour. (We took a 15 yr old baby sitter with us to Jamaica and it worked out great!)

I get the impression from some people that I am crazy to take her along but if I didn't take her, I would be miserable.

Thanks again for the info, you have really eased my mind.

I get the impression from some people that I am crazy to take her along but if I didn't take her, I would be miserable.

i am the same way!! it is defintely not easy traveling w/a child, but i know that if i left him home i would not enjoy myself. some people are able to do it and more power to them, but for me it just isn't an option right now!

Have fun!

gina

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a 10 day cruise to Alaska on the Regal Princess with our 20 month old son and I can totally relate to your stories. For the most part, he did really well and we were fortunate to have tolerant traveling companions (who have grandchildren of their own), but it was definitely not the same as our past cruises without a toddler.

As for Princess, the staff were very friendly towards our little one and the waiters went out of their way to flirt with and amuse him. We managed to make it through traditional dinners every night, which was no small feat considering they usually lasted an hour and a half. What saved us during dinner were crayons, snacks, puzzles, and cups of ice (he really has a thing for ice!).

We brought our portable DVD player, which was a lifesaver, since the sun rises very early in Alaska (around 4 a.m.) and our son wakes up shortly after sunrise. Almost every morning we would pop in a Baby Einstein DVD to keep him entertained while we showered and got ready for breakfast. The cabin walls are very thin so we didn't want to wake our neighbors. The DVD player also came in handy during disembarkation when we were forced to camp out in the lounges for almost two hours before they called for our group.

We made many trips to the Childrens Center, where he was allowed to play with toys and the older children as long as we accompanied him. Ironically, though, he had just as much fun climbing up and down the stairs (too many times for his tired folks to count. . .) and riding in the elevators as he did playing with toys.

For ports, we visited Ketchikan, Juneau, Haines, Victoria, and cruised through Tracy Arm. We ended up not going on any shore excursions, since the weather changed so much from day to day and we needed to be flexible around our son's naps. Ketchikan was a cute town and easy to walk around. My son was delighted when we saw a man pull a very large salmon from the river. In Juneau we caught a bus for $5 each way to the Mendenhall Glacier, which was gorgeous. Haines was pretty simple, but far less touristy than Juneau. In fact, the day we were in Juneau, there were four other cruise ships, so it was a bit of a madhouse by the end of the day with everyone rushing around to buy souvenirs. The t-shirt shop across from the main pier had lots of reasonably priced items, so if you're running out of time, that one store is a good place to shop. As for the Mount Roberts Tramway, we were told by locals not to spend the $24 to ride it unless you could see to the top (we couldn't, since it was cloaked in fog), so I'm afraid we missed that experience.

I can't say there weren't moments when I longed for the carefree days of our past cruises, when we would go dancing and to the shows (instead of taking turns going to the show while the other parent put our little guy to bed), or leisurely chatting over dinner (rather than picking melting ice cubes out of my lap while thrusting crayons at him and simultaneously popping bits of food into his mouth -- or my own).

Even so, and I may be a masochist here, I must admit that when I remember how my son's face would light up when the violinist and accordion player would play the Chicken Dance at our dinner table, or how he would happily eat the most outrageous gourmet food (lobster, Beef Wellington, cream of porcini mushroom soup. . .), or just how nice it was to be together as a family in the beautiful wilderness of Alaska, I don't regret any of it.

I am cruising next summer with my son, who will be 18 months old at the time. We have never taken him on vacation, as he is only 6 months old now. My sister brought here older daughter on her first cruise when she was 14 months old, and things went fine for her. After having her second baby, she brought both kids on the Norwegian Dawn last April when the older one was almost 3 years old and the little one was 6 and a half months old. The kids behaved very well, and my sister did not have to leave the dining room during any meals, except to change the baby's diaper every now and then. But NCL has an excellent kids menu also. They offer pizza, macaroni and cheese, burgers and hot dogs every night in the dining room. So my older niece was plenty happy with it. I chose not to go this years because I did see how much stuff they needed to bring for a 6 month old baby (formula, baby food, etc.), and decided that it will be a lot less packing when my son is 18 months old, just the formula alone adds a lotmore to lug on to the ship. Diapers are not as bad because they are not as heavy as taking prepared formula or taking powder formula and also bringing a ton of baby water with you to mix it with.

As for entertaining a child, a Caribbean itinerary or maybe Mexican Riviera would most likely be better in my opinion. You can take them for walks on the deck as the weather is much warmer than an Alaska sailing. My husband has always wanted to cruise to Alaska, but that is something we are waiting many years to do because we just don't feel it is for small children.

I am not expecting my next cruise to be anything like my 12 previous cruises without a child. However, I am looking at it realistically, and although you can never fully understand until you experience it yourself, I think we will do fine with it. We already decided that we are not using the cruise ship's babysitters, that we would rather come back to the cabin earlier than we used to, and get up earlier and now enjoy more of the daytime activities and the deck rather than the nightlife. Plus, the last thing I want is to stay up until 3AM partying while my baby is in the cabin with a total stranger, then get up at 6 or 7 the following morning and take care of him all day. It wouldn't be fair to him, we feel. And I am also one of those people that can't vacation without my son. I would rather make a ton of other sacrifices than go without him. Not that I am totally against it, just that I could never do it myself.

Bonnie

HappyJ - I am so happy to hear about your positive experience. Absolutely, traveling with a toddler is NOT like pre-kid travels, that is for sure!!! It definitely has its challenges. But is has its own special rewards, too. When I took my 20-month-old last November, we slept-in and ordered room service every single morning (except a couple of early port days). Had I not had a little one I may have forced myself to do more, partake in more activities, etc., you know what I mean? But having my son made me slow down alittle and, in some ways, I think I enjoyed it more. Whenever I show him pictures of him in these beautiful places his face lights up. It is really sweet. Anyway, glad to hear you had a great time!

Shellie100, I think what you said is wonderful! I think everyone here understands that cruising as a couple or as a single is way different than cruising with kids and/or babies. WHat you did sounds great, and I actually force myself to do so much during cruises also. Having more relaxation time sounds great!

We are going to take advantage of the daytime activities rather than the late-night ones we usually do. Besides that, I have been on so many cruises that the late-night stuff was starting to get repetitive. I don't mind missing it, and I don't even mind missing the shows if necessary. however, on NCL the early show is at 7:30, and dinner begins as early as 5:30, so as long as our son behaves himself, we will sit in the back of the lounge and enjoy the show! That way if he gets too loud we can leave right away so that others are not disturbed by him. And if he can't sit through the shows, so be it. We will still have a ball!

Bonnie

Our son is now five and has always traveled with us. We have found that when he was smaller and the weather was bad we could often borrow an empty conference or banquet room for him to run around in. Actually, on car trips we used to bring his little 3 wheel scoot bike and he would ride around in the unused banquet room quite happily. As long as the room was free we have never had a hotel or ship turn us down.

Absolutely, traveling with a toddler is NOT like pre-kid travels, that is for sure!!! It definitely has its challenges. But is has its own special rewards, too.

Shellie100, thanks for posting such positive comments. I have to admit that after reading some of the "no infants on cruises" posts on the Princess board, my husband and I were pretty worried about bringing our son with us. But we just can't imagine traveling without him. And as it turned out, I can't count the number of older passengers who cooed at and flirted with our son. In fact, one elderly couple who were missing their five grandchildren even offered to babysit!

I've never been one to stay up late anyway, so missing out on the shows wasn't a big deal. We shared some wonderful dances with our son when the quartet played ballroom dance music in the lounge before dinner. I like to think that he'll grow up with a love of music and dancing, and what better way to expose him than on a cruise? I hope you have a wonderful cruise this fall and please let me know any other tips you've picked up.

And Dosi, what a great idea about bringing a three wheel bike!

• 4 weeks later...

Cruising with our 22 month old was wonderful and we had a great trip. Thanks again to all of you who answered my pre-cruise questions (especially Shellie100).

We returned this week from 7 nights on the Dawn Princess in Alaska. The cruise was great and all of us had a fabulous time. The weather was perfect and most ports were 75-80 degrees (yes, we were in Alaska). We did an excursion in every port. The Misty Fjord Seaplane in Ketchikan with Carlin Air, the whale watch (with Capt Larry) in Juneau and the Dog Sled ride in Skagway. She enjoyed each excursion and then feel asleep at the end. She was a little "princess" on formal night in her evening gown. She loved all the attention from the staff and other guests. You could tell that the staff had children at home because they always stopped what they were doing and played with her.

I used several tips from the message boards and just posted some new ones on another thread (Advise when traveling with a baby). The portable DVD player was a must have because once she ate dinner, we would put in a DVD and she would sit quietly the entire time we ate. I think the gentle rocking of the ship must have relaxed her because one night we went to a show and she fell asleep after the first few minutes.

The only thing I would have done different was in my cabin selection. A window or balcony room would have been better than an inside room. During nap time, it would have been nice to look out the window and see the beautiful scenery. Oh well, I will know for next time.

Thanks again for everyone who offered tips. It was a great help.

cruised carnival miracle last year with 2 year old daughter.It was very interesting to say the least.We are doing voyager in 2 weeks (she's now 3 1/2)and we expect a totaly different cruise

1.She's potty trained

2.she interacts with children alot better.Last year she was very shy

3.we are leaving her 10 month old brother with relatives so my wife can relax for a change.There is 4 in our party so my daughter should have plenty to do.

4.Remember when traveling with little kid keep the excursions simple .Beach breaks are wonderful ,dragging a toddler on a 6 hour excursion through the rain forest in 100 degree heat -bad idea

5.consider a room with a balcony because you can usually get the dining room menu in your room,nothing like eating lobster in your shorts on the balcony while your kids nap or play in the room

I'm glad you had such a great trip!

I posted elsewhere re: concern on excursions with a 2 year old. When you traveled by tour bus, were you able to install a car seat? Was you child okay in a helicopter? Was the whale watch trip boat hearty enough for a young toddler? I've been wondering if I'll be able to do any Alaska excursions with a2 year old. It sounds as if you managed really well!

cruisinwith2kids, I didn't take the car seat but I noticed that some taxi's in Alaska had them available for use. When we took the bus, I held her on my lap. I don't recall seeing seat belts so a car seat wouldn't have worked if I had brought it.

We did a floatplane (seaplane) and she had her own headset which she took off right away. I did not bring ear plugs put the pilot had some he gave me. (Bring earplugs just in case). Carlin Air in Ketchikan was very kid friendly.

She was great on the plane and looked out for a while and then fell asleep. The pilot said most of the kids he takes out, falls asleep before it is over.

We were going to do the helicopter in Juneau but the company I called charged the full adult price for a child because they require that the child be in a car seat. The company used by the cruise line did not charge if they were under 2 but it was too late for us to book.

We used Orca Enterprises (Capt Larry) and we had the new boat. It was very roomy and the ride was smooth. There were several children on board including a 4 month old in a stroller. I took her life jacket and had her wear it when we were out on the deck.

We did the Dog Sled ride in Skagway but she really didn't care much about it or the dogs. There were no little puppies. She liked the stuffed animals better than the real dogs.

I hope this helps. I also took the portable DVD player on every excursion, just in case!

Archived