Lots of questions, I hope this is ok! - Mainly kid related

texansandsea

We've cruised with my Grandson since he was 3. He didn't have any problems with potty training so he had been trained since two. I realize there are circumstances such as the one mentioned by a parent previously. It will make the cruise much easier if your son is potty trained. My Grandson had been told about the kid's club and we went to the first night's meet and no wanted no part of it either. He stayed with us and we had the best time enjoying the cruise through his eyes. As far as keeping him late at the kid's club, we found that by bringing him to the cabin, getting him settled in for the night, and making him a part of the nightly routine with us there helped him and us be at ease and ready for the day in each port. He ate every meal in the MDR, and enjoyed getting to try new foods. He's now 19 and a Diamond member of RCCL. He has great manners and social skills, some of which he gained by being on cruise ships. He has confidence about ordering new foods. For his high school graduation gift, we took him on a Med cruise because he's interested in history. It's been the best memories in our life..getting to see places through his eyes from age 3 to 19 as he's traveled all over the Caribbean islands, Hawaii and the Med. I wouldn't take anything for it.

Even if your child is potty trained by your cruise date, just be careful that a new diet coupled with overwhelming excitement can affect kids in different ways. What I did was take my child on frequent trips to the bathroom. Sometimes they have to go yet they don't feel the need, or they "forget" to ask.

this discussion reminds me of that seen in Caddy Shack.

germs are one thing but swimming around in basically someone's toilet?

is there a problem the kid isn't trained by 3yo or have you just not got around to it?

I see on this thread that you felt the need to ask this potty-training question twice for some reason.

Not all children are potty-trained before the age of 3. My son has autism and potty-training was a very, very long and difficult process. It had nothing to do with "not getting around to it". Other children can have other challenges and developmental delays that make potty-training very difficult. Please don't be judgmental - you never know what families are dealing with.

That being said, of course I would not have allowed my son to swim in the ship's pool before being potty-trained - swim diapers or not. It's not allowed.

Exactly. Even non-autistic kids who may be on time for other milestones may take a while to potty train. It just doesn't happen overnight, and for a while, there could be minor setbacks. As one poster stated just above, the excitement of going on a vacation could cause enough distraction to cause an accident.

So again, don't make judgements about a child when it comes to toilet training. Don't assume it's the parents or the child that's creating the delay. Sometimes, it just is what it is.

Archived