Epic Vs. Dawn: Suite on Dawn

Mandy923

We are currently booked on the Epic durning early Dec-on the Kids sail free promotion.

We have a Balcony room and a studio. It's my husband and our 3 children (ages at sailing: 17, 8, 5)

December isn't my first choice month to cruise in. I prefer mid Jan. but we were taking advantage of the KSF.

For only around $200 more- we can sail on the Dawn in a 2 bedroom family suite with balacony, during a time I prefer (mid Jan.)

I'm really torn!

I prefer the ports on Epic, but honestly, we are not picky at all and can enjoy ourselves no matter the desitination.

So my question is: Is the suite life on the dawn going to be better than a non-suite life on the Epic?! Or am I better off sticking with the Epic??

I know the Dawn doesn't have the big waterslides (which 2 of my kids would probably love), does the Dawn have the trampoline thing? THe rock climbing or rappeling wall? Or the Spiderclimber thing?

I'd like to also add- this will be our FIRST NCL cruise!! We've been on several RCCL ships, and the Carnival Glory 2X

Personally I'd choose Dawn suite over Epic balcony anytime - suite life on NCL is great (our two next cruises will be in suites but this Feb we sailed on Epic in balcony).

However, Dawn is an older ship that doesn't have any of the newer "kid attractions" like climbing/rappeling, trampolines (at least outside, don't know about inside kids club), bowling etc. So for kids, I'm pretty sure that Epic would be more fun.

Tough choice.

I think the kids would prefer the Epic with the Nick shows, water slides and water park. Your 17 y/o would love their studio. So I bet if it was up to them, they would pick Epic.

But if you are paying, you have more of a say. I love the suite life but all those restaurants on Epic are tempting.

Because you are taking your kids, I would vote Epic. If you were not taking kids, I would vote Dawn since it is the time you prefer to cruise.

Tough choice.

I think the kids would prefer the Epic with the Nick shows, water slides and water park. Your 17 y/o would love their studio. So I bet if it was up to them, they would pick Epic.

But if you are paying, you have more of a say. I love the suite life but all those restaurants on Epic are tempting.

Because you are taking your kids, I would vote Epic. If you were not taking kids, I would vote Dawn since it is the time you prefer to cruise.

David's post is spot on.

The suite life is great, but in my experience my kids do not benefit from the suite life as much as the parents and would trade suite perks for kid friendly amenities. There is much more to do on the Epic IMHO.

We have sailed both ships in suites, the most recent being the Family suite w/balcony on the Dawn (SD). We had a PH suite and Haven access on the Epic. I know my kids would choose Epic over Dawn on the same itinerary and same dates.

Personally, I like the suite life on NCL, but would probably go for the Epic in this sitauation as well as we had a blast and there is so much more to do compared to the Dawn.

We've been on both ships, and would choose Epic over Dawn if we had family with us.

Don't worry about missing suite life on the Epic - there are tons to do, and a great variety of eateries. Your kids will enjoy the kids club on Epic - it's a fun ship.

My vote would be the Dawn. We sailed the Dawn in 2006 with our kids who were then 10, 8 and 6. It was our best vacation ever! We sailed on the Epic the first year (think it was 2010) and it was our 2nd least favourite cruise. The kids didn't enjoy it as much either. Weather could have had something to do with it since it wasn't as warm and was very windy when we were on the Epic. We had a suite and adjoining balcony. The balcony cabin was very small and my son basically didn't fit on the sofa bed. The pools are obviously nicer on the Epic but overall, the Dawn and the suite life win hands down.

As others have said though, it is totally a personal choice. I will be in the Dawn in another 39 days and it will be our first time on it since the refurb. I'm hoping we have just as much fun as we did the first time and can't wait for our first owners suite!

Thank you to everyone who chimed in! I really appreciate your input.

I've made the choice to stay with Epic. My 17yr old WAS totally looking forward to having the studio to herself, and my little kids have already been watching YouTube videos of the slides!

I'm very interested in experiencing Epic myself. I've heard some mixed reviews, but I think it will fit my active family just fine!

Guess I'll find out for sure in 6 months :)

We were on Epic back in January with our boys (6 and 4 at the time) and they LOVED it. Booked again in the Nov 30th sailing and they can't wait.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you to everyone who chimed in! I really appreciate your input.

I've made the choice to stay with Epic. My 17yr old WAS totally looking forward to having the studio to herself, and my little kids have already been watching YouTube videos of the slides!

I'm very interested in experiencing Epic myself. I've heard some mixed reviews, but I think it will fit my active family just fine!

Guess I'll find out for sure in 6 months :)

Your kids are going to love Epic. Your 17 y/o will love the feeling of living alone in such a posh area of the studios. So much to do and so much to eat :)

Archived