Extremely Loyal NCL Cruiser thinking about Carnival Splendor?

SilentHill

Mix it up! Try something new. If you don't, you'll probably be left wondering what it would have been like. The "you get what you pay for" theory when comparing royal, NCL, carnival or any other mainstream cruise line doesn't apply, IMO. None of these cruise lines are on the high end of cruising. I was expecting something magical on my first NCL cruise with all the freestyle hype, but in reality it's not very different from Carnival, Royal, or Princess. They all have their version of anytime dining, all have specialty restaurants and activities, etc... Dress code is so relaxed on the other lines also. If I could get a similar cruise and pay half the price, I'd be all over it. Now you can go on 2 cruises instead of 1! I would never limit my vacations to the same place, same cruiseline, same ship every year. Different is good for many, although some are opposed to change and only like what they are used to (my parents come to mind :rolleyes:).

. The "you get what you pay for" theory when comparing royal, NCL, carnival or any other mainstream cruise line doesn't apply, IMO. ).

While that is an opinion, I wonder how it is even possible.

Do you see what CCL is charging these days?? Many over on the CCL boards are rejoicing, stating that taking a CCL cruise right now is cheaper than staying home.

I just don't see how it is fiscally possible to offer the same product at the rates they charge.

My last CCL cruise was a 15 day Hawaii/RT from california. While the cruise was relaxing and very nice, it offered NOTHING like NCL offers in way of entertainment/music and things to do.

If you are looking to relax, and enjoy the bliss of not having to cook your own meals and make your own bed, then Carnival is absolutely fine. That's enough for some people and that's good.

It sounds like you have already made up your mind and are looking to CC to confirm you made the right decision. Your aft balcony on Breakaway comes at a premium as it is prime real-estate. If it were me, I would probably look at a balcony cabin elsewhere on the ship for several hundred probably in savings. Or even an inside for even more. With all the public space, including free adults only area and great entertainment, you probably won't spend that much time there anyway.

For entertainment, all free, Broadway show Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor, Headliners Comedy Club, Howl At the Moon, Fat Cat's Jazz & Blues Club with Slam Allen, 80's Theme Party, Glow Party, and fireworks. Only the Cirque show comes with dinner and has a fee. Only Epic and Breakaway offer a cirque show, the other NCL ships have none, so it is not offered free elsewhere on NCL as you stated. Also free are the Aqua Park Slides and the Ropes Course.

There are at least 6 of the 27 dining venues that are complimentary.

I doubt if your Carnival ship has anything comparable to this line up, so you really can't compare the two. It comes down to what you can afford or feel comfortable spending. If it were me, I'd tinker with cabin selection and try to get the price down.

We would never, ever, even consider a room without a Balcony. we spend a LOT of time on the balcony, we are not social people, so being trapped in a room without access to the fresh air would be horrible for us. It's also the reason we sail NCL (Table for 2 are plentiful). We probably spend about 16 or so hours a day in the cabin when at sea.

Also, on the Gem two years ago, there was a show that was cirque in nature, sure it wasn't called cirque, but it was a cirque show, and it was free.

All that said, we are 99% probably going to keep the booking on the Breakaway, mainly due to the negative reviews of Carnival and some of the comments in this thread, and DW said she had a bad feeling about Carnival.

We tried CCL and weren't very happy. Our cabin was larger, which was a big perk, but that was all. It really depends on your personal preferences. We just booked our entertainment for our upcoming trip on the breakaway, the only extra was the Cirque show which includes a meal, all of the other entertainment was included.

Do it! Carnival's dining is not as rigid as suggested... You can show up pretty late and still be seated and enjoy a nice dinner in the MDR. We would commonly arrive 30-45 minutes late and after the 2nd day our servers knew our style and would bring the food out quickly.

Many consider that behavior to be rude to the staff and other passengers. You can do anytime dining instead.

Archived