Tipping in Australia and New Zealand

I didn't know there were any papers that leant to the left.:rolleyes:

That depends on how far of a lean you are looking for -- you could read the Australian version of the Guardian for a start (that has quite a lean to it) and (not newspapers I know) anything associated with the ABC.

:)

Barry

You have been reading too many left leaning newspapers.

Barry

Then care to share how many countries are ahead of us, if we're not "one of the strongest in the world."

Note: that doesn't mean we are the strongest...

I said that the poster reads too many left leaning newspapers - I didn't say that I agreed or disagreed with her assertion that Australia has the strongest economy in the World.

Therefore -- do not assume, read between the lines or otherwise extrapolate upon simple statements. What I do think - is that a statement such as that is meaningless and unproveable. Firstly, what exactly would be the characteristics of the "strongest economy". How would it be defined?? Would it be, for example, one whose existence depends very largely on mining of a finite resource. Would it be one whose health is very dependent on the health of another large Sovereign nation.? Would it be one whose currency is highly susceptible to manipulation, the value of which is highly dependent on forces larger than it??

Barry

You have been reading too many left leaning newspapers.

Barry

That is hilarious.....if you knew Kylie that would probably be the last thing she would be reading!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

I said that the poster reads too many left leaning newspapers - I didn't say that I agreed or disagreed with her assertion that Australia has the strongest economy in the World.

Therefore -- do not assume, read between the lines or otherwise extrapolate upon simple statements.

If you advise not to assume... then why assume that "the poster reads too many left leaning newspapers"?? Which was your sole comment.

If you advise not to assume... then why assume that "the poster reads too many left leaning newspapers"?? Which was your sole comment.

Heres a tip, do not assume anything and certainly do not assume what people say or don't say in their posts is what they meant.:D

Heres a tip, do not assume anything and certainly do not assume what people say or don't say in their posts is what they meant.:D

Making a post with an assumption is liable to encourage questions about other assumptions. :D

Making a post with an assumption is liable to encourage questions about other assumptions. :D

My posting wasn't an assumption - it was an accusation. Apparently an incorrect one. It was similar to an accusation that I made to my wife today - she has watched too much American TV. That one is correct.

Barry

My posting wasn't an assumption - it was an accusation. Apparently an incorrect one. It was similar to an accusation that I made to my wife today - she has watched too much American TV. That one is correct.

Barry

Which is worse?

American TV or Australian "right leaning" commercial TV/ media.:D

Hi I have cooked for about 15 years and my kids both wait tables. You do not need to tip, the kids are paid between $25-$35 an hour, so we are not on minimum wage.

Use tip jars for baristas etc. or if you have a good offer to by the Chef a beer.

If the wait staff are exceptional give them no more than $5.00

Hi I have cooked for about 15 years and my kids both wait tables. You do not need to tip, the kids are paid between $25-$35 an hour, so we are not on minimum wage.

Use tip jars for baristas etc. or if you have a good offer to by the Chef a beer.

If the wait staff are exceptional give them no more than $5.00

And we are back to topic, well done and welcome to CC. Great advice for visitors to Australia.:D

Use tip jars for baristas etc.

I don't drink coffee but I will tip any barista who can do their job quietly without all that banging out of used coffee grounds and excessive shooshing noises. Drives me nuts.

I don't drink coffee but I will tip any barista who can do their job quietly without all that banging out of used coffee grounds and excessive shooshing noises. Drives me nuts.

Why didn't you add that the smell is overpowering as well, all those rich wet coffee grounds.:D

I just enjoyed a cruise from Sydney to Pacific Islands and I did tip.

On the second day I gave my steward $20 and on the second last day I gave him another $20.

On the second last day I gave the table waiters $50 to share.

As tipping had also been included in our fares I wanted to make an extra effort and acknowledge them in a more personal way. :)

Archived