Considering the South America-Antarctic cruise--Which is best eastward or westward?

ksc1984

Well I pretty much covered it in the title, but is there any advantage to going east or west on this cruise? Also are the Falklands really a possibilty or just a teaser for my husband? Thanks for your help.

We did this cruise almost 10 years ago on the Ryndam. We did the pre-cruise in Santiago and then boarded the ship. The coast and towns of Chile are lovely.

But when you get to the Chilean Fjords, they are spectacular!!! I think it builds anticipation for what is to come with Antarctica.

We got to the Falklands and tendered ashore, but were only there about an hour, when the ship's whistle blew and everyone was to go back aboard. The winds were changing and the captain was concerned about the shallowness of the water and getting stuck, so we reluctantly returned to the ship. Had to wait for a while for a ship's tour group to come back and then we set sail.

I would love to go back again. Hope the next visit, we'll have more time on the Falklands.

I've done the Rio to Valparaiso cruise twice, and the Valparaiso to Buenos Aires cruise once (last January).

I can't say that one way was better than the other, just different. I was able to see things on the eastbound cruise that I had missed on the westbound, just because of the time of day (or night) that we passed.

I will say that the Chilean fjords were more spectacular on the eastbound cruise than westbound because westbound---after Antarctica---they were anti-climatic.

The westbound approach to Antarctica itself was better than eastbound as we went through Iceberg Alley at the beginning, from early morning, and it just got better and better. On the eastbound cruise, Iceberg Alley was at the end of the day. Although still a great sight, the bergs were getting smaller, not grander, so something was lost on that.

I've made it to the Falklands once out of three tries. The weather is that difficult. But it was a really nice stop. A bit of Merry ol' England in the cold South Atlantic.

Either way you decide to do this cruise is good. Just do it!

I was on the eastbound cruise in January. We did not get to the Falklands. I noticed that the cruise before ours and after ours, both westbound trips, DID stop in the Falklands. Due to the political climate in Argentina right now, I think you may have a better chance of stopping in the Falklands if you are on the westbound trip. Either way, the scenery is spectacular.

Thank you for your helpful replies. Sounds spectacular!

It is!!

RuthC has said it all, so I will add only that it is a good idea to be out on the deck for Lemaire and Newmeyer: better photos and an up-close-and-personal experience. Hope Bay and Iceberg Alley, too.

We've been 4 for 4 at the Falklands, so you never know! The tenders can be rough there, however!

...I will say that the Chilean fjords were more spectacular on the eastbound cruise than westbound because westbound---after Antarctica---they were anti-climatic.

Thats a good point. Everything seems anti-climactic after Antarctica.

We would never go again because the first time was perfect - a flawless cruise experience. I don't think we could relive or recapture those moments.

I would say to anyone thinking of going - JUST DO IT.

Smooth sailing...

I was on the Antarctica cruise last Feb going east to west. It was absolutely wonderfull and I don't think it matters which way you go.

As I wrote in my blog that I kept during this amazing adventure:

"Somebody on another blog said that the best way to do this cruise is from west to east. Because otherwise, after being to Antarctica, the second half of the cruise cannot compare anymore. I do not agree. I do not think there is a “best way”. Every place we have gone to, every region we have sailed through; all have their own specific characteristics and beauty. Be it the stark and rugged landscape of the Falklands, the majestic and breathtaking Antarctica, the wonderful old school architecture of Montevideo, the lively almost European streets of Buenos Aires, the rolling green hills and background of mountains in Ushuaia, the beautiful tranquil fjords of Chile….all is beautiful in its own way. And we are so privileged to have been able to sample these places. Even if only for a short while. "

Either way is spectacular.My only advice is to get a shore side cabin - port side/left on eastbound and starboard/right on westbound.

The best of both worlds is an aft facing balcony,which we had on our cruise.Only downside is there is motion here in high seas but we didn't mind it and the unobstructed,panoramic view going throuth the Chilean Flords and around the Cape was worth it.

The prevailing winds are from the west in those high southern latitudes, and at usually quite a considerable speed. So, on deck you should have, on average, a lower net wind speed when the ship is going west to east than when it is going east to west. Of course, much of the cruise is going north to south or south to north so it would't matter much then.:)

Archived