Norwegian Star SA versus SB Owner's Suites

digitaldan1

The Old Battle Axe and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary next year by booking the October 2014 Star TA from Copenhagen to Miami. Right now we're booked in 12002 (and very happy with it). Still, I'm a curious type (former journalist) and am wondering what everyone has to say regarding the difference between the DOS and the OS. I know about the obvious (balconies versus no balconies and very different décor), but wonder if there are other things we should be considering.

Also, while we're experienced cruisers (including multiple deployments aboard ship while on active duty in the USN) I'd love to get advice from the experts on these boards regarding trans-atlantic cruises, flying to and staying in Copenhagen and any other advice you'd like to share.

It seems as if we are going to be neighbors, we're in 12000 and this is also out first TA. You'll love 12002, DH and I did Alaska in that suite and it was fantastic! Never once missed a balcony. Can't really give you any info on the OS, but I'm sure other CC members will provide all the infomation you need.

We stayed in 12002 on the Star and 10006 on the Dawn (Alaska & Bermuda). We had 2 kids with us so the 10006 (one of the OS) works out a bit better with the extra 1/2 bathroom and they would go sit out on the side balcony before we got up.

However, for the TA and with only 2 people, I'd take 12002. The living room windows will be great for all those sea days - the living room is huge. You get a big living room, big bedroom, and big bathroom. The one odd thing is you have to go through the living room to get to the bathroom.

We found both areas to be very quiet but on 12 it is a nice easy stroll to the pool or buffet.

Also, while we're experienced cruisers (including multiple deployments aboard ship while on active duty in the USN) I'd love to get advice from the experts on these boards regarding trans-atlantic cruises, flying to and staying in Copenhagen and any other advice you'd like to share.

Stop by the roll call for the 10/01 cruise also the 10/19 cruise there is a fare amount of info on Copenhagen and getting there.

Thanks Dexddd and time2cruise!

Hi CP50, nice to meet one of the neighbors. Are you on the roll call for this cruise? I can only imagine how terrific a suite like this would be on an Alaska cruise. I'm hoping we at least get to see some of the departure and English Channel navigation during daylight to take advantage of the great views from our suite.

This is our first TA together, and on a cruise ship. I've actually done four crossings, two on a Navy destroyer and two more on an amphibious assault ship. The suite we're booked on for this cruise would be bigger than cabin on the amphib and bigger than the crew's dining area on the destroyer.

I suppose part of my curiosity on this subject is nomenclature related. I'm wondering how this is a "Deluxe" OS and SA when the OS with 2 balconies is an SB but more expensive? It's a trivial thing I know, but I have more than 400 days to dream about this cruise. I might as well work the time for all it's worth.

Btw, we're from New Jersey. I'm a college professor, writer and photographer. The Old Battle Axe is a graphic designer. We have no kids, but three cats who are as close as we ever plan on coming to children (actually, the Old Battle Axe insists I count as one).

How about you folks?

Sorry I am on that cruise this year. No idea about the roll call for 2014. As far as a hotel in Copenhagen many from my 2 cruises are booked at the Crown Plaza booked with NCL. It was less expensive then direct with the hotel and includes transfer to the port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Sorry I am on that cruise this year. No idea about the roll call for 2014. As far as a hotel in Copenhagen many from my 2 cruises are booked at the Crown Plaza booked with NCL. It was less expensive then direct with the hotel and includes transfer to the port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Sorry, that part was directed at CP50. I referenced your post to say thanks for the information and that I would check those roll calls for the information on Copenhagen.

Couple notes on the video for 12002. The refer was in the cabinet under the large coffee maker. They had a dvd player and tv in both the bedroom and living room (on the Dawn DOS it didn't look like they put the DVD player in the bedroom). There was also a small tv above the tub.

Where the dining table is at, there is like an alcove and you can see down the whole side of the ship when over there.

In regards to SA vs. SB, on the Dawn and Star the SAs (and a whole bunch of other rooms) were added a couple years back when they took out the Spinnaker Lounge and moved it. I'm only guessing they categorized them as DOS since there were DOS already on some of the other ships that were between the OS and GV and the Dawn and Star didn't have any SA at the time.

As far as pricing from my experience, the SA are usually less than the SB on the Dawn and Star. I'm guessing it has to do with the lack of balcony. On the plus side the rooms are new decor. The other thing we noted when on the Dawn in a SB was there was a lack of TLC - the light switches were worn, the hole in the wall from the old tv to new tv was never filled in, wood was worn in places, a couple knobs were worn, etc.

We did 12002 this past December. It was amazing! Brand spanking new, everything bright and shiny. Nicest suite we've ever stayed in. We had friends in an SB and I think the SA was head and shoulder nicer. I think with the SB your paying for the balconys. The view from 12002 is amazing.

Thanks for the info! I figured it would be something like that. We're not that into balconies particularly forward facing ones and it seems like that wouldnt make a lot of sense on a transatlantic cruise with a lot of sea days anyway.

I'm sure we'll have a fantastic time and love the suite. We prefer slightly older ships because they represent a great value. As former sailor, Im used to roughing it. We've cruisedin both the highest level suites and the lowest level cabins and always had a wonderful time.

Since this is our 20th anniversary, we wanted to do something special.

Thanks for the info! I figured it would be something like that. We're not that into balconies particularly forward facing ones and it seems like that wouldnt make a lot of sense on a transatlantic cruise with a lot of sea days anyway.

I'm sure we'll have a fantastic time and love the suite. We prefer slightly older ships because they represent a great value. As former sailor, Im used to roughing it. We've cruisedin both the highest level suites and the lowest level cabins and always had a wonderful time.

Since this is our 20th anniversary, we wanted to do something special.

Hopefully the Old Battle Axe will like it.

Thanks Dexddd and time2cruise!

Hi CP50, nice to meet one of the neighbors. Are you on the roll call for this cruise? I can only imagine how terrific a suite like this would be on an Alaska cruise. I'm hoping we at least get to see some of the departure and English Channel navigation during daylight to take advantage of the great views from our suite.

This is our first TA together, and on a cruise ship. I've actually done four crossings, two on a Navy destroyer and two more on an amphibious assault ship. The suite we're booked on for this cruise would be bigger than cabin on the amphib and bigger than the crew's dining area on the destroyer.

I suppose part of my curiosity on this subject is nomenclature related. I'm wondering how this is a "Deluxe" OS and SA when the OS with 2 balconies is an SB but more expensive? It's a trivial thing I know, but I have more than 400 days to dream about this cruise. I might as well work the time for all it's worth.

Btw, we're from New Jersey. I'm a college professor, writer and photographer. The Old Battle Axe is a graphic designer. We have no kids, but three cats who are as close as we ever plan on coming to children (actually, the Old Battle Axe insists I count as one).

How about you folks?

Hi digitaldan1, as it turns out this will be an Old Battle Axe Cruise. We, there are three, have left the other halves at home. We are all retired educators/administrators. I am the only one in the group on CC and I have posted on the roll call. DH and I have cruises in October and May, so I won't feel bad leaving him at home to babysit our canine baby.

Oh goodie!

I'm going to be surrounded.:o

Still, we do have something in common. I'm an educator too. I teach at Drexel University and several other colleges.

And dexddd,

the Old Battle Axe will love it. She was part of the process of picking it out and has stayed in suites before. She knows what to expect. (She also knows I refer to her as the Old Battle Axe. It's my pet name for her. She calls me her ball n'chain).:p

Couple other things come to mind. There is a ton of closet space. There is a big closet on the far side of the bedroom with a table with a chair closer to the windows. This is where the hair dryer is at.

They closet to the left of the coffee machine is about the same size as the one in the bedroom. It had one side for full hanging and the other had half hanging and half drawers as I recall.

We had a couple fogged windows as some others have had since - not sure if those were ever fixed.

If you do a search for 12002 or 12502 on here you will find a bunch of pictures on various threads.

We were in 10006 on the Star this past January out of New Orleans for a Western Caribbean 1 week cruise. The cabin was awesome - especially the side balcony. We had some raining weather, and the balcony was fabulous. A great quiet place to read a good book and watch the world go by. When not there, you could find us on the front balcony enjoying some sun. We liked it so much we just booked a Panama Canal cruise for Feb 2014 and are again staying in 10006. Enjoy your TA Cruise - what a great way to celebrate your Anniversary!

Gym2

• 2 weeks later...
We were in 10006 on the Star this past January out of New Orleans for a Western Caribbean 1 week cruise. The cabin was awesome - especially the side balcony. We had some raining weather, and the balcony was fabulous. A great quiet place to read a good book and watch the world go by. When not there, you could find us on the front balcony enjoying some sun. We liked it so much we just booked a Panama Canal cruise for Feb 2014 and are again staying in 10006. Enjoy your TA Cruise - what a great way to celebrate your Anniversary!

Gym2

Gym2,

I had to jump in here (with apologies to the OP for digressing) to say DW and I are booked in 10006 on the Star for the Panama Canal cruise (west-to-east) with embarkation on October 27, 2013 (my 64th birthday, 100 days from today). Check back after November 10 (or after Thanksgiving) for our comments about the cabin, the ports and the excursions. We LOVE suites with great balconies (the best is cabin 10000 on the Norwegian Pride of America) and have been told by two different people that we have the PERFECT cabin (fore and starboard balconies) for the canal transit west-east.

LVCruiser (no longer in NORTH Las Vegas)

More after the cruise

No apologies necessary. Digressing is one of the 10 things I'm best doing at myself. I started this thread to get other cruisers opinions on the different owner's suites so your insights are valuable to me.

thanks!

Dan

Archived