Purchasing a SLR Camera

A camera is an investment, and Nikon and Canon have been in the DSLR game longer than about anyone. It's their primary consumer business, and they aren't going anywhere. I've seen others come and go.

For a point & shoot, buy whatever has the features you want. They are all about the same quality.

Ken Rockwell is the BOMB! Best place to get unbiased info. By the way, I think he was the one who called the lens I mentioned above "life-changing." That's a pretty big compliment, coming from a guy like him.

I guess I don't consider that lens heavy, as most of my lenses are F/2.8 which are double the weight.

B&H is another good place for accessories, but again, I wouldn't buy a lens or body there. One other thing, if you buy from a reputable local camera place, they will spend the time to actually teach you how to use the camera--well, at least the basics. Another tip is to buy used glass. I buy my lenses used from a reputable place with a money back guarantee. Saves me a nice chunk of change. I wouldn't buy a used body though--generally speaking. I bought my D100 used from a friend who I know takes good care of her gear, and it had very low accuations--5000 if I recall. I think I paid $100 for it, great deal, but not something a beginner should even consider due to the many potential pitfalls in used bodies. I also wouldn't buy used glass unless you have a really reputable shop to buy from.

Amazon, Adorama and B&H are the best and safest places to buy a lens or body. They will be around for problems and issues. Local shops have been closing at hyper-speed and the rumours of Best Buy bankruptcy are increasing.

A camera is just an an electronic device that should be purchased at the best price. All manufacturers are pretty much now of equal quality. Present day smart phones provide better quality images than most of the P&S that folks carry onto cruise ships.

Amazon, Adorama and B&H are the best and safest places to buy a lens or body. They will be around for problems and issues. Local shops have been closing at hyper-speed and the rumours of Best Buy bankruptcy are increasing.

A camera is just an an electronic device that should be purchased at the best price. All manufacturers are pretty much now of equal quality. Present day smart phones provide better quality images than most of the P&S that folks carry onto cruise ships.

I don't consider Best Buy a local place. I'm talking about a local non-chain camera shop that can help guide you towards the best camera for your needs. It's the ability to talk to someone who will ask you questions about your plans for the camera and help you choose the best body and glass. Who will,take the time to show you how to use it and answer your questions--even if you come back in six months later. You won't get that type of service ordering from Adorama or amazon, etc.

For lower end DSLR's I would agree with you about quality, but not lens availability or long term market presence. For higher end cameras there is nothing that compares to a Mark V or D3X--unless you go to a wide format, but that's a different conversation.

I have a friend that works in a camera shop and I asked him this same question. He told me that if you purchase a camera outside of the U.S., the warranty might not be honored in the U.S. I would recommend purchasing it ahead of time.

THIS

Nikon and Canon at least are VERY particular about what markets theyll honor the warranties for. If you were to buy a non-US market camera should anything go wrong theyd say tuff luck, take it to whatever country it is warrantied in.

As the owner of several DSLR's, my advice is as follows:

1. Buy it from a reputable camera shop on the mainland USA, and make sure it has a USA--not a "grey market"--warranty. I would not buy a camera from Amazon or wherever, buy from a reputable store where you can speak to a human if there is a problem. Cheapest is not always the best.

2. Buy it several month prior to your cruise so you can learn how to use it.

3. You do not need extra batteries for most DSLR's. I have two Nikon D-70's, a D-100, and a D-300, and they each take 1000 or more photos before running out of juice. (I use a grip on the 100 and 300 and can get 2000+ photos out of each dual battery charge. I use a separate speed light, not the camera's flash.) They also come with a tray that accepts four AA batteries "just in case." I've never used one, and forgot I even had them until the other day when I was digging through a basket of assorted accessories looking for a space lens cap.

4. I'd suggest taking a fresh memory card for each day of vacation. Number them. Keep them in your safe and only bring one and a spare. That way if the camera gets lost or stolen, you still have all the previously taken photos. I like the SanDisk brand, I've got about 20 and in 10 years have only had one fail.

5. Buy the best glass you can afford. If you buy a Nikon, the Nikor 18-200 f/3.5 VRII is a "one lens does it all" solution. It's fairly light and compact for a multi-purpose lens. I took one to Europe last year, and didn't wish for a different lens during the entire trip. I imagine Canon has a similar lens. Make sure to buy a UV filter to protect the lens. If the filter gets scratched, you toss it and spend the $40 on a new one. If the lens gets scratched, you just blew $300-3000.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

ETA: I will buy components like speedlights, grips, and memory cards from Amazon or Adorama or wherever. But bodies and glass I stick to a reputable dealer I've been buying from for over a decade who has always been fair and honest.

#1 agree to a point. the two big online camera retailers (both based in NYC) are as reputable as it gets. One begins with A and the other B (I am not a amazon shopper so I can't say yea or nay on them). You can speak to a human with them...they have these things called telephones :D

#2 could not agree more.

#3 agree again. I have a d7000 with one battery. it will last a couple days without recharging. plus I can bring the charger with me to recharge at night. buying multiple extra batteries (one maybe) is a waste of money and extra weight to carry around.

#4 personal choice. I only have 3 cards. (2 16gb in the camera and a 8gb spare) I shoot only in raw and download everything to lightroom each night. Then reformat the cards and ready for the next days shooting.(and i take a portable usb hard drive to back after I go through and dump the crap ones)

#5 here is where we will not agree. buy best glass you can afford yes. but the uv filter is a waste of money in my opinion. I am not going to put a $40 filter on $2000 lens. The lens glass is a whole lot harder than that filter. (there is a great youtube video of a guy smashing a cannon L lens with a hammer and nothing happens....the lens doesn't shatter. put a filter on and try that...you then have a broken filter and need to figure out how to get it off. Want to protect your lens..keep the lens cap and/or lens hood on.

First off the best camera one has is the one you have with you. Think about if your willing to carry a few pounds around your neck to actually take photos. It's hot, it's humid, and there are many activities to do. There are many options outs there from high quality point and shoots, to the mirrorless smaller cross over cameras that are the in between the pocket camera and the dslr, and there is a dslr.

Second taking great photos extends beyond having a great camera....if you don't take time to learn the equipment you have you will only get out of it what you put into it. While modern cameras will you great exposures in auto mode there is so much more you can get out of a camera by learning the buttons, dials, and the basics of composition. I highly recommend a basic photo class before vacation to get your camera all figured out...you will be so happy you did!

Third... canon fans will say canon is the best, Nikon fans will say Nikon is the best... (I personally shoot Sony for my own reason and love my camera, so Sony is the best, lol... My husband will say canon... We don't share equipment, lol.)... Look at them all and pick what suits your budget, what fits your hands, and what makes sense to you to learn.

If you truly enjoy the camera you purchase you will use it.

Kari

Archived