Excuse me. Did you forget to wash your hands?

Definitely. I, my brother, my mother, and my late father have travelled on numerous cruises (and stayed in one or two hotels) where norovirus has been present. Either we're all fantastically lucky, as in put our money on 32 on the roulette wheel and win three times in a row, or else we are more or less immune to norovirus.

It may be genetic. Who knows. But I put it down to failing to lead the antiseptic lives some people want us to. Not only do we occasionally leave a toilet without washing our hands, but we also pick up food that has been on the floor and eat it anyway (if you can't see the germs they don't exist), we eat fruit without washing it, we even eat lettuce without washing it, and we are all willing to drink from a bottle that has had someone else's lips round it. Even a stranger's if need be.

And apart from my father, who ailed nothing until he had an aneurysm at age 79, we're all still alive.

But this thing I am certain of. If you lead an antiseptic life, if you wash your hands fifteen times a day, if you refuse to pick up salt and pepper pots in case someone else has touched them, if you even (as someone earlier on the thread suggested) eat a chocolate bar with a knife and fork, then by the time you're 80 you will need a lot of pills and potions for all your ills. You may need the pills and potions anyway, that's luck of the draw, but if your body hasn't had the training to cope with germs when you're young, it won't be able to cope when you're old.

That's nice...:rolleyes:

MEANWHILE BACK IN THE REAL WORLD...you're STILL spreading germs to others who do not have the super immunities your family seems to have...:(

...and NO ONE is saying wash your hands 15 times! Really, how many times a day unless you work for a restaurant are you handling food?:rolleyes:

GIVE ME A BREAK HERE!:mad:

So does anyone know if having had norovirus gives one any immunity to getting it again? I'm pretty sure that I've had it before. Maybe more than once. Is it like the cold with many forms? I hear that they are working on a vaccine for it. In human trials right now.

Nope, no immunity, no tolerance....

So does anyone know if having had norovirus gives one any immunity to getting it again? I'm pretty sure that I've had it before. Maybe more than once. Is it like the cold with many forms? I hear that they are working on a vaccine for it. In human trials right now.

It's a bit like a clod virus - there's quite a lot of varieties, though not thousands I don't think, possibly not even hundreds - and it mutates slightly so new forms appear and (I hope) disappear.

Archived