Fireworks!

Jade13

I never noticed this thread back at the 4th of July time, but just wanted to add a little detail for anyone looking to shoot fireworks in the future. Advice given by AW Boater and Dodger501 is in line with my own technique, and like Dodger I tend to start around F10 and go smaller from there - it does allow you to get away with longer exposures that still don't blow out during the bright bursts, and lets you often capture multiple bursts. Another idea that can be very useful is to use an ND filter - doing so allows you to get away without a too-small aperture (avoids diffraction and helps expose sky a bit better), and keeps the color of the fireworks bursts rather than having them look too white. I've gone so far as to shoot with a 9-stop ND400 filter, which is almost as dark as welder's glass! 30 second exposures at F3.5 still didn't blow out the scene.

BTW, to another who mentioned not having a fancy camera with lots of settings - you don't really need one. If your P&S camera has any longer exposure mode or capability to set anything manually (a priority mode, a scene mode for night shots, etc), all you need is a tripod and self-timer to snap the shots...even P&S cameras can do pretty decent jobs with fireworks. I've shot fireworks with P&S and mirrorless and superzooms and DSLRs - it's all about longer exposures, tripods, self-timers or remote releases, and a little bit of timing.

original.jpg

original.jpg

These two were done with a P&S superzoom camera, many years ago:

original.jpg

original.jpg

Go some good results with these settings. Check your first few shots, then adjust depending on conditions. Find solid ground if possible. no decks or wooden structures that moving people will cause vibrations.

ISO 100

F-stop: F/11

Speed: 4 sec

Focal length 56mm (84mm effective in DX mode)

600765_581193831920133_650422024_n.jpg

580316_581193965253453_226855383_n.jpg

485487_581193851920131_1207358573_n.jpg

Beautiful!!

I never noticed this thread back at the 4th of July time, but just wanted to add a little detail for anyone looking to shoot fireworks in the future. Advice given by AW Boater and Dodger501 is in line with my own technique, and like Dodger I tend to start around F10 and go smaller from there - it does allow you to get away with longer exposures that still don't blow out during the bright bursts, and lets you often capture multiple bursts. Another idea that can be very useful is to use an ND filter - doing so allows you to get away without a too-small aperture (avoids diffraction and helps expose sky a bit better), and keeps the color of the fireworks bursts rather than having them look too white. I've gone so far as to shoot with a 9-stop ND400 filter, which is almost as dark as welder's glass! 30 second exposures at F3.5 still didn't blow out the scene.

BTW, to another who mentioned not having a fancy camera with lots of settings - you don't really need one. If your P&S camera has any longer exposure mode or capability to set anything manually (a priority mode, a scene mode for night shots, etc), all you need is a tripod and self-timer to snap the shots...even P&S cameras can do pretty decent jobs with fireworks. I've shot fireworks with P&S and mirrorless and superzooms and DSLRs - it's all about longer exposures, tripods, self-timers or remote releases, and a little bit of timing.

original.jpg

original.jpg

These two were done with a P&S superzoom camera, many years ago:

original.jpg

original.jpg

I love your pictures.

Disney Land?

Thank you - Disney World actually...the first few are at Epcot, and the last two at Magic Kingdom. Great place for fireworks shooting, since they have 3 different parks that each have their own fireworks...EVERY night!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few of my favorites. I just settle myself in my camp chair, bulb setting, F9, manual infinity and hold the button down for about a count of 4 to 6. I've learned to listen and look for the little red light in the sky. I have even learned to move the camera to create some unique movement shots. Have fun and practice and any event you can.

ImageUploadedByForums1374810702.452720.jpg.d27e2fdbc8eb9df2d9d55926988a1392.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1374810725.585890.jpg.5bc5d16754639756be6cdec5806ce574.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1374810826.722217.jpg.02f815347be5855065b58684926d99e2.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1374810871.967795.jpg.caa0aca7254f72130d77454a4feda76f.jpg

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

ImageUploadedByForums1374810460.366195.jpg.363ad1737595493d38505e887f7cb760.jpg

Thank you - Disney World actually...the first few are at Epcot, and the last two at Magic Kingdom. Great place for fireworks shooting, since they have 3 different parks that each have their own fireworks...EVERY night!

When we were younger -- we used to go to Disney World -- loved watching the fireworks at night.

At one time we could sit in the Rose Garden in Epcot and drink a glass of wine while watching the fireworks.

Here are a few of my favorites. I just settle myself in my camp chair, bulb setting, F9, manual infinity and hold the button down for about a count of 4 to 6. I've learned to listen and look for the little red light in the sky. I have even learned to move the camera to create some unique movement shots. Have fun and practice and any event you can.

[ATTACH]280265[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]280266[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]280267[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]280268[/ATTACH]

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Great pictures - we don't attend too many events any more -- can't stand the mobs.

Archived