Tendering in Charlottetown, Gaspe, Sydney, and Bar Harbour

I am on the same cruise as Alwalaska and have been toying with renting a car as well - Would I have time to do the Charlottetown, Cavendish, Summerside, Charlottetown loop and still see some of the historic sites of the town.

Not big into Avonlea or Green Gables but want to see PEI National Park and some Lighthouses and the Confederation Bridge if possible.

I have priority tender so should be ashore early.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks again everyone. I think I will pack a soft sided cooler. That is a great idea. As soon as I get home I will add all the info from your links to my plans. I'm glad the gouda lady shop is still there. I didn't see any current info about it.

I am so excited. Thanks all.

sent via forum app on my S4

• 2 weeks later...

Urban trekker:

Just the drive from Ch'Town to Summerside via Cavendish, with an aside to Bordon which is one end of the Confederation Bridge, would use up +/- 3 hours tops. If you want to see a National Park with white sand dunes and a small lighthouse check out Brackley & Dalvay National Park. The link is below. It's much closer to Ch'Town (15 - 20 mins) and and you will drive along the coast line and over the Covehead Bridge at the Covehead wharf. Depending on when you are here, the fishermen could be actively fishing from the port. They fish lobsters from there but the season is in May & June. This park is in a much more natural state as there is much less tourism development in the area. BTW Don't overlook the old estate home know as Dalvay by the Sea.

The historic sites of Charlottetown are all within walking distance of the cruise port. Taxis are on a zone system so a 5-6 block ride to the center of town is +/- 5-6.00 one way.

Hope this helps and enjoy PEI.

Blair

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/pe/dalvay/index.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
We will be on the Norwegian Dawn and we will be tendering in 4 of our ports.

The one I am most concerned about is Charlottetown since we were not expecting that one and already have a car rented and a fairly long day planned.

Does anyone know where the tenders dock in Charlottetown?

And NCL specific - anyone know how long the tendering process takes? We are supposed to arrive at 8am and there are a lot of NCL tours that are at 8:15, 8:30, and 8:45. I'm wondering when we can reasonably assume that we can make it to shore. We do not have access to priority tender tickets, there are 8 of us.

Does anyone have pictures or more info on the walk and stairs required after the Gaspe tender ride? Does anyone know how long of a process this is?

Any info, pictures, or hints on Bar Harbor or Sydney would also be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Hi alwalaska, finding your reports very informative. We will be on the Dawn leaving the 27th as you are, however, you show a different itinery than we. We start at Boston to Portland, Halifax, Charlottetown, Gaspesle, La Baie, and finally Quebec. You show on your map stops in Bar Harbor, Sydney, or am I reading it wrong. I know other cruise lines make these stops.

Deltdad - welcome to cruise critic - many of us on this thread are doing 2 7 day Back to Back cruises from Boston which except for Halifax have different ports of call - some starting the week of Sept 27, 2013, others a week earlier in Quebec City or a week later also from Quebec City - the ports Alwalaska shows are on the 2nd week - or the southbound return back to Boston.

Hope this answer your question and read back on the posts and find out the information on our meet and greet and other planned activities.

See you onboard

Cheers!

Dennis

Thanks Dennis for explaining our ports. I had minor surgery this morning and am having a hard time keeping up with emails, posts, and all.

Come join us on our roll call. The Northbound roll call can be found here.

As Dennis explained, some of us are also on the Oct 4 sailing from Quebec City back to Boston with different ports.

We are having a Meet and Greet on Board, and it is never too late to join in. Today was the deadline for name tags, so please come check out our roll call thread and post you first names and hometown if you would like to have nametags for the M&G.

Deltdad - welcome to cruise critic - many of us on this thread are doing 2 7 day Back to Back cruises from Boston which except for Halifax have different ports of call - some starting the week of Sept 27, 2013, others a week earlier in Quebec City or a week later also from Quebec City - the ports Alwalaska shows are on the 2nd week - or the southbound return back to Boston.

Hope this answer your question and read back on the posts and find out the information on our meet and greet and other planned activities.

See you onboard

Cheers!

Dennis

Thanks for the clarification , I discovered that after reading more of the forum.. I did check out the "roll call" but didn't see anyplace to add our names. FYI they are Bill and Joyce Murphy from Chicago and Guy and Carla Bernichhi also from Chicago. Where we would we find you on board. My stateroom is 11072. Thanks this forum has been extremely helpful in planning our trip

Thanks for the clarification , I discovered that after reading more of the forum.. I did check out the "roll call" but didn't see anyplace to add our names. FYI they are Bill and Joyce Murphy from Chicago and Guy and Carla Bernichhi also from Chicago. Where we would we find you on board. My stateroom is 11072. Thanks this forum has been extremely helpful in planning our trip

Welcome to our Cruise Critic. I have added you to the roll call. Feel free to post in on the roll call also if you have questions. Some of the people have done this cruise before.

There is also a OneNote file that you can find by clicking the link in my Signature with lots of planning info.

Thanks again everyone for all your help here. I am so excited for this trip.

See you onboard

Cheers!

Dennis

Looking forward to meeting you. I hope I am not breaking any rules by mentioning this, but we booked a private tour in Charlottetown lasting 4+ hours and all they had was a 15 passenger van, so we have room for 4 to 6 people if any one is interested, cost will depend on how many, it will be less than the 99.00 tour NCL offers.

Where and when would I look for the group on board?

Looking forward to meeting you. I hope I am not breaking any rules by mentioning this, but we booked a private tour in Charlottetown lasting 4+ hours and all they had was a 15 passenger van, so we have room for 4 to 6 people if any one is interested, cost will depend on how many, it will be less than the 99.00 tour NCL offers.

Where and when would I look for the group on board?

Hi DeltDad.

I know it can be hard getting used to CC when you first join. You can learn a lot more about what we are doing on board at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1543453&page=72. I'm working out of town right now, but on Thursday I will post an update there of our fun activities that we will be doing during the cruise.

There are rules about keeping the threads on their original topics to make it easier for people to find the information they are looking for. Come join us on our roll call and you can ask any questions.

See you on the roll call and on board soon.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be on the Norwegian Dawn and we will be tendering in 4 of our ports.

The one I am most concerned about is Charlottetown since we were not expecting that one and already have a car rented and a fairly long day planned.

Does anyone know where the tenders dock in Charlottetown?

And NCL specific - anyone know how long the tendering process takes? We are supposed to arrive at 8am and there are a lot of NCL tours that are at 8:15, 8:30, and 8:45. I'm wondering when we can reasonably assume that we can make it to shore. We do not have access to priority tender tickets, there are 8 of us.

Does anyone have pictures or more info on the walk and stairs required after the Gaspe tender ride? Does anyone know how long of a process this is?

Any info, pictures, or hints on Bar Harbor or Sydney would also be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

We were on the Veendam in Charlottetown last week with the NCL Dawn. The Dawn anchored in the harbor very near the pier. It was a short tender ride for them to the pier. The rental car companies will pick you up just out side the gate. All you have to do is walk through the terminal.

Enjoy your cruise and your day in PEI.

We were on the Veendam in Charlottetown last week with the NCL Dawn. The Dawn anchored in the harbor very near the pier. It was a short tender ride for them to the pier. The rental car companies will pick you up just out side the gate. All you have to do is walk through the terminal.

Enjoy your cruise and your day in PEI.

Thank you so much! I am so excited and can't wait for our cruise. I hope you had a wonderful trip.

• 1 year later...
Thanks. I'm so glad your post mentioned the new app. I was too cheap to pay for tapatalk. I look forward to the pics.

There are 2 ships in Charlottetown. I hope that doesn't overwhelm the island.

Sent from my PG86100 using Forums mobile app

Pay for Tapatalk? I never paid for Tapatalk - it was free