Alaskan cruise shoe dilemma

AuBiker

I live in the Seattle area and don't need to fly, so I can pack as many shoes as I want. I tend to overdo it. :o I typically bring 2-3 pairs of sneakers, 2 pairs of dress shoes, and at least 2 pairs of flip flops. I wear sneakers to the port, for comfort standing in lines and to reduce bulk in my suitcase, but pack flip flops in my carry-on and change as soon as I get to my cabin. I mostly wear flip flops around the ship during the day, or maybe lightweight sneakers. I wear my good, bulkier sneakers in ports. I only bring hiking shoes (low top, not boots) if I will actually be doing walking on trails. I think I have only brought them once, and will not take them this time. I have never waterproofed my shoes and have never regretted it.

OMG! 11 days. I need to start packing!! :eek:

Hello,

We just returned from our HAL Alaska cruise. We wore sneakers in port - boots aren't really needed. I brought a fancy pair of open toed, low heel shoes that I wore in the dining room, good walking sandals for strolling around the ship and one pair of heels for dancing. Have a great time!

Sneakers/tennis shoes are fine.. hiking boots only if you are really going to be hiking in rough areas.

We did ziplining in a forest in Skagway, didn't need hiking boots and just wore our sneakers.

We did the helicopter glacier tour in Juneau, wore hiking boots and regretted it! They provided special steel cleat boots to go over your shoes.

All the hiking boots did for us was take up valuable luggage space.

So stop, truly think about where you are going. You might only need some nice dress shoes for formal night and sneakers/tennis shoes.. maybe flip flops. Comfortable walking shoes are important for town, especially Skagway.

We have been on two cruises to Alaska. Both were in August.

What type of activities do you have planned? That will determine what type of shoes your wife should pack.

For our Alaska cruises, my wife packed low heeled shoes for dress up occasions and sneakers for around the ship and shore excursions.

Happy cruising! Alaska is amazing!

On the ship & on shore -- comfortable, sturdy & w/socks -- layers for the feet too.

High heels in the evenings, at dinner, may not be a good idea; lower heels are safer.

ENJOY!

I can definitely agree with the high heels at dinner are not a good idea....4 inch heals are hard enough to walk on (for me anyway) on solid ground! Throw in a moving ship and it is an adventure!

In may I wore my UGG boots(sprayed with waterproffing) most of the time both on and off the ship. For viewing scenery early in the am my feet were always warm and cozy. I have worn them on other cooler weather cruises and have found them to be quite versatile and my favorit shoes! Of course they are not meant for major hiking. My only other shoes were an athletic shoe and one pr. Of dress shoes.

Archived