Embarking and Cash on Inspiration out of Long Beach

chadcf

Hoping someone can give me some more recent info! I've been googling and it's hard to figure out what's what with people talking about the cruise over many years of time...

We're cruising on the Inspiration out of Long Beach next month and I'm trying to figure out the best embarkation time. From what I've found, although carnival says embarkation starts at 1:30, this is actually not true and is just to try and keep everyone from rushing to get on early. I've found posts saying you can check in as early as 9am, either on the queen mary or outside the port. None of these posts referenced online checkin however...

So assuming I check in online, what does that do for me? What will I still need to do at the port? And what's the best time to get there to try and avoid long lines and whining kids as we stand outside for hours? If someone has been there and gone through it recently I'd love some up to date info!

Also in terms of cash, what might I need for the cruise? The two things I am thinking of are tipping porters (I believe a few bucks is considered sufficient) and perhaps tipping the kids camp workers as I read they aren't included in your prepaid gratuity, though I have no clue how I would distribute tips to a room full of kids camp workers... Is there anything else I might need cash for? Just trying to make sure I have the appropriate denominations on hand...

Do online check in. It will shorten your check in time at the port. The on-line check-in is where you put all your basic info in, I D info, names, etc. Then print out your boarding pass. If you get to the port before around 10:30/11, you will go to the Queen Mary to show your boarding pass, set up your on board account and get your get your S&S cards. Then you will be given a zone number to board the ship. Walk back to the front of the dome and wait for your zone # to be called.

If you get to the port after they start boarding, you will do the check in at the dome.

If you plan to get off the ship in Ensenada, bring small bills. It is better to haggle the vendors with smaller bills than a $20 bill. I also only use cash for food.

Boarding starts about 11:30. If you don't want to be part of the 1st rush of people, then get to the port about 12:30.

FYI - You will need to show your ID (either passport or driver's license) and either your boarding pass or S&S card (if you have done early check-in) to the security at the entrance to the dome.

I am always at the Long Beach port around 10:30am and have never had to check in at the Queen Mary. Even when I spent the night at the Queen Mary in Feb I had to walk over to the dome to check in that morning. On the ship enjoying lunch before noon! I would say get there when you want, I don't think I would wait for 1:30- I think they just say that to stagger people.

Take as much cash as you think you will need- I dont think there is an adviseable amount since everyones different. There are ATMs onboard if you run out and need more.

Have a great cruise!

If you are platinum/FTTF there is a booth set up across from the parking lot. QM check in as described in earlier post is 9:30-10:30. If you don't have a zone assigned, you have to wait for them to board before you are allowed inside the dome to check in. Boarding usually starts 11-11:30. Platinum boards after bridal parties, then disabled then fTTF then zones. As you leave the dome, your photo is taken for your SS card.

Bring $2 per bag for porters, and any extra assistance (wheelchair etc). For RS $1-2 per order.

Hope thus helps

Early check in starts around 9:30a

Early check in for the Inspiration is at the Queen Mary.

The Splendor used to have early check in at tables in front of the Dome. Haven't heard about the Miracle.

If you are sailing out on a Monday plan on arriving at 11:30, we have walked right on at that time. For Friday departures plan on getting there early as many will try to put in a half day at work before heading down to port.

If you do not get there early enough to do early check-in don't fret too much. The biggest delay is getting into the Dome and then thru security. Once past security there will be about 40 clerks checking passengers in.

Hold onto your hat when going up the gangway to the ship.

ETA--

If you haven't done so already make sure all your travel documents are in order. Passports & Drivers Licenses need to be valid and your Birth Certificates need to be government issued.

Archived