Help need with 1st MSC cruise

billyelliot

As we have not tried MSC before I have found a nice 5 nighter on the preziosa in Sept.. Going from Naples to Marseilles. I would like to add on 2/3 nights in Naples pre cruise and a night in Marseilles at the end. I have found really good flights both ways. Does this sound ok? And if so what recommendations have you got for hotels and transport to and from airport, hotel and port. Thank you

You might want to consider lovely Sorrento or the beautiful Positano for your pre cruise stay rather than Naples itself.

Aix en Provence might be a prettier alternative to Marseille. I've only spent the day in Marseille but enjoyed Le Peteit Train ride up to the Basilica high up above the bay (Notre Dame de la Garde). Lots of great cafes and restaurants along the waterfront of the old town as well.

Five day should be long enough for you to judge whether you like MSC or not, and not too long if you don't.

Hope you have a great time.

Billy there is a bus from Naples airport to Sorrento town square every half hour during the day. Takes about 45 minutes. Easy to find when you leave the airport. Last caught it six years ago so couldn't give you an exact price.

Tell whichever hotel you have booked in Sorrento (I recommend Nastro Azzuro because its lovely all inclusive and is up on the hill with fine views) when you will be arriving and they *should* send a bus to pick you up. Most have free shuttles to the town square and offer this service.

I have been doing a bit of research, and think that as we are only there for 2/3 nights, and want to do a bit of sight seeing..... So plan to stop in Naples so we are near enough to get on the ship, and perhaps have a day in Sorrento and a day on Capri? How does this sound?

Sorrento is a better base for that. You could land in Naples, bus to Sorrento. Next morning up and round Sorrento for the day including lunch at Marina Piccolo (which means small marina but is actually the biggest port of the two where all the ferries go from) where you can pick up a timetable for the ferry and hydrofoils.

Day two to Marina Piccolo - get on the ferry/hydrofoil over to Capri for the day. Back and evening at the hotel.

Following morning transfer/bus to Naples then to the port. Plenty of time to get on the ship.

Otherwise you are just toing and froing from Naples 3/4 times over two days. Which isn't a good start to the vacation....

With all due respect to anyone who is from there but; I am of the opinion that Naples is the dump of Italy and would definitely recommend rather staying in Sorrento or Capri rather.

True. I have no intention of going anywhere near Naples again. It's not a great place.

I would suggest to stay at one of the close islands of Capri or Ischia. From the Naples Airport it is 20 euros to the port. From the port you can take a ferry to either island (Ischia ferries range from 12-16 euros plus 2 for each large bag - approx) Ischia is a beautiful island and the ferry shuttle back to Naples drops you off a short 5 minute walk to the boat.

Ischia is lovely (and a lot cheaper than Capri!) but the OP wants to visit Capri and Sorrento and that would take a serious amount of ferry travel to negotiate.

As I remember there is only one ferry a day to and from Ischia/Sorrento so if it is missed then they're stranded..

Thank you so much for all your advice... I have now booked the cruise and flights but Unfortunatly I have had to cut short my plans due to a long distance family visit...... I am now arriving at Naples airport at 10am on the Sat morning and go on the cruise on Sunday! So don't know what to do now..

I want to go to Capri and also visit Notre-Dame de la Garde. Any suggestions. Sorry for the mess up

Thanks

Just realised that the cathedral is in Marseilles where we get off lol it's Pompeii I want to visit there...

Take the train that circumnavigates the Vesuvius. Visit Pompei in the morning. Take the same train in the early afternoon to Sorrento. It's so beautifull. Later in the afternoon, take the ferry back to Napoli to board your ship... Voilà!

Take the train that circumnavigates the Vesuvius. Visit Pompei in the morning. Take the same train in the early afternoon to Sorrento. It's so beautifull. Later in the afternoon, take the ferry back to Napoli to board your ship... Voilà!

I took the train going to Pompeii - was not a pleasant experience at all; you know it's bad when a South African says they felt unsafe on it.....

I took the train going to Pompeii - was not a pleasant experience at all; you know it's bad when a South African says they felt unsafe on it.....

That was not my experience. You have to be travel savy all the time. Just be wary of your envirronment!

If your ship departs around 4 or 5 pm, doing Pompeii and Sorrento on the departure day would not be viable. I would do that on the other day so you can get back later. Do Capri on your day of departure.

I agree.

Check the ferry times as well. Last time I was in Naples, there were plenty ferries/hydrofoils going out but none coming back that fitted in with the departure time for coming back.

Failing that settle foreither Pompeii or Sorrento on departure day, assuming youve got a hotel near the port and they will store your luggage for you.

Remember to allow at least 90 minutes before the sailing time to be in the cruise terminal for checking in.

Thanks will do... I am now trying to find a hotel near the port.. Any suggestions? We will drop our bags off at about 11am and go straight to Pompeii, then take the train to Sorrento. Can we get the ferry back? Do they run till late?

Then next morning off to Capri and board the ship late afternoon!

Archived