Suggestions Please - Afternoon/Evening in Anchorage

kiwi_girl

We are on a cruisetour arriving in Anchorage at around 3pm, leaving very early the next morning on the train to Denali. Any suggestions for something to do?

I was wondering about the Alaska Zoo as I see they are open until 9pm and have a free shuttle. Is it any good? (web site not that spectacular).

Looking for something not too pricy, just an interesting way of filling in the time. Is the town itself worth just looking around?

We are staying at the Westmark.

Town is neat to walk around. There was free wifi at the visitor center and when we were there they had free entry to the museum which was really neat. Walk or rent a bike part of the tony knowles trail might be a good free/cheap thing to do also. Grab a reindeer sausage at one of the carts near the museum if you get a chance, it was sure good!

it would help if you indicated your interests and physical ability.

Try the town web site for some ideas. www.anchorage.net

There is a free shuttle from the Visitor Center to the Alaska Native Cultural Center... exhibits, demos, etc.

Rent bikes and ride along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail ... there are some great views ( and moose are often sighted so be careful).

Thanks for the suggestions so far. We are both reasonably fit & active, not adverse to walking (tho I can't ride a bike due to balance issues after inner ear infections as a kid). We like wildlife & scenery, hiking, local shopping (no tourist trap jewlery/souvenirs), museums but not really into the cheesy reinactment type shows.

The Westmark is located very near the Anchorage Museum. While I find parts of the museum very dated (apparently nothing has happened since the late 1980s), the exhibit curated by the Smithsonian is excellent, and their current exhibit features bush pilots.

The Alaska Native Cultural Center is excellent. They offer a shuttle which stops at the Anchorage Museum.

I'd recommend the Alaska Public Lands Information Center on 4th and E for their displays and programs followed by a nice leisurely meal in downtown Anchorage. Lots of good places to eat including Glacier Brewhouse, Orsos, and Simon and Seaforts. Downtown Anchorage is easy to walk.

The aurora film at the performing art center is amazing....but I suspect young kids would be bored. It is set to new age/semiclassical music and is a visual treat. It last about 50 minutes. Ot runs on the hour from 9-9PM....$20.00/pp. You can get a shuttle to the zoo. While not huge, it has most of the northern animals and most people enjoy it quite a bit. There are also a few evening shows at the Bear and Raven Theatre with speakers on Alaska subjects...depends on what day you arrive. On Fridays, there is music in the park from 6-8 PM...in the town square in front of the preforming Arts Center. There is also a ghost tour at 7:30 which leaves from the Snow City Cafe....at the end of 4th Ave...I suspect that you will find something to do...and it is not dark at night till after 11 PM...as of now.....:)

I too am a big fan of the Alaska Public Lands, (also excellent in Fairbanks and Ketchikan)

but take a look at the Anchorage visitor guide, plenty to see and do depending on YOUR interests. http://www.anchorage.net

The Alaska Native Heritage Museum is also a highlight, and so is a bike ride on the Coastal trail.

Figure out what you wish to occupy your time with.

As you can see, there is a lot to do. But I am going to recommend the zoo. I think it is a great place to go and walk around through the exhibits. THere is a lot to see there and it is definitely interesting.

It is all the way in South Anchorage, so the shuttle is a must-but you will get to see a whole lot of Anchorage that most tourists never do.

There is a lot more to Anchorage than just downtown.

Archived