What to do in Maui (Lahaina), Hawaii??

We can't recommend Old Lahaina Luau enough if you are overnighting. We booked months in advance and scored front row seats. It was FANTASTIC. We spoke to others who did the ship's luau (at the Hyatt I think) and it just didn't compare for show, the meal, the included drinks, anything.

pete

We can't recommend Old Lahaina Luau enough if you are overnighting. We booked months in advance and scored front row seats. It was FANTASTIC. We spoke to others who did the ship's luau (at the Hyatt I think) and it just didn't compare for show, the meal, the included drinks, anything.

pete

I agree. This Luau is fantastic. Well Worth it even if you leave late in the evening you will still be able to go. Also most Luau's only include about 3 or 4 drinks and with this one it is unlimited!

Also a lot of people hired cars for the day and just did their own thing.

Chez

I have this strange feeling that I will not be here for that cruise. That's why we are cruising so much now.

I won't be around either, I will cruise earth's seas while I can instead. I will the final frontier for my descendents.:D

I agree. This Luau is fantastic. Well Worth it even if you leave late in the evening you will still be able to go. Also most Luau's only include about 3 or 4 drinks and with this one it is unlimited!

Also a lot of people hired cars for the day and just did their own thing.

Chez

pete

I will check it out, it sounds great especially as it has some great endorsements.:D

pete

Very important that you do get front row seats otherwise your view will be blocked out by those in front of you and you will not get any good pics as the show starts after sunset and the lighting levels are quite low.

There are 2 seating options: regular tables & chairs that are set 2 rows back on a raised platform or traditional seating on a cushion on the ground at a low table. All seating is in a semi-circle around the stage.

We were on the first row of regular tables but the people at the end of our table constantly blocked our view to the point that we left early - grossly disappointed in a largely scripted performance that they do every single night of the year. Hence - get front row seats if possible.

I agree that the food and drinks are tops. Quite a bit of (staged) free time before dinner to take in the sunset and purchase souvenirs from strategically placed vendors.

Easy to get to by bus from Lahaina to the Cannery bus stop, then walk through the small shopping mall and the Luau is opposite the rear of the mall. Plenty of taxi's outside to take you back - especially if you leave the show without delay.

Cassamanda, you seem to have a good knowlege of hawaii. we are cruising on solstice October 2104. We plan to leave about a week before the cruise and stay at either Kauai or Maui for a few days, then Waikiki for a few days. If you do not mind me asking. What are your thoughts on Kauai versus Maui and would it be worthwhile for about 4 nights or should we just stay at Waikiki for 7 nights?

I have not stayed on Kauai but know of others who have and say it is quite different to both the other 2 islands. Kauai is renowned for it's outstanding helicopter tours though and Waimea canyon.

We loved Maui - much better than downtown Waikiki - which is similar to Surfers Paradise but on a larger scale. I would not stay 7 days at Waikiki but 2 days would be ok and I would include a circle island trip and an all day visit to Pearl Harbor. I visited Waikiki many times in the 1990s before many of the now high rise hotels were built and it only took 10 minutes to get to the airport - now it takes 30-60 minutes:eek: because of traffic and congested roads around Waikiki. Lots of transport options though and airport shuttles are cheap.

Maui has plenty of shopping at Lahaina or Whalers Village, or even on the other side near the main airport - actually bought DW some Pandora there whilst waiting for the road to re-open. We stayed at the Aston at The Whalers on Ka'anapali Beach in a 1 bed apartment and can highly recommend them. Beautiful clean proper beach and great restaurants right next door. Romantic sunset sails every evening right off the beach - book early with the hotel. Bus costs $2.50 into Lahaina or just a $20 taxi ride. Airport shuttle is $26pp with VIP who we used and can recommend.

In a nutshell - spend 4 nights on Maui. You can usually get stay 3 night and get 4th free deals.

Regards

Hugh

Very important that you do get front row seats otherwise your view will be blocked out by those in front of you and you will not get any good pics as the show starts after sunset and the lighting levels are quite low.

There are 2 seating options: regular tables & chairs that are set 2 rows back on a raised platform or traditional seating on a cushion on the ground at a low table. All seating is in a semi-circle around the stage.

We were on the first row of regular tables but the people at the end of our table constantly blocked our view to the point that we left early - grossly disappointed in a largely scripted performance that they do every single night of the year. Hence - get front row seats if possible.

I agree that the food and drinks are tops. Quite a bit of (staged) free time before dinner to take in the sunset and purchase souvenirs from strategically placed vendors.

Easy to get to by bus from Lahaina to the Cannery bus stop, then walk through the small shopping mall and the Luau is opposite the rear of the mall. Plenty of taxi's outside to take you back - especially if you leave the show without delay.

I have not stayed on Kauai but know of others who have and say it is quite different to both the other 2 islands. Kauai is renowned for it's outstanding helicopter tours though and Waimea canyon.

We loved Maui - much better than downtown Waikiki - which is similar to Surfers Paradise but on a larger scale. I would not stay 7 days at Waikiki but 2 days would be ok and I would include a circle island trip and an all day visit to Pearl Harbor. I visited Waikiki many times in the 1990s before many of the now high rise hotels were built and it only took 10 minutes to get to the airport - now it takes 30-60 minutes:eek: because of traffic and congested roads around Waikiki. Lots of transport options though and airport shuttles are cheap.

Maui has plenty of shopping at Lahaina or Whalers Village, or even on the other side near the main airport - actually bought DW some Pandora there whilst waiting for the road to re-open. We stayed at the Aston at The Whalers on Ka'anapali Beach in a 1 bed apartment and can highly recommend them. Beautiful clean proper beach and great restaurants right next door. Romantic sunset sails every evening right off the beach - book early with the hotel. Bus costs $2.50 into Lahaina or just a $20 taxi ride. Airport shuttle is $26pp with VIP who we used and can recommend.

In a nutshell - spend 4 nights on Maui. You can usually get stay 3 night and get 4th free deals.

Regards

Hugh

Thanks Hugh, Some great advice for us.:D

Thank you Hugh for your helpful advice. I will have a look at Maui then and the Aston you recommend. Will go the 4 day option then 3 days Waikiki just for the shopping and pearl harbour. Many on our cruise are doing 7 nights Waikiki but i wish to see some of the beauty of Hawaii. Are transfers to Maui expensive?

Is there accommodation you can recommend at Waikiki as well by any chance?:confused:

Thank you Hugh for your helpful advice. I will have a look at Maui then and the Aston you recommend. Will go the 4 day option then 3 days Waikiki just for the shopping and pearl harbour. Many on our cruise are doing 7 nights Waikiki but i wish to see some of the beauty of Hawaii. Are transfers to Maui expensive?

Is there accommodation you can recommend at Waikiki as well by any chance?:confused:

Hawaiian Airlines or Alaskan Airlines have flights every 15-30 minutes at about $85-$105 economy no frills internet booking depending on time of day. Make sure you fly into (OGG) Kahului International as there are 3 airports on Maui. Kauai has fewer flights same price.

If you do decide to go to the islands, can I suggest you do it straight off the ship (midday or later flight) and then come back to Waikiki the last 3 days. Check-ins are usually 3pm but we have gotten in earlier if rooms are ready. Also, be cheeky and send them an email saying it's your 1st trip etc and you never know - you might just get an upgrade:)

Hotels on Waikiki are many and will depend on your budget. The Ilikai is at airport end of strip and closest to Ala Moana shopping mall whilst Aston Waikiki Beach Tower is at the other end - both top hotels. Outrigger Waikiki Beach is in the middle right on the beach. If it's in your budget, check out the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort - my favourite and has one of the few affordable coffee shops in Waikiki near the southern entrance ground floor. Check out tripadvisor.

ABC stores sell everything from biscuits to clothing to grog and are on just about every corner. Buy 1 get one free vouchers are avail once you rack up a few $$$.

The main bus route runs along Kuhio Ave but there are also various Trolley buses on 4 different routes that are good to catch.

Regards, Hugh

Wow Hugh, you are such a valuable cc! Thank you so much for your suggestions. I had looked at the outrigger on Waikiki and wondered if it is best to try and get a condo somehow. I have been told it is much cheaper than going for a hotel room through outrigger. Is this so? I will also look at hyatts rates.:D

Wow Hugh, you are such a valuable cc! Thank you so much for your suggestions. I had looked at the outrigger on Waikiki and wondered if it is best to try and get a condo somehow. I have been told it is much cheaper than going for a hotel room through outrigger. Is this so? I will also look at hyatts rates.:D

For the price of a standard room, Condo's generally give you a little more space and amenities such as kitchenette and for 2 a studio is fine. They are a bit further from the beach though. For the hotels you would have to upgrade to a Suite or hotel room with kitchenette at usually higher prices.

Also when you check out tripadvisor, see if there are any aircon issues with your selected hotel. Some of the places in Waikiki have the a/c mounted at floor level :( - the only cool place would be under the bed:eek:

For the price of a standard room, Condo's generally give you a little more space and amenities such as kitchenette and for 2 a studio is fine. They are a bit further from the beach though. For the hotels you would have to upgrade to a Suite or hotel room with kitchenette at usually higher prices.

Also when you check out tripadvisor, see if there are any aircon issues with your selected hotel. Some of the places in Waikiki have the a/c mounted at floor level :( - the only cool place would be under the bed:eek:

If I am staying somewhere for more than 2 nights, I prefer apartments as they have the kitchens (or kitchenette at least) and sometimes a washing machine. They also generally have a lounge separate from the bedroom.:D

What tours does the ship offer?

To go to:

* Haleakala National Park,

* Maui Ocean Center, Road to Hana,

* Iao Valley State Park,

* Whale Watching,

* Molokini Crater, (I hope to do this, but its $99 AU per person :eek:)

* Hawaiian Cultural Experience

and

* Outdoor Adventures

Lahaina has a big fig tree ( like extremely enormous ) so make sure you get a pic of yourself beside it:D

I will keep an eye out for them :D

From what I have heard by the time you are tendered ashore, theres really only enough time for a walk around the town before heading back. Depends on how long you get ashore.

We are there from 7:00am to 6:00pm, so hopefully we will get to do a bit there.

I love Maui. We used to stay there frequently in Kihei. Are you staying overnight? If so you could take an early morning drive up to the dormant volcano, Haleakala to watch the sunrise. It is 3055 metres above sea level so make sure you dress warmly as it is very cold up there before the sun comes up no matter what time of the year.

There is also a small whaling museum in Lahaina which I found interesting. It was free but I'm not sure if it still is.

No, we are not staying overnight, we only got the day here, I wish we where, but not this time, but that is on my bucket lit :)

There is the road to Hana as well which is a very winding road that leads to lovely swimming holes and black sand beaches. Are you going to the big island as well?

Yes, we are.

Are you staying overnight?

No, we are not staying overnight :( we are only in Maui (Lahaina) for the day.

Is Lahaina your first port of call in US?

If so you might just want to walk around the town. I was there earlier this year on Solstice and it was our first port in US and customs and Immigration was terrible. Most did not clear until after 3:00pm. Luckily I did not have anything booked until the early evening as we stayed until midnight. People were complaining and had to cancel tours and hired cars.

Just something to be aware of.

Chez

No, Lahaina is not our first port of call in US, Honolulu is (and I am expecting to spend some time with Immigration :()

Thanks for the info ckl001.

If I am staying somewhere for more than 2 nights, I prefer apartments as they have the kitchens (or kitchenette at least) and sometimes a washing machine. They also generally have a lounge separate from the bedroom.:D

Yes I would prefer an apartment to get washing done before embarking the cruise as there is no laundry on solstice unfortunately

Yes I would prefer an apartment to get washing done before embarking the cruise as there is no laundry on solstice unfortunately

No self service laundry, but they do have a laundry service that is reasonable and comparable to hotels.:D

I forgot to mention that in the link in my signature there's a link to travelpod where I wrote a travel blog on our first cruise - Fire and Ice - by coincidence on Celebrity as well. Lots of photos and details of what we did in Hawaii (and Alaska).

It was a fantastic cruise - Hawaii and the Hawaiians were gorgeous. You can't have anything other than a great time.

Pete

I forgot to mention that in the link in my signature there's a link to travelpod where I wrote a travel blog on our first cruise - Fire and Ice - by coincidence on Celebrity as well. Lots of photos and details of what we did in Hawaii (and Alaska).

It was a fantastic cruise - Hawaii and the Hawaiians were gorgeous. You can't have anything other than a great time.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Archived