Looking for hotel in Brisbane

I am looking for a good recommendation for a hotel in Brisbane. We will be there for three nights pre cruise and have been reading all the info on tripadvisor but thought someone on CC might be able to help.

Thanks,

Gypsy Lady

The Stamford Hotel or the Marriott are both pretty good.

If you want something on the value side the Grand Chancellor offers good deals on a well known site but is a little bit out of the CBD.

I see this subject is on two separate boards so I re-post here:

When I visit Brisbane on business I usually stay at the Royal on the Park Hotel in Alice St. It is at the 'bottom' of the CBD, directly opposite the Botanical Gardens.

It is just a nice walk up Albert St or Edward St a few blocks to Queen St Mall (shopping, restaurants, hub for public transport), Eagle St precinct is nearby, just along the river, where there are lots of restaurants, and it is a short walk to North Quay ferry terminal.

Nice quiet hotel at reasonable price.

Have a look at Oaks Apartments, there are quite a few apartment buildings throughout the city and they have 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments. There is also a novotel near the brisbane airport which isn't far from the cruise ship terminal at hamilton.

Agree with other post, the Marriott and Sofitel are also great hotels as is the Stamford Plaza. All three are not in the heart of the city but are a short walk. If you want to stay right on the mall, the Hilton is the located above the Wintergarden mall. It has been renovated in the past 2 years.

For a nice apartment hotel close to downtown, you could consider the Sebel Suites, a tall tower located two blocks "downhill" from Queen St. -- between there and the Botanic Gardens. We were there for 4 nights in Feb. 2012. The only negatives were that there was no safe in the apartment, and there was a charge for internet access in the apartment (but free WiFi the lobby).

John

There was a safe at the front desk of the Sebel Suites, but like you I much prefer having our own safe in the room. When we booked, the apartments were advertised to have room safes. When we got there, we were told that there was no longer a room safe because of the (then-)recent severe flooding in Brisbane. That seemed a bit odd, given that we were on the the 29th floor! Otherwise a nice place...

John

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend staying somewhere like The Collingwood. It always seems to get great reviews on tripadvisor. No affiliation but I notice it as I live nearby.

Assuming you don't know Brisbane I feel it would give a far more Brisbane experience than staying in a city centre hotel while still giving you great access to the city and cultural district on the Maroon City Glider.

Paddington is full of Queenslander character homes cascading down the steep hill sides and is has a nice selection of quirky shops, antiques, cafes etc in a pleasant and safe environment.

271503_201034090026496_654786001_o.jpg

paddington-qld-38682.jpg

661391-cm-life-food-hidden-cafes-hamptons-650.jpg

5259829414_594667ee20_z.jpg

Just my taste though...depends what you like. Note also that you don't have to tackle the steep hills as the road through the area runs along the top of a terrace gently down into the city. The hills cascade off the side of this road but you have no need to go down them so it is still accessible for the mobility challenged.

To get to the cruise (assuming portside wharf - though large ships can't use it) you could take the Maroon Glider to Southbank (cultural centre or southbank stop) and then catch a lovely citycat (public transit) down river to near the cruise ship (Bretts Wharf stop). Walk to portside a few hundred metres.

city-cat.jpg

main.jpg

If using the citycats or any public transport in Brisbane it is a lot cheaper and easier to get a GoCard. Some services like the Maroon Glider will only let people with GoCards on.

http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/go-card/visitor-information

Archived