Iceland - questions answered

Originally Posted by abridalmaven. Ok now we are thinking it may be easier to rent a car. Any advice on that?

Sorry abridalmaven, but not sure how to add quote:confused:

We are renting from Thrifty in Reykjavik (we believe they have a shuttle from the pier to their location). We plan to pick the car up shortly after our 2:00pm arrival, drive the Golden Circle, park the car overnight, do the Blue Lagoon the next morning and return the car for 2:00 pm (58 euros for the 24 hour period). I have posted here for info on overnight parking, but there's been no response so far.

We are planning to do the very same. If you hear about where to park overnight, make sure you post on the boards!! thanks

We will be on the Ruby Princess in September Akureri on the 13th. Ísafjördur on the 14th, and Reykjavik on the 15. We will be in Akureri for 8 hours and the other ports for 10 hors. We would like to hear of recommended tours and tour companies in each port. We would also like to know what kind of weather we should be preferred for. And finally, how visible should the northern lights be at that time?Thanks in advance

Edited by eddieg07410

You do realize that when you first walk onto the plane - and they have a pile of water bottles - they are free and you're supposed to grab one for yourself, right? :rolleyes:

I am always amazed at people that think because something happened for them that it must happen for everybody else.

I can state for a fact that there was not a pile of water to grab from.

I also literally got a "talk to the hand" gesture from a flight attendant who was collecting trash from the economy comfort passengers when I tried to give her mine (being one row behind EC).

This was also a flight date that was originally supposed to be flight attendant strike day but that was settled earlier. I wonder if my cabin crew had made plans for that day and were pissed that they had to work.

The mechanics decided to strike on my flight from KEF to Amsterdam.

It was bad enough that the strike cost me a day in Amsterdam but the bastards couldn't come to work on time a day later and clear the plane to takeoff. They delayed our flight another 1.5 hours.

The only bright spot for Icelandair was the team in customer service at the KEF airport that rebooked us because of the strike and got us a room at their hotel for the additional night we were forced to be there. I feel really sorry for these guys as they have to deal with passengers as the other unions screw with their customers.

NEVER AGAIN.

I hired a taxi when I was in Reykjavik two days ago - which costs 7,000ISK per hour. We did a three hour tour of the city and surroundings. The driver was charming, spoke fluent English and dropped us right by the door of each place we wished to visit. For two it was only slightly more expensive than taking the ship's tour, but much more convenient. Plus he also took us to places we otherwise wouldn't have seen. I can highly recommend Gummi - his email address is gobjarnason@gmail.com.

The one person we met in Iceland who did not speak English was our first cab driver who took us from the airport to Reykjavik 2 years ago. Was the first person we met and still the only one who did not speak great English

abridalmaven and itsanita:

I put the car rental parking question on the Europe forum, under the Northern Europe and Baltics thread and finally have an answer.

You'll need to go to that thread as Simon gives an address which does not copy well. Hope this helps.

For those that took land vacations did you stay in one place and do day tours?

We would not be renting a car and I am looking at staying in Reykjavik.

Reykjavik is a cool city, but it's a city not that much different from many other cities. You can do day trips on a bus from there to the Golden Circle, and a very long southern route to the waterfalls and the floating icebergs, and an excursion to the Blue Lagoon, but you're going to miss out on most of this amazing country if you limit yourself to those options.

How long will you be there? If you are staying more than 4 days, you really should reconsider the car and perhaps staying one or two nights out of the city.

How long will you be there? If you are staying more than 4 days, you really should reconsider the car and perhaps staying one or two nights out of the city.

Right now looking at 4-5 nights but didn't want the extra expense of renting a car.

Might do a tour that takes us to South shore & waterfalls and the South East- Skaftafell Nat Park plus Westman Islands but still exploring ways to save since I have points for hotel nights in Reykjavik.

Edited by ISLABONITA

Right now looking at 4-5 nights but didn't want the extra expense of renting a car.

Might do a tour that takes us to South shore & waterfalls and the South East- Skaftafell Nat Park plus Westman Islands but still exploring ways to save since I have points for hotel nights in Reykjavik.

A car is expensive to rent in Iceland, but the tours are even way more costly. You will save money by car rental and enjoy yourself better, by stopping when and where you want

This may be a silly question, but can one see the Northern Lights in Reykjavik or is the light pollution a problem? Thinking about visiting in mid-September.

Thanks!

it's unlikely you'd see them that time of year anywhere in Iceland, but city lights do make it even more unlikely.

Even in winter it's well under 50% chance of getting them on a specific night

For those that took land vacations did you stay in one place and do day tours?

We would not be renting a car and I am looking at staying in Reykjavik.

We took a 10 day driving tour of Iceland in June and loved it. Reykjavik is just another city. I would look into one of the self drive-fly tours on-line as there are several to pick from with different areas. They will give you specific areas that you could see in 5 days and it is worth the drive around the ring road as there is much to see outside of Reykjavik. They will rent you the car, arrange for the hotel and give you a map from day to day and suggest places for you to see. It is awesome.

We took a 10 day driving tour of Iceland in June and loved it. Reykjavik is just another city. I would look into one of the self drive-fly tours on-line as there are several to pick from with different areas. They will give you specific areas that you could see in 5 days and it is worth the drive around the ring road as there is much to see outside of Reykjavik. They will rent you the car, arrange for the hotel and give you a map from day to day and suggest places for you to see. It is awesome.

sorry not interested in this option. thanks anyways.

it's unlikely you'd see them that time of year anywhere in Iceland, but city lights do make it even more unlikely.

Even in winter it's well under 50% chance of getting them on a specific night

Ok, thanks - disappointed, but good to know so that I don't schedule a tour.

What's your (and others) opinion on whether this could work for 3 nights at the beginning of May? Who did you book with?

What's your (and others) opinion on whether this could work for 3 nights at the beginning of May? Who did you book with?

Three nites is pretty short but I am sure they could do some kind of tour for you. I can't name it on here but go on-line and put in Fly-drive tours of Iceland and a number will come up. If you want to email me I can send it to you. Nancy3740@aol.com.

I will be flying from Paris to NYC and can take a flight into Keflavik with a layover from 9:20am to 5pm on a Saturday. Realizing that doesn't give me a whole day to explore, is there something worthwhile that I can fit into that time period?

Another option would be for me to fly into Keflavik with arrival at 11:50 Friday night then depart at 5pm on Saturday. Just not sure if a hotel would be worth the visit.

Being in Iceland, I would like to be able to see at least a bit of it. :p

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Really tight time frame, but maybe someone local has an idea? The Blue Lagoon might work? Maybe half an hour from airport?? Reykjavik is about an hours drive.

From my research, anything touristy on the Golden Tour road might be too far to get there and back (with enjoyment time) in time for next flight…. but an overnighter would be great i.e. get up early:eek: and a good head start.

you mean Reykjavik check this site

https://www.re.is

Reykjavik Excursions

and this one

http://www.icelandhorizon.is/

Really tight time frame, but maybe someone local has an idea? The Blue Lagoon might work? Maybe half an hour from airport?? Reykjavik is about an hours drive.

From my research, anything touristy on the Golden Tour road might be too far to get there and back (with enjoyment time) in time for next flight…. but an overnighter would be great i.e. get up early:eek: and a good head start.

Thank you, both! Yes, maybe a local can be more specific ;)

My mother would like to take a cruise that has at least 3 stops in Iceland. She is primarily interested in seeing glaciers and volcanoes. She might be open to flying to Iceland for a guided bus tour. She will turn 90 years young this December and will need non-strenuous access to the sights. Travel dates will probably need to avoid July and August.(I travel with her and need to be able to celebrate our August 1st 45th wedding anniversary with my husband.) I'd appreciate any input and recommendations.

I will be flying from Paris to NYC and can take a flight into Keflavik with a layover from 9:20am to 5pm on a Saturday. Realizing that doesn't give me a whole day to explore, is there something worthwhile that I can fit into that time period?

Another option would be for me to fly into Keflavik with arrival at 11:50 Friday night then depart at 5pm on Saturday. Just not sure if a hotel would be worth the visit.

Being in Iceland, I would like to be able to see at least a bit of it. :p

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Blue Lagoon definitely will work in that time span. There are hourly (or nearly so) buses from the airport to the BL and back again. You could also explore Reykjavik (maybe take a whale or puffin cruise) during that time.

If you do the overnight option there are relatively cheap hotels in the towns near the airport, and you'd have plenty of time to do a Golden Circle tour on Saturday, if you start early.