Ocean Star-2015

gopack04

I talked with a rep from Viking today and got some new information. She told me that on Jan 15th, they are revamping the Viking Oceans website, and all the information about port times, excursions, costs, etc will be posted. Also on the 15th, the Suite passengers who have 90 days to sign up, can sign up (that gives them about an 85 day advantage). But all of us will be able to see what’s available and the costs on the 15th. We will get an e-mail on how to sign-up a few days before our respective sign-up windows.

On “The Restaurant” reservations, signing up for a specific time is optional. If you do make a reservation (and show up at that time of course), you will not have to wait in line – they will have your table spots waiting. If you do not make a reservation, you will have to wait in line, if there is one. The main dining room seats 468 people at one time, so that’s about half of us, and of course, some of us will be in the Specialty Restaurants and some will be eating off the buffet or eating in port, so the dining room should be adequate. The “al fresco” dining on the Aquavit Terrace is separate and is a buffet and is first come, first served.

For those of us signed up for the whole 50 day cruise (that’s us crazies), or multiple segments, we will not be able to sign up all at once, we will have to do it when the respective window becomes available for the various segments based on the class of cabin.

Spa appointments have to be made once on board and cannot be done ahead of time. Neither will a list of services be available beforehand (but she said to call about a month ahead of launch and they MIGHT have some info on this). There will be one hairdresser on board. This is critical for those of us crazies taking the 50-day cruise.

If you’ve been on-line in the last several days, the links to the excursions are not working very well – that’s because their techies are working on the website to get it ready for the Jan 15 launch. Let’s hope this launch goes better than the roll-out of Obamacare!

And finally, you can use regular magnetic stripe credit cards to settle your onboard account. It does not have to be a Chip & PIN credit card. And Amex is fine.

That’s all I learned, but I felt pretty good that at least we might get SOME information before we embark.

Excellent to hear! Thanks for the information. I'm putting a note on my calendar for the 15th, which will be here before we know it! I know you're sailing way before me, but did you get the impression (or assume as I'm doing) that when they say the information will be on the web site, they mean for all 2015 cruises, not just the first ones going off?

Thanks for posting this new information! Hopefully Viking Oceans will send out an email to us all to tell us of the up coming changes to the website! That is one thing I really like about Azamara is they have an official blogger on CC something Viking really needs in my opinion.

Kathy

Can't remember: Will the Star have room service? We seldom use it on ocean cruises, but it IS nice to have, and it DOES take a few folks away from the other dining venues! (Not that I'm too worried about waiting at The Restaurant. I've done open seating on both Oceania and Celebrity and it worked out OK (very little waiting to be seated or served on Oceania, and not too much of a wait with Celebrity).

Kathy9, have you been on Azamara since they started their one free AzaMazing (or whatever) excursion for everyone? I was just curious how it works out - do they just plan one special event like a concert and take everyone there, provide one tour with staggered times, or what? I'm a little curious as to how Viking will do their free excursions if lots of people sign up - and I assume we WILL have to sign up.

I did get the impression that it was for all the 2015 cruises with the same (or reverse) itinerary. I think the 2015 itineraries are basically the same, but there might be some towards the end of the year that are different. I know 2016 has different itineraries, but I thought 2015 were all the same, so I think the answer is yes.

The azamazing evenings are one per cruise ( not TA's)

They bus every one or if it is a tender port they do that. They do it by deck. We have been to few.... Not the most amazing evenings I have ever spent! They get very mixed reviews on the AZ CC boards. The AZ excursion staff does a great job getting every one who wants to go to the AZ evenings!

We have been to two Azamazing Evenings. I thought they were well done and enjoyable, but it is a new concept. Departure is assigned before departure, as I recall by a note in your cabin the previous evening. There are about 20 buses lined up to accommodate everyone. Suite passengers get on the first buses. I was impressed at the effort Azamara put into this, especially the crew. I came away with the impression that a ship the size of the Viking ships can indeed pull off an excursion for the entire load of passengers. Since I have been to most of the ports on our cruise, I have not worried about what to do other than the included excursion. It will be interesting to see if Viking can deliver.

I also spoke with my Viking Rep yesterday. She confirmed there are a total of 1100 seats for resturants and eating venues, along with 24 hour room service. Soooo..... we won't go hungry. She also confirmed that Viking will be send info for the excursions and pricing Jan 15.

D & J

To jdps:

We're counting on you to let us know how it goes!

O.K. I'll post my impressions when I finish booking for the first segment. Even though I was whining about wanting to be set and done, I think it might work out easier for me to book excursions per segment. A little time to reevaluate the schedule and budget in between each for the segment coming up will be good.

To jdps - exactly what I was thinking! When I started doing some research on just Istanbul, it took me a whole day! I'm now looking at Ephesus and trying to decide. It will be a miracle if I have it figured out for just the first segment by the time my window opens on Jan 21. Picking stuff for 39 ports suddenly seems a bit overwhelming!

O.K. I'll post my impressions when I finish booking for the first segment. Even though I was whining about wanting to be set and done, I think it might work out easier for me to book excursions per segment. A little time to reevaluate the schedule and budget in between each for the segment coming up will be good.

I'll be visiting only 7 ports. I can't imagine researching 39 ports before getting on a ship! I wouldn't leave the house. I have a little over 8 months to research my 7 and I've already gotten a little obsessive about it! Oh well, half the fun for me is the planning.

Did you guys see the other post about the new Viking cruise director (Paul Reynolds, I believe)? If you're on Facebook you can at least find his picture; perhaps Twitter too but I never go on there. Apparently he comes from Regent and has a good reputation among Regent cruisers.

Thanks, Azamara travelers, for the information on Azamazing (or not quite Azamazing) evenings!

Edited by roothy123