Embarkation time in San Juan

WendyG

Hi all,

Jet Blue has officially opened their schedule thru Apr 30, 2014 as of noon today so I am ready to book my one way airfare to San Juan. :D

Now deciding about flying in the day before and spending the night in Old San Juan, or just flying in the day of (from Ft. Lauderdale so direct flight!)

My question is:

The Spirit departs at 6 pm. Does anyone know what time they start embarkation? Also, do they allow you to drop your luggage off early, even if they aren't letting people on yet?

Thanks for any insight you may offer.....

I think boarding for most cruises usually starts around 1pm. Your travel agent can check with Silversea for your particular voyage (or you can call them directly). They'll also tell you if you can leave your luggage, earlier.

San Juan is one port where, on the morning before you board, all of the departing passengers will have to go through an official immigration check of their passports (onboard or in the terminal). If the official in charge is very strict, he won't allow anyone to leave the ship or terminal until everyone has been cleared (and it can easily take 2 hours). Less strict officials allow people to leave after perhaps half of the passengers have been cleared. Although this process won't affect you, it might affect how early you can board. So, for this port, I'd check with Silversea about boarding time.

Regardless of the port, it's always wise to arrive for a cruise the day before. You never know, there can be flight delays, weather issues, other problems - it happens, and in my opinion, it's just not a good idea to take that chance. If you do miss the ship, you have to make your own arrangements to catch up in the next port. But if you arrive a day early, you'll have time to relax, explore Old San Juan, and spend your day stress-free, without any worry of missing the ship. A much better way to start a luxury cruise!

Arrive the night before, have dinner at one of the great san juan restaurants, explore the old town the next morning.

Or be stressed because your flight is delayed and you may miss the ship.

Hum, which to choose!?

Thanks everyone!

I guess I just needed a little encouragement to warrant taking an extra day off of work to start my vacation early! :D

Just booked my flights for the day before and my hotel on price line! :)

Archived