RCCL to Jamaica-Grand Cayman...yes or no?

C1ndyluhu

Will a gay couple have problems in Jamaica?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Will a gay couple have problems in Jamaica?

• Yes, don't go there
    • Maybe yes, maybe no
    • Not as long as they are on excursions/with groups
    • It shouldn't be a problem

My str8 BIL has gone to Jamaica several times on a land trip and stayed at a resort there. He tried to convince me that it was safe there. Then he started talking about the fence around the compound with barb wire on top and the 24 hour patrol carrying shotguns. Yep, he convinced me alright how safe it was NOT!!

From a practical standpoint, can you be safe in places that are potentially dangerous for gay folk? Of course. Gay men are beat up and killed in NYC, that doesn't mean I won't go there.

That's entirely different than saying that I won't go to places where LGBTQ folk are persecuted. That's a matter of conscience. I've been to both Jamaica and the Caymans multiple times on cruises. Never felt unsafe. To be honest, I went with my kids, not a partner who I might be holding hands with, hugging, or having a kiss in public, and since I don't exactly wear rainbow flags on my t-shirts, I doubt I was too obviously gay.

If I cruise with a partner, I'm not sure that I'd go on that itinerary. Probably not.

We've been to both places over the years, a few times. Unless you have a sign around your neck saying "I AM GAY" and you're not showing any public signs of affection, two guys or two girls together are not really going to attract any more attention then any other two people. However, because of their attitude towards gay people, we don't get off the ship in those ports and obviously therefore, don't support their economy. Besides, a day on the ship whilst everyone else is off on the island is a real treat for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived