Shellac manicure?

jjtimes2

Celticgirl - can you please explain the correct 'removal' method? I know I soak my nails in something - I assume it is acetone - then the nails are buffed/oiled - would like to know the correct way to remove shellac! Thanks...

And thanks for the info on the recertification - I just checked the site for salons in my area that do shellac - and there are now ONLY TWO!!! - both far away ha ha ha....hope everyone else around here is getting recertified! :)

The correct removal process for Shellac is simple and does include acetone or CND have their own nourishing Shellac remover which is kinder on the nail. Either products is placed on wraps (cheaper places will use cotton and tinfoil). The pad part of the wrap is soaked in acetone and placed on the nail bed, so only the part that has polish on is touching the acetone. (Soaking off in bowls off acetone is a no no and is harmful as the acetone is soaking way into your skin unnecessarily).

Then after approx 6 minutes the wraps are taken off and an orange wood stick (not a metal implement) is used to gently take off any remaining remnants of the Shellac but 8/10 it all just crumbles off. It should never be buffed off either at the start of the removal process or end.

Then a manicure can be given. or a fresh Shellac application or just finish the removal with a wee bit of Solar Oil over the nails (CND cuticle oil).

Another important thing whilst wearing Shellac is to use the solar oil every day as it helps keep the nails in tip top condition. (I sometimes forget but mine as still in decent shape) I had to take my latest Shellac off for surgery this week but my shorter nails have grown and are strong even though I have not had a chance to put in back on yet.

The correct removal process for Shellac is simple and does include acetone or CND have their own nourishing Shellac remover which is kinder on the nail. Either products is placed on wraps (cheaper places will use cotton and tinfoil). The pad part of the wrap is soaked in acetone and placed on the nail bed, so only the part that has polish on is touching the acetone. (Soaking off in bowls off acetone is a no no and is harmful as the acetone is soaking way into your skin unnecessarily).

Then after approx 6 minutes the wraps are taken off and an orange wood stick (not a metal implement) is used to gently take off any remaining remnants of the Shellac but 8/10 it all just crumbles off. It should never be buffed off either at the start of the removal process or end.

Then a manicure can be given. or a fresh Shellac application or just finish the removal with a wee bit of Solar Oil over the nails (CND cuticle oil).

Another important thing whilst wearing Shellac is to use the solar oil every day as it helps keep the nails in tip top condition. (I sometimes forget but mine as still in decent shape) I had to take my latest Shellac off for surgery this week but my shorter nails have grown and are strong even though I have not had a chance to put in back on yet.

Thanks for the excellent info - and I need to pull out my bottle of solar oil as I didn't realize I should be using it with the shellac.

Is there a safe and easy way to do the removal at home instead of at a salon??

Thanks for the excellent info - and I need to pull out my bottle of solar oil as I didn't realize I should be using it with the shellac.

Is there a safe and easy way to do the removal at home instead of at a salon??

I do it the same way the salon does it: acetone on half a cotton ball on the nail and wrapped in a square of foil for 5-10 minutes. Then I use the orange wood stick. Never had any problem, it always flakes right off!

I do it the same way the salon does it: acetone on half a cotton ball on the nail and wrapped in a square of foil for 5-10 minutes. Then I use the orange wood stick. Never had any problem, it always flakes right off!

Forgive my ignorance but is acetone the same as nail polish remover? (which I have here at home...) - or do I have to get a 'special' bottle somewhere?

Forgive my ignorance but is acetone the same as nail polish remover? (which I have here at home...) - or do I have to get a 'special' bottle somewhere?

Not always...acetone is always nail polish remover, but not all nail polish removers are acetone. You have to read the bottle. This is what I use: (I got it at Wal-Mart I think...)ImageUploadedByForums1374724667.854207.jpg.3f7f8c5e7e610fb20437e7d90c440e02.jpg

CelticGirl - thanks so much for sharing your expertise. I think I'll just leave my nails alone, no manicures, because both places I went to did so many things wrong. It's back to OPI Nail Envy for me!

Wish I still lived in Central Florida so I could visit your salon :)

Not always...acetone is always nail polish remover, but not all nail polish removers are acetone. You have to read the bottle. This is what I use: (I got it at Wal-Mart I think...)[ATTACH]280170[/ATTACH]

Thanks a bunch - will go have a look and try to find some ! :)

I've had both a Shellac and Gel manicure and wasn't impressed with either. I believe the difference is the brand, but they essentially do the same thing. The Shellac stayed on for five days before it peeled off but the manicurist did a crappy job applying the polish and it didn't cover my full nail in some places (guess it's hard to see in the fancy salon with dim mood lighting I went to -- but hey, it was a gift card so no loss!). My Gel experience was much better (also a gift) but it peeled off the next day! As in, I could pick at the side and the entire gel polish would peel off in one piece without any effort. My nails were fine luckily but after that, I've given up.

I've had both a Shellac and Gel manicure and wasn't impressed with either. I believe the difference is the brand, but they essentially do the same thing. The Shellac stayed on for five days before it peeled off but the manicurist did a crappy job applying the polish and it didn't cover my full nail in some places (guess it's hard to see in the fancy salon with dim mood lighting I went to -- but hey, it was a gift card so no loss!). My Gel experience was much better (also a gift) but it peeled off the next day! As in, I could pick at the side and the entire gel polish would peel off in one piece without any effort. My nails were fine luckily but after that, I've given up.

That really shouldn't happen and I suspect they are not doing it right or using the right products/lights.

When I had my first shellac done I went to a local shop - very reasonably priced - all 'seemed' okay - but about 4-5 days later as you mentioned the 'whole' nail polish would peel off in one piece! I was so upset.....after a week they were all 'gone' - I had 'kept them and went back to show them what had happened.

Their response - you have bad/dry nails - sorry but I guess Shellac is not for you!!! I was so disappointed as I was going on a cruise in a couple of months and had heard such good things about it - and here I was told I was part of the 2% of people that couldn't have it done successfully.

So I came here to 'cry' and ask some questions - which is when I found it that the light and technique and 'drying' time were very very important. Off I went to find a better salon - where I questioned them thoroughly about their products/lights/experience etc... I told them my past experience.

And lo and behold IT WORKED - it was not the fault of my nails or anything like that - just inexperience and bad products....

If I were you I would try again and ask some questions beforehand.... I love having the shellac done now before a trip and would never do otherwise :)

That really shouldn't happen and I suspect they are not doing it right or using the right products/lights.

When I had my first shellac done I went to a local shop - very reasonably priced - all 'seemed' okay - but about 4-5 days later as you mentioned the 'whole' nail polish would peel off in one piece! I was so upset.....after a week they were all 'gone' - I had 'kept them and went back to show them what had happened.

Their response - you have bad/dry nails - sorry but I guess Shellac is not for you!!! I was so disappointed as I was going on a cruise in a couple of months and had heard such good things about it - and here I was told I was part of the 2% of people that couldn't have it done successfully.

So I came here to 'cry' and ask some questions - which is when I found it that the light and technique and 'drying' time were very very important. Off I went to find a better salon - where I questioned them thoroughly about their products/lights/experience etc... I told them my past experience.

And lo and behold IT WORKED - it was not the fault of my nails or anything like that - just inexperience and bad products....

If I were you I would try again and ask some questions beforehand.... I love having the shellac done now before a trip and would never do otherwise :)

Thank you so much! I usually have a hard time with regular polish staying on my nails for more than 3 days, as it peels too, so I rarely wear it. I figured Shellac and Gel manicures would work better but I was so disappointed. I may try one last time and ask questions like you suggested. :)

Good luck - maybe check the cnd website for 'certified' salons in your area -might be a good place to start - hope it works for you (I am so glad I didn't 'believe' what I was told and persevered!). :)

No the difference is not the brand they are two different products/systems all together as I have explained in many threads on here so I won't go through it all again but the key is using a tech who knows what they are doing and is using the correct products, CND light and application.

CelticGirl - thanks so much for sharing your expertise. I think I'll just leave my nails alone, no manicures, because both places I went to did so many things wrong. It's back to OPI Nail Envy for me!

Wish I still lived in Central Florida so I could visit your salon :)

Aw thanks Janine:D

I wish I could have you all over just to demonstrate how it is applied and removed and what should be used.

The brand of acetone in the picture is not the greatest but OK for home use. You can probably pick up decent acetone in the likes of Sally. I don't shop there so can't say for sure.

You can remove it at home as suggested, the cheap way the salons do it with cotton, tinfoil and acetone. You can also buy removal wraps fro Shellac and gel polish manicures.

I actually sell a removal set at the spa mainly to tourist who are going home and unable to come back to us to have it removed. I don't charge for removal at our place if another service is booked.

I can sit her confidently and say that 99% off the people that have tried it and it has gone wrong, it is all down to the tech/salon where it was carried out incorrectly or with the wrong products, mixing of systems, buffing the nails, wrong lamp yadda yadda yadda.

Archived