Flight ??s: USA to Frankfurt to Budapest

janmcn

Great idea....I have a luggage scale but I never thought to bring it with me, because it weighs about 2 pounds. What happens when you go through the scanner with all your electronics and stuff in the pockets?

You don't. You take off the vest and put it through in a bin.

Great idea....I have a luggage scale but I never thought to bring it with me, because it weighs about 2 pounds. What happens when you go through the scanner with all your electronics and stuff in the pockets?

We paid $25 for a very lightweight digital scale, but you can find them cheaper on-line these days.

cb

When we did a VIking cruise, we flew JKF/Frankfurt/Bucharest and had little more than an hr layover.....no problem. Assuming of course that you arrive Frankfurt ON TIME, ou should be OK, and as you said, if not, they'll put you on another flight within a couple of hours.

One thing that they do in Frankfurt that does help is that they "fast track" short connections through the security check.

As you head into the security area, there is a sign indicating which flights are to go through the "fast track" lines. So - you do need to know your flight number.

Of course, this is AFTER you make the long hike from the gate to the central area of the terminal.... only to go BACK the same way (usually) to get on your next flight.

We have made it in 90 minutes, but have had some tense moments when our flight was late leaving Toronto.

Fran

AND lastly, Lufthansa is the only airline we have flown that only allows 8.0 kg for your carry on luggage...most other airlines allow 10.0 kg....and they weigh each and every one so dont try to fudge. Too heavy or too much, and it has to be checked...more time.

This is true, but I think OP is flying business class, in which case he can check two bags each weighing 50 pounds on LH and I've had them smile and tell me my bag is right on the money when the scale is reading 52 pounds! They tend to be a lot stricter in coach than in business class. I'd be afraid to ask what they do with first class.....bags probably have no weight limit!:)

Please note i refered to CARRYON restreictions at 8.0 kg...so IF you had your limit for,checked baggage and your carryon was over 8.0 kg. it would have to,be checked.

OR as in our case, we only had carryon so wanted to stick to carryon limits.

One thing that they do in Frankfurt that does help is that they "fast track" short connections through the security check.

As you head into the security area, there is a sign indicating which flights are to go through the "fast track" lines. So - you do need to know your flight number.

Of course, this is AFTER you make the long hike from the gate to the central area of the terminal.... only to go BACK the same way (usually) to get on your next flight.

We have made it in 90 minutes, but have had some tense moments when our flight was late leaving Toronto.

Fran

Fast track schmast track...viking booked our friends with viking air arrangements with a 45 min transfer time in Frankfurt which is insane..as i said they waved bye bye to,their plane as it left without them.

Fast track schmast track...viking booked our friends with viking air arrangements with a 45 min transfer time in Frankfurt which is insane..as i said they waved bye bye to,their plane as it left without them.

I would never accept a 45 minute transfer. The shortest one I have had in recent years was in Munich (1 hour) and I must admit I was a little panicked about the short time between flights. But, we made it with time to spare.

The fast track is a nice feature... I don't know of any other airport that does this. Instead of having to wait with everyone as you go through security, those with tight connections can make it through quicker. Obviously not quick enough to make a 45 minutes connection window... :eek:.... but quicker all the same.

Fran

We had a 90 minute connection last year in FRA and barely made it - and we raced through the airport. First we sat on the tarmac as they rolled up the outdoor steps. Then we waited for the multiple buses it took to get all the passengers for the 15 minute ride to the next terminal. Next a long walk and passport control then the long hike to the gate.

Personally I would not accept a 70 minute connection at FRA, legal or not.

We had a 90 minute connection last year in FRA and barely made it - and we raced through the airport. First we sat on the tarmac as they rolled up the outdoor steps. Then we waited for the multiple buses it took to get all the passengers for the 15 minute ride to the next terminal. Next a long walk and passport control then the long hike to the gate.

Personally I would not accept a 70 minute connection at FRA, legal or not.

I think that's why all of us who fly frequently into FRA are concerned about OP making his connection. I must confess I have never seen (or noticed) the fast track line, although I'm usually in a wheelchair so it doesn't really matter and I almost always take the same flight from JFK which arrives at 5:30 a.m. so i'm pretty low functioning anyway.:)

Archived