Maho beach

duesouth

You really don't need a tour to visit Maho Beach, as you can very easily just grab a taxi from the Cruise Facility or downtown Philipsburg to Maho and return.

Taxi fare should range between $20 for two (each way) down to $8 per person for a group.

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

(click)

There are two restaurant/bar operations at Maho, one on each side of the runway. We enjoy the cheaper drinks at Guy's, but the Sunset Bar and Grill is a popular option.

gary

You really don't need a tour to visit Maho Beach, as you can very easily just grab a taxi from the Cruise Facility or downtown Philipsburg to Maho and return.

Taxi fare should range between $20 for two (each way) down to $8 per person for a group.

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

(click)

There are two restaurant/bar operations at Maho, one on each side of the runway. We enjoy the cheaper drinks at Guy's, but the Sunset Bar and Grill is a popular option.

gary

Thanks for all the info!! I will definately be taking the taxi!

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

(click)

gary

You may also want to try Bernard's. They are mentioned on several threads and offer a wonderful tour which includes Maho at a very reasonable price.

You may also want to try Bernard's. They are mentioned on several threads and offer a wonderful tour which includes Maho at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Consider a rental car, the rates are good, the island is small and the roads easy to navigate.

It would allow you to go to the beach, Marigot and also Maho for the planes, with time in the late afternoon to shop.

• 1 month later...

I would personally take the "bus" which are actually vans and the license plate say "bus" they also have the destination on a sign in the wind shield in the windshield. It will cost you $2 per person each way. of course you will have a few locals jump on and off but everyone I met there was very friendly. I highly recommend the bus unless you absolutely want to ride by yourself. you can find the bus going up and down the streets in philipsburg. And it may add a few minutes to the ride but no more.

I just came back from a 7 day trip to sxm

Edited by cliffjumper

I would personally take the "bus" which are actually vans and the license plate say "bus" they also have the destination on a sign in the wind shield in the windshield. It will cost you $2 per person each way. of course you will have a few locals jump on and off but everyone I met there was very friendly. I highly recommend the bus unless you absolutely want to ride by yourself. you can find the bus going up and down the streets in philipsburg. And it may add a few minutes to the ride but no more.

I just came back from a 7 day trip to sxm

In 'downtown' Philipsburg, the local bus runs down Back Street, the next one over from the main shopping street, Frontstreet, from East to West. It does not run near the Cruise Facility.

Look for a sign labeled Bushalte or (sometimes) Bus Stop.

th_DSCN3649.jpg

(click)

gary

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

(click)

gary

Thank you, Gary. Are there chairs & umbrellas on Maho Beach? And would any taxis here have car seats available?

Yes, chairs and umbrellas are available at both of the beach bars that I mentioned earlier, Guy's and Sunset. I don't know the rates, as we don't do beach time here when on-island, we're just here for the planes and the beers. :)

We haven't been in a taxi here for years, so can't answer that one either, but I'll ask around and try to post before you leave.

I do know that day tours like from Joyce Prince and Bernard have car seats for the little ones.

Hopefully someone with recent taxi experience/kids can answer your question.

gary

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, chairs and umbrellas are available at both of the beach bars that I mentioned earlier, Guy's and Sunset. I don't know the rates, as we don't do beach time here when on-island, we're just here for the planes and the beers. :)

We haven't been in a taxi here for years, so can't answer that one either, but I'll ask around and try to post before you leave.

I do know that day tours like from Joyce Prince and Bernard have car seats for the little ones.

Hopefully someone with recent taxi experience/kids can answer your question.

gary

Do you just get off the ship and walk through the cruise facility to get to Back Street or do you have to take the water taxi first?

You can do either.

If you take the water taxi to the downtown stop at the Little Pier, then it's just a couple of blocks away from the pier to Back Street.

You can walk from the Cruise Facility into the edge of town in 15 or 20 minutes, then just a bit more to a bus stop on Back Street.

gary

You can do either.

If you take the water taxi to the downtown stop at the Little Pier, then it's just a couple of blocks away from the pier to Back Street.

You can walk from the Cruise Facility into the edge of town in 15 or 20 minutes, then just a bit more to a bus stop on Back Street.

gary

Does the water taxi go anywhere else?

You can do either.

gary

Is it safe to say that for an active, able-body first time visitor the walking option is better to get to the bus route and bus to the airport runway area in that you get to see more and maybe create more of an adventure....oh, and that it's completely free? $5-$7 each way per person on yet another boat merely to save 10-15 min. doesn't sound like a bargain to me.

The ship docks or tenders here??

Thanks

Is it safe to say that for an active, able-body first time visitor the walking option is better to get to the bus route and bus to the airport runway area in that you get to see more and maybe create more of an adventure....oh, and that it's completely free? $5-$7 each way per person on yet another boat merely to save 10-15 min. doesn't sound like a bargain to me.

Thanks

Yes

It is only a 15 min max walk from the pier to town. You will see many (100's) of people walking during the day in port.

Thanks

If you like taking pictures you do get a really nice view of the boardwalk and also of the ships from the water taxi. You can take it one way if you like.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our ship is only in port from 8 am to 3 pm, and according to the schedule there will be 5 ships in port that day. We always like to be back on board at least an hour before the last bell. We would really like to see the airplanes at Maho Beach, but I'm not sure, given the increased population that day, and the relatively short time in port, if it is feasible. Any thoughts?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app