Amalfi Coast or Pompeii

voyager70

Thanks so much for the tips on Pompeii. We have a reservation with "seeamalficoast" I have asked if we can do Pompeii first thing as you did. We are not looking to spend more than an hour there.

We were looking at Latagliata in Positano. Any thoughts????

Bill

Don't think you can in any way do justice to Pompeii in one hour, unless you've been there before.....just my opinion of course..

I love the Amalfi coast! When I think about beautiful coastal views, I think about the Amalfi Coast. I been to Pompeii twice. Although, I love history, I love, love, love - the Amalfi coast!

I believe Paestum would be a great additional treat since Paestum has one of the best collections of Greek temples outside of Greece.

If you choose the Amalfi coast be prepared for beautiful coastal views, crowds, and memories...

If you choose Pompeii be prepared for history, crowds, and memories...

I am glad you plan to visit the area again :)

If you are booking a private tour...go to Pompeii first...we did, we were first in and NEVER experienced any crowds....for the first half hour-45 minutes I think we encountered half a dozen people, no more... it was great... I'm sure by afternoon it's very crowded.

Thanks so much for the tips on Pompeii. We have a reservation with "seeamalficoast" I have asked if we can do Pompeii first thing as you did. We are not looking to spend more than an hour there.

Bill

If you're not looking to spend more than an hour there then I would just skip it altogether. :eek: There is just too much to see and if you plan on rushing through it in an hour you really are doing the site (and yourself) a disservice. Just my .02.

We were looking at Latagliata in Positano. Any thoughts????

Bill

We just got back from our Med cruise and used SeeAmalfiCoast - they were terrific and very accomodating. Gio was our driver and we loved him!

We did it all last year with seeamalficoast the number 1 on tripadvisor on activities in Naples they were fantastic and we didn't feel rushed. The price included lunch at the most magnificent hill side eatery.

If you didn't want to do it all (which you can comfortably with an organised tour) my vote and wifey's would defo go for the Amalfi cost option it was truly stunning and to be honest we found Pompeii a bit dirty and commercial. :eek:

Your last comment cracked me up, for real! What do you mean by Pompeii was "dirty and commercial"? I did not find Pompeii itself dirty, especially considering it was excavated from 20 feet of volcanic ash that was almost 2000 years old! It should look much dirtier! Yes, there are tents selling cameos and other touristy souvenirs outside the entrance, but that is to be expected.

Inside Pompeii is pristine IMO. You just have to be the one who appreciates history and the tremendous efforts it took to excavate this site, literally, from ashes for all to enjoy.

We just got back from the Liberty. We hired a private driver. we were picked up at 8:00, got to Pompeii at 8:30. We were the first ones in. We had a private guide who took us around for 2 hours to a virtually empty Pompeii. It was amazing.

From there, we drove the whole Amalfi coast. We had many stops along with the most amazing lunch of my life. Best day of a 28 day trip. Got back to the ship a bit before 5

What company did you go with? The chances of us being back here again are slim to none and we would really like to see as much as possible. Thank you!! :)

Thank you for all the replies. It really is a tough choice but I think we'll do Pompeii on this cruise & hopefully Amalfi Coast next time in Naples. We were in Ephesus a few years ago and were blown away with the history there, so I'm sure we'll love Pompeii as well. Thanks again!

Definitely the right choice! If you liked Ephesus then you will adore Pompeii. I thought Ephesus was amazing but it paled in to insignificance once I had walked the streets of Pompeii.

What company did you go with? The chances of us being back here again are slim to none and we would really like to see as much as possible. Thank you!! :)

We used Aloschi tours. It was a recommendation from an Italian friend of ours. The guide in Pompeii was separate.

I believe Aloschi is who the ship uses for their tours. It was great.

Rome in Limo will provide the same service, we were also at Pompeii..first in, with no crowds...they did a wonderful job and the guide, Maria, at Pompeii was great!:)

We have been to Naples twice. The first time we did POmpeii and then took the train to Sorrento and the ferry back to Naples. The second time we used AP Tours and spent most of the day driving the Amalfi coast and then 1 1/2 hours at Pompeii. We took 4 people with us who had never been and all 4 agreed that they loved the Amalfi coast the best. Of course we had already been to Florence and Rome so maybe that was part of it. I think 1 1/2 hours at Pompeii with a guide would be enough, it is hot no matter what time of day you go and a guide can help you hit the highlights. Unless you are major history buffs, it is interesting but I didn't love it either. There are few places in the world that compare to the beauty of the Amalfi coast, even if you only stop at Positano and Sorrento it would be worth it. We had Paolo as our driver and he mixed humor with alot of information about the area and boy was it nice to have him pick us up curbside after Pompeii. Also it was nice to have a relaxing day of enjoying the scenery and a fun meal at a family owned Italian restaurant (Paolo picked it, we told him we wanted cheap as we were a family of 4, and no more than 1 1/2 hours spent on lunch.) with a beautiful view and awesome food.

Really there is nothing relaxing about a Med cruise but a day along the Amalfi coast is the closest you can get!

Gracie115, omg I laughed so hard. Yes, I imagine if heights bug you, it is a definite eye opener. My very favorite place I've seen is or should I say are sorrento and positano! Can't wait to go back!

I loved it...my husband was absolutely miserable....horrible day...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived