Amalfi Coast or Pompeii

voyager70

Hi,

We're doing a med cruise this fall & one of the ports is Naples. We had initially planned on visiting both Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast (we're in port from 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM). After thinking it out, we decided to do just one, as this is a very port intensive itinerary and we don't want to get burned out. The tours we were looking at were between 9-10 hours with 3-4 hours of driving involved. This will be our third med cruise and I'm sure we'll do more so it's very likely we'll be back to Naples and will be able to see more. Of the two, which would you recommend for first-time Naples visitors? Thanks!

We did a Med cruise in 2010 and visited Pompeii. That was one place both DW and I both agree that we are going to revisit next year. My vote would be Pompeii. I don't think there is anything like it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Pompeii...definitely. The Amalfi Coast is beautiful but Pompeii is a sight unto itself. If you reconsider doing both we went on an independent tour of about 18 that included Pompeii, Positano, and Sorrento that was excellent.

Just got back. We had Rome in limo and he took us to sorrento, positano and pompei. I've been to a lot of beautiful places including cinque terre, Ephesus, Dubrovnik Venice but I have to say the almalfi coast with positano and sorrento was my favorite. If u want to see ruins with amazing history, go to pompei but if you want to see beautiful Italian cities, go to positano!

There were eight of us on the tour and a couple of us had been to Ephesus. We thought ephesus was even better than pompei.

It really depends what you want to see.

Forgot to add earlier that if you suffer from car sickness issues or have a problem with heights the Amalfi Coast is both windy and high - which is what affords it such beautiful scenery. Because of this my husband did NOT enjoy the ride along the Amalfi Coast at all...but we both enjoyed Positano and Sorrento (with the last being the place to do your shopping).

Forgot to add earlier that if you suffer from car sickness issues or have a problem with heights the Amalfi Coast is both windy and high - which is what affords it such beautiful scenery. Because of this my husband did NOT enjoy the ride along the Amalfi Coast at all...but we both enjoyed Positano and Sorrento (with the last being the place to do your shopping).

My husband didn't either, actually he was MISERABLE for that drive....

We spent the morning in Pompeii and it was great and I would DEFINITELY pick it over the Amalfi Coast...

Another vote for Pompeii. The Amalfi Coast is gorgeous but as another poster said, "there is nothing like Pompeii". And, if you will be visiting again, Amalfi can be done on another trip.

Another idea ... after visiting Pompeii, you could always visit the National Archaeological Museum in Naples to see some of the wonderful items found in both Pompeii & Herculaneum. I love this museum! Very easy to get to the museum via metro. :)

I vote for Pompeii, both because it is an easier trip on a port intensive cruise (we're doing a 13 day 11 port cruise this Fall), and because we really enjoyed staying along the Amalfi coast for a few days when we were there. Maybe save that for when you can do a few days pre or post cruise- we drove down from Rome before a Transatlantic for a few days two years ago, and it was great!

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I would choose the Amalfi coast with stops in Positano and then Sorrento which we actually did in the reverse. Pompeii is great if you love history. We did all 3 in Jine and did Pompeii last and it was hot, dry and dusty. I did not enjoy at all but DH who loves history found it fascinating. BTW, Positano was beautiful but the shops seemed pricey. Do shopping in Sorrento.

Thank you for all the replies. It really is a tough choice but I think we'll do Pompeii on this cruise & hopefully Amalfi Coast next time in Naples. We were in Ephesus a few years ago and were blown away with the history there, so I'm sure we'll love Pompeii as well. Thanks again!

Thank you for all the replies. It really is a tough choice but I think we'll do Pompeii on this cruise & hopefully Amalfi Coast next time in Naples. We were in Ephesus a few years ago and were blown away with the history there, so I'm sure we'll love Pompeii as well. Thanks again!

Good choice. If you enjoyed Ephesus you'll love Pompeii. We have just been to the Pompeii & Herculaneum exhibition at the British Museum & it brought back great memories of our visit to Pompeii. Doing the Amalfi coast and Pompeii in a day is all too much imo. We are hoping to do Herculaneum in September but not yet organised the transport. Can't wait.

While I enjoyed Pompeii I think you could do it in 2-3 hours leaving time for a stop in Sorrento and a drive on the Amalfi coast if you use a private or semi-private guide. We used SmartCruiseTours.com

If you liked Ephesus you will LOVE Pompeii!!!

Hi,

We're doing a med cruise this fall & one of the ports is Naples. We had initially planned on visiting both Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast (we're in port from 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM). After thinking it out, we decided to do just one, as this is a very port intensive itinerary and we don't want to get burned out. The tours we were looking at were between 9-10 hours with 3-4 hours of driving involved. This will be our third med cruise and I'm sure we'll do more so it's very likely we'll be back to Naples and will be able to see more. Of the two, which would you recommend for first-time Naples visitors? Thanks!

Like the majority of posters, I say Pompeii, I went there in 2011 and 2012 cruises, and I will be going back again this September, so much to see, I just find it very interesting, and I see something I overlooked before. It is so easy to get there on the train, no need for any excursion.

I agree that Pompeii is great. However, a half day there should do the trick and you might be able to do at least part of the Amalfi coast with the other half day. Check the tours offered both by the cruise line and the private operators discussed on this board. You might be able to do both.

We did it all last year with seeamalficoast the number 1 on tripadvisor on activities in Naples they were fantastic and we didn't feel rushed. The price included lunch at the most magnificent hill side eatery.

If you didn't want to do it all (which you can comfortably with an organised tour) my vote and wifey's would defo go for the Amalfi cost option it was truly stunning and to be honest we found Pompeii a bit dirty and commercial. :eek:

We did it all last year with seeamalficoast the number 1 on tripadvisor on activities in Naples they were fantastic and we didn't feel rushed. The price included lunch at the most magnificent hill side eatery.

If you didn't want to do it all (which you can comfortably with an organised tour) my vote and wifey's would defo go for the Amalfi cost option it was truly stunning and to be honest we found Pompeii a bit dirty and commercial. :eek:

Pompeii dirty? Commercial? I don't get that remark....I mean the restrooms weren't great...but hey, this is a city that was BURIED by a volcano 2000 years ago....please explain...or is that you just don't like historical sites, which is totally cool, but don't think you can call a place like Pompeii - commercial???:eek:

I'm baffled. Pompeii is basically the ruins of a city that was literally buried in ash. Of course it is dirty.... It's not some Disney World re-creation, it is the real thing.

As for commercial, there is not a shop to be found inside the premises other than one serviceable cafeteria and a small store selling books, maps and souvenirs. No hawkers inside roaming the streets selling souvenirs, ice cream or drinks.

We will be in Naples on 10 September arriving on the Epic. We have been told to stay clear of. The cruise line excursion due to them being blah! We are looking at Stefano Tours for the day. Any suggestions on others or feedback on things to see, cost etc. thank you all. Bill

We just got back from the Liberty. We hired a private driver. we were picked up at 8:00, got to Pompeii at 8:30. We were the first ones in. We had a private guide who took us around for 2 hours to a virtually empty Pompeii. It was amazing.

From there, we drove the whole Amalfi coast. We had many stops along with the most amazing lunch of my life. Best day of a 28 day trip. Got back to the ship a bit before 5

I have seen both Pompeii and Herculaneum. Herculaneum is smaller and easier to manage. Both wonderful in different ways. A couple of years ago we had a limo tour that included both Herculaneum and the Amalfi Coast. Do-able!

I have seen both Pompeii and Herculaneum. Herculaneum is smaller and easier to manage. Both wonderful in different ways. A couple of years ago we had a limo tour that included both Herculaneum and the Amalfi Coast. Do-able!

Even better...do Pompeii in the morning and Herculaneum in the afternoon....we've been to both too and they are both SO interesting....

Thanks so much for the tips on Pompeii. We have a reservation with "seeamalficoast" I have asked if we can do Pompeii first thing as you did. We are not looking to spend more than an hour there.

We were looking at Latagliata in Positano. Any thoughts????

Bill

Archived