Best way to book to get best price?

Jenrose

So I've been testing some itineraries, and when we book it as two adults and a child, it is charging full price for all three, despite "additional person" rates that are supposed to be at a discount. Wondering if I should book the two of us and then add the toddler on after, via phone? Or what am I missing?

I think the first two are always booked at full fair. In terms of the third, I think that depends on the cruise line. When we booked our son on RCI, his rate was roughly half - although I cannot tell if that is standard adult as third person, or child as third person. Some lines like MSC have huge discounts for children. It just depends.

Which line are you looking at? You might want to post on their forum too to see what/when they offer third person and/or child discounts.

I think the first two are always booked at full fair. In terms of the third, I think that depends on the cruise line. When we booked our son on RCI, his rate was roughly half - although I cannot tell if that is standard adult as third person, or child as third person. Some lines like MSC have huge discounts for children. It just depends.

Which line are you looking at? You might want to post on their forum too to see what/when they offer third person and/or child discounts.

I think it really depends on the particular cruise and cabin, and what specials are going on. I once did a "test" booking and was amazed that the 3rd person was at a higher price then the first two in the cabin.

I think it really depends on the particular cruise and cabin, and what specials are going on. I once did a "test" booking and was amazed that the 3rd person was at a higher price then the first two in the cabin.

True. Test booking is the best way to find out rates. So far, "most" of my test bookings on RCI were deep discount for third person, but I was looking at GS and we mostly sail during non-peak times, and our third person is our 4 y/o son. So not sure why we get discount - because he is child or third person or both :). I have also test booked a few cruises on Princess, Celebrity, Disney, and Cunard, and some of those charged me full price for all three, some gave discounts - it really varied. But, I am not sure I have seen third person higher, but then again I might have missed that...

3rd/4th rate can be higher than 1st/2nd

I just found one last night on Norwegian and I am not going to point it out because I still may grab it but the 1/2 was $300ish and the 3rd/4th was in the $400s

It all comes down to supply/demand. How many triples/quads are left over?

The same time period - same class of ship - has 3rd/4th at $199. So THAT ship must have more quads open in the inventory ;)

All cruise lines work the same way. Royal/Norwegian/Princess/Carnival/Hal

Seen the same on all of them.

Archived