Edited by Marinerbaby

Here is what I take:

Nikon D300s

Nikkor 50mm 1.8

Nikkor 16-85mm

Sigma 18-250mm

SB600

Black Rapid strap

I have a Nikkor 80-200, but it is too big unless I was specifically shooting some wildlife. If I took it, would include a Manfrotto monopod.

Hey Dave I thought you were renting a Sony 70-400 G1 for Alaska?

John

Ended up scheduling excursions where I figure my 70-200 f/2.8 with the 1.4x converter will do the job.

I find I'm focusing my gear purchases on the NEX system. The A77 is an amazing camera but with the same sensor and a fraction of the weight, the NEX-7 is becoming the go-to shooter.

Dave

Edited by pierces

I agree Dave, have gone from Nikon camera and lens to Sony NEX-7,-6 and a few lens. I can carry more with less room and for me the quality does not change. Also have the Panasonic FZ200 (great camera) that I use for my super zoom, when needed. All this fits in one Think Tank Retrospective 10 bag. Also carry the Sony RX100 pocket camera.

Tom

I agree Dave, have gone from Nikon camera and lens to Sony NEX-7,-6 and a few lens. I can carry more with less room and for me the quality does not change. Also have the Panasonic FZ200 (great camera) that I use for my super zoom, when needed. All this fits in one Think Tank Retrospective 10 bag. Also carry the Sony RX100 pocket camera.

Tom

There are still situations where the A77's autofocus speed and handling (long lens, etc.) makes it the right choice but it sure is nice to have the option of going on a "gear diet" and shedding several pounds of gear without sacrificing quality.

Still waffling on the RX-100/RX-100 MkII. Tempted to wait for the next generation of sensors or the RX-10(?) APS-C version but who knows...Santa may already have finished his shopping! :D

Dave

RX-100/RX-100 MkII did a compare in dpreview and did not see that big a difference for the money difference. Hey it's cheaper than buying a FAST lens. I do not like to shoot with flash, think the RX-100 will do great in low light on the ship. Time will tell. Thanks to you, was sold on the Sony NEX camera and gear. Believe me at age of 70 these cameras are the best for older people lol.

Tom :cool:

Here is what I'm planning on bringing on my Mediterranean Cruise next week:

Cameras

Sony RX1

Nikon Coolpix A

Sigma DP2

Fuji X-E1 14mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm

Olympus EP5 17mm, 60mm Macro, 75mm

Accessories

Sirui 025 Tripod, BH25 Head

RRS table top Tripod BH25 Head

SD cards & wallets

Filters Circular Polarizer and NDs

Remotes, Cables, Chargers, extra batteries

rain protection

Oly TG-2 for in water

Bags

ThinkTank 4 Sight Roller (for transport)

LowePro 10L Backpack

TT MM30i or LowePro Passport Sling

PacSafe Camsafe Venture 8 Shoulder

Tech

MacBook Air 13"

2X 256 SSDs

iPad mini

iPad

Edited by compulady

The occupants of my bag (ThinkTank Airport Ultralight):

• Canon 5DmkIII w/ battery grip
  • Canon 8-16mm fisheye
  • Canon 24-105mm
  • Canon 100-400mm (aka "The Dust Trombone")
  • Canon 28mm
  • Canon 430EX II speedlite
  • Canon G11 (converted to infrared with Life Pixel 590nm "Super Color IR")
  • GoPro Hero3 Silver
  • Sunpak carbon fiber tripod w/ pistol grip

Just picked up a Pelican 1510 case for transport.

Edited by HickoryShampoo

How much do you use your infrared camera? I just converted an old digital compact camera today and it is kind of fun, but not sure how long Andy Worhol looking photos will keep my attention.

It takes more effort in post-processing than I originally thought and - to be honest - my results have not been as satisfying as I'd hoped. Learning has been slow, too, due to work eating up way too much of my time over the past few months. I think the biggest revelation was when I finally realized the importance of white balance. I'm really hoping to give it a workout in November in the Caribbean.

Anyway, YRMV.

Here's my IR gallery:

Edited by HickoryShampoo

I used to travel with a lot of camera gear .. never as much as some of the posts here, but still quite a bit. Nikon DSLR , 3 or 4 lenses, and all the stuff that goes with it (batteries, chargers, cables, flash, tripod...yada yada yada).

A few years ago a lady friend of mine showed me her new Panasonic Lumix FZ150 and asked a few questions about how to use it. I fiddled with it for a few minutes and was sold. That became the camera for my upcoming 3 weeks in Provence.

Really, it is a fantastic camera: small, very light, super good low light performance, decent video, great zoom range .. shoots RAW, just really a nice setup all around and about $400. The quality of the photos I take with this are technically every bit as good as what comes out of my much larger and much heavier Nikon. I've lately spent a lot more time on composition and the scene setup than changing lenses and carting around 60 pounds of crap and my pictures have improved as a result.

If She Who Must Be Obeyed would let me I'd get the latest version.

I still use my big Nikon, but at home and mostly on a tripod for panoramas or lightning shots.

Edited by c141heaven

On cruises I usually bring:

- Canon EOS 60D

- Canon ultrasonic 50mm macro 1.4

- Canon ultrasonic 77mm ultra-wide zoom 17-40mm

- Microfiber cloth

- Lens brush

- Canon EOS Digital strap

- Lowepro camera backpack

- Lowepro camera holster or a my larger Case Logic zoom camera holster

- multicoated circular polarizing filter

- monopod x 1

- tripod x 1

- 16 GB x 2, 32 GB and 8 GB memory cards

- battery charger

i'd like to think that I pack pretty lightly :D.

Edited by lovely_serenity

• 7 months later...

I take a small kit with two mirrorless cameras (very light):

Timbuk2 Informant Camera Sling bag (small) - Fits in everything below + water bottle, filters and sunglasses in a tiny package.

Fujifilm X100s - It's leaf shutter & built-in ND filter are great for daylight & sunset flash fills with HSS (High Speed Sync).

Sony A6000 - 24MP (for cropping in post, if needed), very good high ISO performance, easy to operate.

Sony Zeiss 16-70mm / F4.0 lens - Standard zoom for bulk of the shots. Optical image stabilization.

Sony 10-18mm / F4.0 lens - Great for interiors and vistas. Optical image stabilization. Takes filters.

Microsoft Surface Pro 2 / 256GB - This has 8GB of RAM. Light and compact for Photoshop work on the go.

This is the best travel setup for me. My Canon 5D Mark III and lenses stay home.

My thoughts on what camera to take are changing. I've never taken much, but I may reduce even further.

On our last cruise (embarking/disembarking at Southampton, UK, to which port we travelled by car - we live in the UK) I took a Canon 60D outfit - the body + 15-85, 70-200 f4, 10-22 & 35mm lenses. However I recently bought a Canon 100D (SL1) camera plus 18-55 kit lens as a travel camera, and on a recent 48 hour trip to Rome that was so light and easy! So I might just take that small outfit next time.

I'm trying to scale down what I'm taking on our 11 Night Med Cruise this June but my recent purchase of my new "toy" is having an adverse effect on those plans. Planning on taking the following for our 11 night Med Cruise. My new toy is the GoPro camera. I absolutely love it and gone nuts buying accesories. Here is what I am taking....so far.

Sony NEX 6, 16-50 mm ; 55-210 lens; batteries & external charger; filters, SD cards, gorilla pod. LowPro DLSR AW150 backpack.

iPhone 5.

The GoPro Hero 3+ Black. I love this camera. The main accessories:

iStabilizer-scope monopod for iPhone and GoPro

Car-mount

Jaws-clamp with extender

external batteries and charger

filters.

LCD bacpac

micro sd cards

external battery (Anker)

Steadicam Curve (on order)

assorted teathers

On our first Alaska cruise, we took four DSLRs (1D3, 7D, 7D, 40D) and six lenses (EF-S 10-22, 16-35, 24-105, 70-200/2.8IS, 500/4IS). I think the 16-35 never got used. My wife and I both shoot, so this was spread among two people (and two peoples' backpacks).

On our second Alaska cruise, we took four DSLRs (1Dx, 1D3, 7D, 7D) and six lenses (14/2.8, 16-35, 24-70, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 400/4IS-DO with 1.4x TC). It strikes me as odd/funny that the 16-35 again may have collected dust. I also took our 40D and EF-S 10-22 to clamp onto the balcony divider for a time-lapse video. Neat stuff, but not sure I'll bother with that again.

For those first two cruises, we'd usually mix & match gear choices (I'd get the 400 and the 24-70, she'd get the 70-200 and 14) so that together we had a full range. This year, "I've had enough of that", so I'm rounding out the gear list:

For me: 1Dx, 1Dx, 1D3, Zeiss 15/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/4, 200-400/4 (with 1.4x inside), and possibly the 600/4 (plus 1.4x). I really doubt I'll take the 600, but we'll see how the rental budget turns up.

For her (she's indicated that she wants relatively simple, and no more than two cameras): 5D3, 7D, 14/2.8, 24-105, 70-200/4IS. I intend to take our 300/4IS as well, but that may end up collecting dust.

If it were some place besides Alaska, I'd cut back like nobody's business.

My wife always rolls her eyes at how much gear I take. Then I showed her this thread. Didn't work. She just said "don't get any ideas"

BTW

Pentax K5, 16-50mm, 50-135mm, 120-400mm, 10-20mm, 10-17mm, batts, memory galore, tripod, filters (NDs, grads, polarizers) and another big heavy bag full of stuff you "absolutely" need. If on an airplane I cut back to what I can wedge into my kata 103 backpack.

I never travel to Alaska with less than two cameras. We had our nice nikon with 3 lenses, a nice long zoom kodak that my husband uses and I had bought a nice small canon to carry around on the ship. Before our cruise we were in Seattle doing touristy things and my brand new canon took about 14 pictures and quit, never to work again. I would have been truly upset if that was the only camera I had, because there was no time to go shopping, we were leaving early the next morning for Vancouver. I could of bought one on the ship, but not the quality of camera I had.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hmmm. My travel kit has just been upgraded, so it'll be

Pentax K-30 (bought for the weather sealed body and improvements over my old K100D),

DA 18-135 weather-sealed for rainy days, walkabout, and whale-watching tour

DA 12-24 for landscapes

70-300 for general usage in dry conditions

monopod (and possibly tripod) w/ QR plates and head

and

Olympus XZ-1 compact for carry-at-all-times use

assorted chargers, cords, and spare SD cards

Toshiba netbook for backing up SD cards (as well as videos, music, email, etc)

Maybe a few other bits and pieces, and my wife will have her little Canon P&S along too...

Jim

I will be going on a Panama Canal transit cruise. On cruises I usually take my Nikon D7000 with a Tamron 18-270, Nikon 18-105 and a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 and a travel tripod plus cleaning supplies and a laptop.

I recently purchased a Nikon P7800 mirrorless camera and that is all I took on my last cruise. I liked traveling light, but for Panama I'm debating if I should pack the DSLR. Has anyone been on a transit cruise and which camera(s) did you use? We will be flying to the port and I don't want to be weighed down with all the gear again, but I don't want to miss once in a lifetime shots either. Any thoughts?

I will be going on a Panama Canal transit cruise. On cruises I usually take my Nikon D7000 with a Tamron 18-270, Nikon 18-105 and a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 and a travel tripod plus cleaning supplies and a laptop.

I recently purchased a Nikon P7800 mirrorless camera and that is all I took on my last cruise. I liked traveling light, but for Panama I'm debating if I should pack the DSLR. Has anyone been on a transit cruise and which camera(s) did you use? We will be flying to the port and I don't want to be weighed down with all the gear again, but I don't want to miss once in a lifetime shots either. Any thoughts?

Been through twice and brought back no photos from the first one due to a defective shutter in my film SLR. Didn't do the Jungles on the second trip and the DSLR was my only camera at the time. If you are doing a full transit, you may want to take the DSLR and faster lenses. The Costa Rican jungles are pretty amazing and light isn't spectacular under the canopy. If you aren't taking any jungle related tours, the canal can be photographed pretty thoroughly with just about any decent camera.

Dave

Been through twice and brought back no photos from the first one due to a defective shutter in my film SLR. Didn't do the Jungles on the second trip and the DSLR was my only camera at the time. If you are doing a full transit, you may want to take the DSLR and faster lenses. The Costa Rican jungles are pretty amazing and light isn't spectacular under the canopy. If you aren't taking any jungle related tours, the canal can be photographed pretty thoroughly with just about any decent camera.

Dave

Thank you Dave. We are doing a full transit, from Tampa to Long Beach. Haven't decided on excursions yet but probably the fort in Cartagena and maybe a zip-line. I'm not sure if I'd want to take a DSLR on the zip-line. I'd hate to have something happen to it. Did you?