Train to Baltimore then to Port

LANDLADY

Looking for some help or guidance. has anyone ever taken the train to Baltimore? How did you get to Port after arrival at train station? I see their is a train to Baltimore and a train to Baltimore airport(BWI). Does anyone know where the stations are in relationship to the PORT?

Mobility issues (torn meniscus) has created a problem with us driving to Baltimore for our cruise so I am looking for some options. Coming from NYC. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pennsylvania Station Baltimore is north of the Inner Harbor and Downtown Baltimore. The BWI terminal is adjacent to the airport parking. You will go about 12 miles south of downtown and have to go back via cab.

There will be cabs at both locations.

The trip from BWI will be all on Interstate highways [i-195 and I95]. It is about twelve miles and 15 minutes from the Maryland Cruise Terminal. The cost will be about $35.

Penn Station is closer to the port. Travel is all on city streets. No congestion problems if it is a Sunday. Travel time is probably about the same. Can't cost more than the $35 from the BWI station.

Edited by Chesterpeake

A couple of other things to consider. You can probably get Red Cap help at Baltimore Penn Station but definitely not at BWI. Trains arriving at Penn have an easy escalator ride up to the lobby level, while at BWI it's either a long stairway or small elevator up to a crossover and the same going back down.

IIRC, a taxi from downtown Baltimore to the port was about $20, I don't think it would be more than $25 from Penn.

Roy

Madelinerose,

You are closing in on 10,000 posts! I am certain there thousands of Cruise Critics who have benefited from, and appreciate, your good advice. I do.

How very kind of you, John, thank you! I post only occasionally these days, but if I can be of any help to anyone, that's always a good thing. ;)

• 3 months later...
I'm going to be doing the same on my cruise next spring; but was wondering about a taxi from the port, upon returning, back to Penn Station. Do I need to arrange for that ahead of time, or will their be taxis waiting that I can just grab one, and go?

oh there will be PLENTY all lined up just waiting. they send about 6-8 at a time around the edge of the terminal to the meet you as you come off the ship. and right behind them another half dozen. I watched the dance as we waited to be allowed in to park back in September. very smooth.. no less than two dozen cabs in under ten minutes.

A couple of other things to consider. You can probably get Red Cap help at Baltimore Penn Station but definitely not at BWI. Trains arriving at Penn have an easy escalator ride up to the lobby level, while at BWI it's either a long stairway or small elevator up to a crossover and the same going back down.

IIRC, a taxi from downtown Baltimore to the port was about $20, I don't think it would be more than $25 from Penn.

Roy

These are very good points to consider if you have mobility issues. I agree about the $25 cab fare from Penn Station to the port.

Given the OP's situation, I would probably choose Penn Station over BWI. Not only for the reasons listed, but also because on the return trip, there are more seats available inside the Penn Station waiting area than there are at BWI. Plus, in general, Penn is a larger station and just feels less cramped.

However, just to take the other side for a moment . . . it is a short walk, all on the same level -- no stairs, elevators, ramps, or anything else -- from where the taxi drops off at the BWI station to the northbound platform. (The elevator up, cross the bridge, and elevator back down thing only applies when using the southbound platform.) Though, admittedly, it's a pretty short walk from where the taxis drop at Penn Station as well.

And thank you to both madelinerose and Chesterpeake; over the time I've been on CC, I have benefitted from both of your comments and advice.

• 2 months later...

And thank you to both madelinerose and Chesterpeake; over the time I've been on CC, I have benefitted from both of your comments and advice.

Hi bus man. You also have provided many with wonderful info here. I am just seeing this and want to thank you for such a nice compliment. You're very welcome. ;)

Hi bus man. You also have provided many with wonderful info here. I am just seeing this and want to thank you for such a nice compliment. You're very welcome. ;)

Where's the "like" button when I need it! :)