Family-friendly hotel and restaurant in Galveston

bus man

Hi everyone! We (myself, DW, DS-7, and DD-5) will be sailing on the RCI Navigator out of Galveston in April 2014. I'm still trying to figure out the transportation picture, but at this point in time, it looks like we'll be taking a taxi from Hobby Airport to Galveston the day before the cruise -- thus, we won't have a car of our own while we're there.

Can anyone recommend a decent, family-friendly, not-too-expensive hotel, that is in easy walking distance to a decent, family-friendly, not-too-expensive restaurant? A shuttle to the cruise port would be a nice bonus, but isn't a requirement. Does not matter if it's on the beach or not. But wherever it is, I'd like it to be in an area in which we would feel safe walking to and from the restaurant. (I don't mean to offend anyone from Galveston; I've never been there before, so I have no idea if it has "unsafe" areas or not.)

Thank you for any ideas you can send my way.

You can go to www.galveston.com for deals at hotels or use Priceline. There also many chain and local places to eat. There are several hotels near eating establishments. This is a great place with lots of historical places to visit. The biggest thing is the cost to get to the port. However, we were in Rome earlier this year and the cost from the airport to hotel and hotel to port were comparable. It I just a part of the package. We really enjoyed NOS and it will have been through refurbish when you go! We will be on November 2014! Enjoy!:D

I don't know how much you want to spend but the Hilton has some really good rates for your date right now. That is where we reserved because their rates are less than a lot of more common, cheaper type motels. I believe they also have a shuttle to the port.

My husband and I will be staying at the La Quinta at 1402 E Seawall when we're there in February, and it's about a block from the Pleasure Pier, and several downtown restaurants. Hope it helps! :-)

A lot of the popular restaurants seem to cater more towards adults; some of the better restaurants I've looked at don't show kid's menus.

We're cruising Oct 19 and right now I'm leaning towards Bubba Gumps. We'll have our 4 yr old DGD with us, which is why I've been perusing kid's menus. We've never been to a Bubba Gumps (not a real popular chain in the Northeast!), so it would be something different for us.

Most restaurants have children's menus, they just don't list them on their websites.

I figured as much, but I think our DGD would probably do better at a place like Gumps, rather than Gaidos or a more upscale place. She's very well behaved, but after 5 hrs on a plane and 2 more to reach Galveston, I want her to be able to enjoy herself.

We've been to Rainforest Cafes before, and you're right about it being great for kids. But mainly, I just wanted to say thanks to ssb for all the helpful info thy provide on here. CC is great, especially because people like ssb are so willing to help and share their knowledge.

Thanks!:):):)

We've been to Rainforest Cafes before, and you're right about it being great for kids. But mainly, I just wanted to say thanks to ssb for all the helpful info thy provide on here. CC is great, especially because people like ssb are so willing to help and share their knowledge.

Thanks!:):):)

You are welcome!:D

I can tell you about others.

I was just posturing,

for if the eating place is geared towards the kids enjoyment.

Where are you staying,

unless you don't mine using a taxi?

Hotels like Galvez, Tremont, Harbor House, San Luis, Hilton, Holiday Inn Resort, and Moody Gardens and Inn at WaterPark

have transfer limo buses to take you around island

to port restaurants, old town (strand), Pleasure Pier and Moody Gardens complex.

If you’re staying at these, you should have flexibility to move around to other locations on islands!!

Call and confirm availability

Some other newer motels may have vans also.

Not intending to be excluding them!

Incidentally Gaidos has three restaurants Nicks, Gaidos and Pelican Club

You are welcome!:D

I can tell you about others.

I was just posturing,

for if the eating place is geared towards the kids enjoyment.

Where are you staying,

unless you don't mine using a taxi?

Hotels like Galvez, Tremont, Harbor House, San Luis, Hilton, Holiday Inn Resort, and Moody Gardens and Inn at WaterPark

have transfer limo buses to take you around island

to port restaurants, old town (strand), Pleasure Pier and Moody Gardens complex.

If you’re staying at these, you should have flexibility to move around to other locations on islands!!

Call and confirm availability

Some other newer motels may have vans also.

Not intending to be excluding them!

Incidentally Gaidos has three restaurants Nicks, Gaidos and Pelican Club

Thanks again for the info. We're staying at The Galvez. We booked transfers and the hotel through Disney. It's not the cheapest way to go, and if it was just DW and myself we would have tried other options, but we figure we're safe booking through Dis (I'd read some posts bout limos not showing up, etc.). Plus, the Galvez seems like a good location for restaurants and activities.

Thanks again for the info. We're staying at The Galvez. We booked transfers and the hotel through Disney. It's not the cheapest way to go, and if it was just DW and myself we would have tried other options, but we figure we're safe booking through Dis (I'd read some posts bout limos not showing up, etc.). Plus, the Galvez seems like a good location for restaurants and activities.

The Galvez is beautiful,:)

and is operated by Wyndham Grand Hotels.

Yes, its a great location for Pleasure Pier and Murdochs (Large souvenir shop over gulf water).

They do have a transfer limo buse to take you around island

to Port restaurants, Old Town (Strand) and their other commonly owned hotels Harbor House on Port and Tremont Downtown!

Enjoy your stay and cruise! :)

My husband and I will be staying at the La Quinta at 1402 E Seawall when we're there in February, and it's about a block from the Pleasure Pier, and several downtown restaurants. Hope it helps! :-)

I Have heard good reviews on this one do you know if its close to any stores for supplies like water soda ect ???

Archived