What to do in the afternoon?

realtorlady42

My DH and I a will be in Cozumenl for the first time in Jan.

We are doing seperate excursions in the morning, then going to meet back at the ship for lunch and head out together. Have to be back to the ship for 5:00

What is there to do close to the pier..we are not partiers.

Thanks

Since it looks like you'll be on NCL, you will be at Punta Langosta pier right downtown.

So you will be in the center of everything with plenty of shopping, restaurants and bars right at the foot of the pier.

Bill

My DH and I a will be in Cozumenl for the first time in Jan.

We are doing seperate excursions in the morning, then going to meet back at the ship for lunch and head out together. Have to be back to the ship for 5:00

What is there to do close to the pier..we are not partiers.

Thanks

As has been stated you are probably docked at the town pier(or possibly tendering into, I believe).

If you like to walk, or take photos, you could take a cab north to the old Mayan replica or just past it to the back side of the airport to view the old propeller fighter plane. From there you could walk back to the pier OCEAN SIDE and there are a few monuments and fountains along the way. By walking ocean side you avoid most of the vendors on Melgar although you may be asked regularly if you want a taxi.

Alternatively if you have had an active morning with your excursions, or too much heat, and want an indoor activity you could walk to the small museum in town on Melgar, or you could arrange a tour of the chocolate factory and take a cab to that.

Thanks Bill!

Do you know if 3-4 hrs is enough for us to go to the Nature park?

I read it is a short taxi ride, but how short? And is 3 hrs enough time for there?

Thanks again...Good to know we can just walk off the ship and wander around!

Angela

Not sure where you mean by Nature park? Chankanaab or Punta Sur perhaps?

Chankanaab is closer and you could have time to get there and back and wander round, with quick snorkel. Not sure with the entrance fee that you would really get your money's worth but I have never been so can't really say. If you mean Punta Sur this is much further round the island, round the southern end and you could possibly get there and back and have a quick look round but it would be too much of a rush for me to take things in and appreciate it. I think that would definitely be better saved for another time with a round island tour.

There are also the small ruins at San Gervasio which may be an option - this is usually slated as a 2-hour tour with the taxi waiting for you and can be picked up from the taxi dispatcher at the pier. These are very small ruins compared to the ones on the mainland but can be an interesting diversion from the crowds of town and an interesting walk through the jungle (bring BUG SPRAY!)

Do you mean you need to be back on the ship by 5pm, or the ship leaves at 5pm, because that would definitely make a difference as to how much time you have available after lunch, and how far away I would want to travel?

Google has a very good detailed map of Cozumel and will allow you to do a "virtual tour" of the complete island circuit and most of the town area. You will be able to see just how far the places you would like to visit are.

As has been stated you are probably docked at the town pier(or possibly tendering into, I believe).

If you like to walk, or take photos, you could take a cab north to the old Mayan replica or just past it to the back side of the airport to view the old propeller fighter plane. From there you could walk back to the pier OCEAN SIDE and there are a few monuments and fountains along the way. By walking ocean side you avoid most of the vendors on Melgar although you may be asked regularly if you want a taxi.

Alternatively if you have had an active morning with your excursions, or too much heat, and want an indoor activity you could walk to the small museum in town on Melgar, or you could arrange a tour of the chocolate factory and take a cab to that.

Thank you, this is exactly the type of things we are looking for...I am not a big shopper we both like museums, historic sites, monuments etc and I am a hobby phtographer. If you have any links or extra info on these things I would greatly appreciate it :-)

Angela

Google has a very good detailed map of Cozumel and will allow you to do a "virtual tour" of the complete island circuit and most of the town area. You will be able to see just how far the places you would like to visit are.[/

Thank you I will take a look at that. From your description I would say it will be too rushed to do the park, so we will save that for another time.

I appreciate your info. It helped me to decide what we will or won't have time for in the afternoon.

Angela

Thank you, this is exactly the type of things we are looking for...I am not a big shopper we both like museums, historic sites, monuments etc and I am a hobby phtographer. If you have any links or extra info on these things I would greatly appreciate it :-)

Angela

This is a photo tour which we took once and had fun. Lots of good reviews on Tripadvisor.

http://cozumelphototour.blogspot.com/

At least click on the map to enlarge it and show you the area I was talking about. Also click on the link to the blog listed on this site for further information. http://islandmoosie.com/2011/05/27/cozumelphototour/

Tati is very accommodating and would probably set up something in your timeframe if you were interested, or you could just walk the area on your own.

Here are a couple of links to give you a brief insight into the area:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/things-walking-distance-port-cozumel-mexico-55864.html

http://www.trekexchange.com/tours/128

Archived