Carnival Glory 8/19/13

Hi All! going on our 3rd cruise (yes, beginners) to Canada on Glory...besides booking a private tour in Halifax I have nothing planned and have not had too much time to research the boards like I have for the other cruises.........any advice, help hints, recommendations etc would be greatly appreciated...and prayers for great weather :) thanks..........happy cruising

Hi! Just got back from Carnival Glory Canada trip. You should get to the St. Martin sea caves -- something like a kayak tour would be awesome. I don't recommend the Best of St. John bus tour -- there is not much to see in St. John. The market is worth maybe 20 minutes -- you've seen it all before. I do recommend that you see the St. Martin sea caves, and if you could kayak there or somehow explore the caves that would be worth your time. The reversing falls is underwhelming, but you need to see the big tide changes.

Halifax you should spend time and tour the Citadel. Unless you are an avid gardener, the public garden is worth 15 minutes of your time. Peggy's Cove is great, but the Acadia Maple shop should be MISSED. The city itself looks intriguing. We took the allday tour of Halifax and Peggy's Cove. I suggest you DON'T. Just get the Peggy's Cove tour. Do Halifax on your own.

Thank you! We booked a 3-4 hour tour in Halifax with Paul who seemed highly recommended on Trip Advisor..........how was the cruise overall.....we booked dinner in the Steakhouse one night........I think the weather is the only thing that can make or break this cruise.........hope you had a wonderful time and thanks again!

We've done 7 Canada cruises, including 3 on Glory. Halifax has a really nice boardwalk along the waterfront a fairly short distance from where the ship docks. You can book harbor tours, or visit the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (Halifax was the port from which the recovery was launched after the Titanic sank and it has a very good Titanic exhibition). I also like to recommend a visit to Alexander Keith's Brewery, which has a tour of the brewery as it appeared in the 1860s and has a tap room where you try samples (I love Keith's Ale:cool:).

We generally just walk around Saint John. Sometimes they will have concerts going on at Market Square, which is a short walk from the pier. When you leave the ship, they will have local greeters who will have maps and will be more than happy to make suggestions of places to visit. Both Saint John and Halifax (especially Saint John) have some of the friendliest people you could hope to meet in a port.

As for Glory, I haven't been aboard since she received the Funship 2.0 upgrades. However, if you like hot tubs Glory has a really nice pool/hot tub in the spa area (at least it still shows on the deck plans - some of her sisters lost the pools during prior drydocks).

When sailing out of New York, you will pass the Statue of Liberty on the right about a half hour after sailing. A short time later you will sail under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Go up to one of the highest decks to experience sailing under the bridge.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Hi, not sure your ages and interests, but in Saint John, my 13 yr old son and I did the Reversing Falls Jet Boat (the Thrill ride) ride in the morning. We enjoyed it! I booked directly with the company via their website and took a taxi there and back.

http://jetboatrides.com

On the way back we asked the driver to drop us at City Market and we walked through all the shopping and market areas to the waterfront and back on the ship.

As for the really nice hot tub in the spa/gym area -- yes it's there, but sadly was not filled : ( Hope that they fix the hot tubs on the Glory in time for your sailing, because they ALL were closed for the entire cruise.

Other than that, we had a great time!

Lynne

Hi All! going on our 3rd cruise (yes, beginners) to Canada on Glory...besides booking a private tour in Halifax I have nothing planned and have not had too much time to research the boards like I have for the other cruises.........any advice, help hints, recommendations etc would be greatly appreciated...and prayers for great weather :) thanks..........happy cruising

Just returned today. The hot tubs are closed and they lied to us about the reason. The ports and ship are beautiful. Hope you enjoy yourself!!

We were on the Glory 8/5-8/10. The hot tubs were all open everyday EXCEPT Friday the 9th. At first we thought it was just the hot tub in the back of the ship . My husband did ask someone why it was closed and she told him she thought they might be just closed for some "maintenance". Then we realized EVERY hot tub on the ship was closed. We were wondering if people were sick or if something happened in one.

quick question........who was the piano player? I read James was great but was getting off 8/10.......thanks!!!

David. It wasn't our cup of tea but we saw people in the bar every night.

As for St. Johns.. I HIGHLY recommend the City Tour. It was an excellent excursion with a lot of interesting places and stories about the history. Two stops : at City Market and at the Reversing Falls. The best $20 pp spent in this city.

THE friendliest people in Canada:). Loved it.

We just got back from the august 10th sailing. We had the most amazing day in St John thanks to Fundy Tours. We were a group of 10 - 2 families with 6 teens between us. We were worried about the teens enjoying themselves and finding the Bay of Fundy interesting but the kids really got into it thanks to our tour guide Kenny who made sure we made lots of interesting stops along the way to the sea caves in St. Martin such as visiting an old lighthouse and trekking out to a cliff overlooking the bay (seriously thought we were going to plunge to our deaths though but it was amazing!).

We did not book anything in Halifax - just visited the Maritime museum and walked the waterfront.

Archived