Even more visa questions

Scrapnana

The topic of visas has once more reared its ugly head in our roll call. So I would like to hear some personal experiences. These questions pertain just to visas for China and India.

1) When did you apply and when did your cruise start?

2a) How difficult was the process of filling each in (minutes, hours?)

2b) How much help/guidance did the cruise line give you?

3) Did you use a visa service or get them yourself?

4) If you used a visa service, were they helpful if you had any questions, concerns?

5) If you used a visa service, which one did you use?

6) If you used a visa service, about how long did it take from the day you mailed them off and when you had the passport and visas back in hand?

7) Were there any glitches in the system?

8) Did you learn anything from the process that you would now do differently or any tips to help us along?

Yes, I am still stressing over these visas and probably won't stop until I have them in hand. Thanks to those who take the time to answer my questions and help me (and some others on the roll call) through this.

Kathi

Kath, believe it or not after many World Cruises and each time we go through this we do have some stress. It really has more to do with our passports not being lost.

Our cruise line utilizes a visa service. We cruise Crystal. While we don't have to use the Visa Service we do. Regardless, what is nice is that the visa service they use provides an example for each country requiring a visa and that really helps and they provide some key information.

I have gotten visas for China and India multiple times and on our upcoming World Cruise I have just filled out the China Visa. Let me first say that each time we do this the rules change so don't listen to what it was last year or the year before because rules change. By the way, we just did the China Visa and there were two different applications depending on which state you reside in. And for India there are different pieces of information required depending on what state you live in.

As to your questions:

1) When did you apply and when did your cruise start?

For China in general they cannot get your visa any earlier than six months before you enter the country. I believe India is the same way but you'll need to double check that.

2a) How difficult was the process of filling each in (minutes, hours?)

Because we had samples with sample information it took about a total of one hour for me to do the visa for myself and my wife and about 45 minutes for India for both applications.

2b) How much help/guidance did the cruise line give you?

We did not need any guidance because of the samples. If we did not have the samples I would have needed some help from the cruise line such as the address in China while in port.

3) Did you use a visa service or get them yourself?

Visa Service.

4) If you used a visa service, were they helpful if you had any questions, concerns?

Extremely helpful. You pay for the service but to me it is well worth the price.

5) If you used a visa service, which one did you use?

6) If you used a visa service, about how long did it take from the day you mailed them off and when you had the passport and visas back in hand?

7) Were there any glitches in the system?

Knock on wood have not had problems.

8) Did you learn anything from the process that you would now do differently or any tips to help us along?

Do the visas earlier in the process. Spend the money and use a service. Take your time. Read the instructions carefully.

If you have other questions, please post them.

Keith

Thanks, Keith. Having samples really sounds like a great idea. I've read of people having problems because they did not have the right address in the country (because it was a ship) -- I think it was with the India visa. With a sample you know exactly what the country wants.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just a cautionary tale about applying for China Visas too early as they change the format frequently. 3 times in one year for friends who travel there frequently. We applied for ours in Jan 2012 before our cruise in Late Feb 2012 and they changed the format between Dec and Jan so if we had applied before they would not have been valid. They are very difficult big dont stress just don't do it too early and if you use the Visa Service or your TA as we did to arrange it you will get them back in plenty if time.

Cheers Wendy

I am sorry but I see this differently. We try to obtain our visa six months in advance or as close to that date as possible but it can't be greater than six months. I would not apply for it too close to the date because there are times that it can be obtained quickly and other times it takes quite a while. Once you get the visa it is good as long as you enter within the specified time frame. We've done this before without a problem and are now doing it as I write this.

This is one of the reasons we use a Visa service and we use the one that our cruise line recommends.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Yes Keith I understand your point, but as we were advised by our travel agent to leave our China Visas as late as possible and our friends who go three regularly to see their son do so too because of their frequent changes we went with their recommendations. Mind you, this is in Australia and as we all know, different countries, different rules!!

Well now that I have gone through the China Visa process for our 2014 World Cruise (last time was for our 2012 World Cruise) I can provide more information.

First off, using a visa service that provides an example of how to fill out any and all visa forms is really helpful and even more so for places such as China since they ask for information that is not necessarily readily available/known.

Speaking as a United States Citizen you don't have to worry about different rules. In other words you can get your visa six months before entry (no earlier of it is invalid) and no worry that the visa will change.

What can change is the actual form. For example starting 9/1 there is a new visa application form but if you submitted your visa in August even if they didn't issue the visa until September the form you used is perfectly fine.

Each year they do ask for different requirements. We had to provide more information this time around than in 2012.

Keith

• 2 months later...

I am pleased to announce that I am now the proud possessor of an Indian and Chinese visa. My applications went through without a hitch and I had my passport back two weeks and one day from when I sent it to Visa Central. I applied for the 10 year Indian visa so, if I go back, I don't have to fill out that form again!

I am pleased to announce that I am now the proud possessor of an Indian and Chinese visa. My applications went through without a hitch and I had my passport back two weeks and one day from when I sent it to Visa Central. I applied for the 10 year Indian visa so, if I go back, I don't have to fill out that form again!

Congratulations.

It's always good when it works well.

This year we got our China Visa quickly as we did a couple of years ago but those who needed them last year it took longer.

You just never know although I know that the USA can be slow issuing visas and sometimes that results in "payback" time from the other countries to us.

Keith

Good for you. I know you were worried about this. Now you can start packing.

I was glad when I received my Brazilian Visa for my QV world voyage. Don't forget to wave as our two ships pass between Brisbane and Sydney in March.

Have a good trip.

Don

Good for you. I know you were worried about this. Now you can start packing.

I was glad when I received my Brazilian Visa for my QV world voyage. Don't forget to wave as our two ships pass between Brisbane and Sydney in March.

Have a good trip.

Don

Thanks, Don! It's a shame Cunard didn't have the QE and QV meet up at some point. I hope we will pass close enough to at least toot horns at each other!

You have a good cruise, too!

Kathi

Thanks, Don! It's a shame Cunard didn't have the QE and QV meet up at some point. I hope we will pass close enough to at least toot horns at each other!

You have a good cruise, too!

Kathi

Kathi

I received notice last night from Cunard that they have obtained my Australian Visa for me. So I'm all set to go.

Don

Kathi

I received notice last night from Cunard that they have obtained my Australian Visa for me. So I'm all set to go.

Don

Don,

Good to know. I asked my TA about this a few weeks ago (while I was trying to figure out the China and India visas) and she said Cunard had told her they would be done in a couple of weeks.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't let us get our own (which is supposed to be amazingly easy) like they did for other countries. This was a service not offered to the Brits on my roll call but I don't think we paid anything extra for letting Cunard do the work.

Kathi

Kathi, yes, I wish all visa were like Australia.

If you are from countries such as the USA, to get the Australia visa it is done electronically and on line. You just provide a few pieces of information such as passport number, nationality and full names and a credit card number and the electronic visa is issued instantaneously and all you get is a number. It's that easy. Turkey has gone to one as well which makes it easier for those whose cruise begins there. Some TA's are able to get it for their clients too and for whatever reason they can do it at no charge. Not sure how that works. It is nice though that Cunard took care of that for you.

I really wish one day everyone could go to this type of program (including USA) to avoid the need to send passports in and to be waiting for visas which can be a very frustrating and nerve-racking experience.

Keith

It was real simple to get my Argentina Visa. Just went online and filled out a few questions including my credit card info for the $160 fee. The website generated the visa with a bar code that I printed down and will show them when we arrive in country.

Yes it would be nice if all visas could be obtained either by Internet or through the cruise company.

Don