Question about cashing in visa points

I am getting ready to use 125,000 points towards a 7-day Oasis cruise in November. I "think" I have figured out the way I want to go -- use them for minimum oceanview cabin for 2 and then upgrade to a balcony. But my question is the sequence in which I do all this.

Do I call Crown and Anchor and book the cruise with the balcony cabin I want and then when the certificate reached them they just deduct the cost of the minimum oceanview OR do I book an oceanview, wait for the certificate to get to them, then turn around and call back and upgrade to a balacony and pay the difference?

Or does it matter?

Also, am I correct in assuming that I still can get my Diamond Balcony discount applied.

Thanks for the help from those who have done this.

I am getting ready to use 125,000 points towards a 7-day Oasis cruise in November. I "think" I have figured out the way I want to go -- use them for minimum oceanview cabin for 2 and then upgrade to a balcony. But my question is the sequence in which I do all this.

Do I call Crown and Anchor and book the cruise with the balcony cabin I want and then when the certificate reached them they just deduct the cost of the minimum oceanview OR do I book an oceanview, wait for the certificate to get to them, then turn around and call back and upgrade to a balacony and pay the difference?

Or does it matter?

Also, am I correct in assuming that I still can get my Diamond Balcony discount applied.

Book the balcony first and get your balcony discount applied. Then use the redemption website to cash in the points, and they will credit you with the price of the least expensive available OV at the time they receive your redemption request.

Or does it matter?

Book your balcony first, then watch prices of the lowest OV. Try and lock it in when the lowest OV's are priced high. Try and get as much of the $2500 value you can get.

Edited to add that Yes you get your D Balcony discount applied.

And could you redeem them any time before your cruise or do you have to redeem them right before final payment or can you even do it after final payment?

Anytime, even after final payment, though there is probably some minimum time before the cruise that they need to process it.

Can I DOWNGRADE from minimum OV?

Here's my situation - I have a Promenade booked on Freedom next summer, 7 day cruise. The total (fare only) is about $2400, I've already paid $1000. So, I want to cash my 125K points, minimum OV right now is above $2500. I'm assuming I will get $1400 taken off the reservation, and another $1000 refunded to my CC - Is this correct?

Archived