Television quality on board (the SETS themselves)

MSBerliner

Some new ships have virtual portholes in the inside cabins. I know Disney does.

On the next RCCL ship inside cabins:

"Designed to provide real-time views of the ocean and our exciting destinations, these interior rooms will feature virtual balconies that span nearly floor to ceiling and capture all the beauty of the sea to WOW our guests in a way never done before. Imagine enjoying the sunrise and sunset from the comfort of your interior stateroom."

We've found the tv's in the cabin are fine. I have found that usually when first arriving in the cabin the tv's are set to stretch mode to fill the entire screen. They do not broadcast in 16:9 so the stretched mode will distort the picture, usually making faces, etc, look fat. The solution is to set the tv via the remote or front panel controls to 'normal'. You will get black bars on the side but the picture will be presented as it is broadcast. The Viewsonic flatscreen tv's that have been replacing the old crt tv's do have the ability to show HD programing via the HDMI inputs as previously stated usually on the back of the set and yes they are hard to get at, but not impossible. As stated a mirror is of great assistance when accessing. I usually plug in an HDMI cable at the beginning of the cruise and neatly wrap it up and slide it behind the set, but still accessible, and plugged in, when not in use. There has been a lot of talk about 1080i,1080p, and 720p resolutions, which are common terms in regards to television resolution. First off there are no networks capable of broadcasting in 1080p. Most will broadcast in 720p or 1080i. Although 1080i sounds like a higher resolution in basic fact it is actually 540p sent to the set in two alternating fields. Your eye is tricked into seeing a full screen as it refreshes so quickly. 720p is sent to the set at 720p in one field, meaning all the information is on the screen at the same time. I'll try to attach a link to a youtube video that explains this much better than i can, if you have about 6 mins. to waste. It's interesting if you're into techie stuff. Personally to me I can see no difference between 720p and 1080i and I think most people would agree. BTW there are no televisions made that display in 1080i, they are either 720p or 1080p with the set doing the up or down scaling. OMG I'm sorry if I've bored half of you to death as I have myself as well. Watch the link if you're interested :o Hope I'm not breaking any rules posting a link.

Beachbum

The television in our room on the Golden Princess had an HDMI connection in the back, but I couldn't get it to show anything when I hooked it up to my computer. Later I asked about this at the front desk and was told that the HDMI input was disabled on the TVs. The connections in the back are indeed very difficult to access, but with the help of the below photo I took, I was able to plug in to the HDMI port.

8666638321_798c182a28_z.jpg

Golden Princess television connections by Terrific_surprise, on Flickr

The television in our room on the Golden Princess had an HDMI connection in the back, but I couldn't get it to show anything when I hooked it up to my computer. Later I asked about this at the front desk and was told that the HDMI input was disabled on the TVs. The connections in the back are indeed very difficult to access, but with the help of the below photo I took, I was able to plug in to the HDMI port.

Golden Princess television connections by Terrific_surprise, on Flickr

We were on the Golden in Feb/13 and had no problem watching content from our computer via the HDMI input. The remote should have had an 'input' or 'source' button or the front panel would have a setting to select the input. The set in our cabin did not have the HDMI input disabled but by default when the set is turned on it displays the tuner input. You need to select the HDMI input every time you wish to watch the device hooked up the HDMI input. I'm thinking the front desk instead of trying to explain it likely found it easier to just say it was disabled.:p

Beachbum

We were on the Golden in Feb/13 and had no problem watching content from our computer via the HDMI input. The remote should have had an 'input' or 'source' button or the front panel would have a setting to select the input. The set in our cabin did not have the HDMI input disabled but by default when the set is turned on it displays the tuner input. You need to select the HDMI input every time you wish to watch the device hooked up the HDMI input. I'm thinking the front desk instead of trying to explain it likely found it easier to just say it was disabled.:p

Beachbum

Actually some of the TVs do have access to the inputs blocked. I have only had this occur one time and it was on the Coral Princess. I even take my own universal remote so I can access functions not on the ship's remote. There was a message on the screen when I tried to access the inputs something to the effect "Carnival has block access to this function". All others I have been able to access and use the inputs.

Beachbum

I did use the remote to switch the source to HDMI, but it just showed a blank screen (no "disabled" message).

I did use the remote to switch the source to HDMI, but it just showed a blank screen (no "disabled" message).

Sheesh maybe I've just been lucky to not come across a blocked input. I'm thinking if it happened to me I'd be down at the front desk throwing a tantrum until I got the passcode to unlock it. So if you ever see someone throwing a tantrum at the front desk it's likely me:p Come over and say 'Hi". As a side note HDMI inputs are known to be flakey at times, especially on cheap (Princess Viewsonic) sets so that could always crop up as well. Wishing all a great cruising and unblocked inputs.

Beachbum

Actually some of the TVs do have access to the inputs blocked. I have only had this occur one time and it was on the Coral Princess. I even take my own universal remote so I can access functions not on the ship's remote. There was a message on the screen when I tried to access the inputs something to the effect "Carnival has block access to this function". All others I have been able to access and use the inputs.

I was thinking about taking a universal remote as well on the Royal T/A as someone on CC mentioned the remotes on the Royal didn't have an input button, but someone else mentioned that the sets had a soft touch button on the front panel. Think I'll pack one just in case and have the bases covered.

Beachbum

I wonder why in the world they would block the inputs? I know on hotel TV's you can't download programs which I understand but why block inputs. It doesn't seem as if it would harm anything and would make for happier passengers.

On the next RCCL ship inside cabins:

"Designed to provide real-time views of the ocean and our exciting destinations, these interior rooms will feature virtual balconies that span nearly floor to ceiling and capture all the beauty of the sea to WOW our guests in a way never done before. Imagine enjoying the sunrise and sunset from the comfort of your interior stateroom."

Amazing. We've come a long way. I remember travelling years ago and I went to visit someone in their inside cabin and there was a drape on the back wall. No doubt the 70's version of making it look like there might be a window. :D

The Viewsonic flatscreen tv's that have been replacing the old crt tv's do have the ability to show HD programing via the HDMI inputs as previously stated usually on the back of the set and yes they are hard to get at, but not impossible.

The viewsonics on emerald do not have hdmi inputs.

Archived