Viking Cruise Documents

JJean

Our cruise is in 2 weeks 3 days and my TA talked to Viking yesterday and our documents aren't even printed yet... should be tomorrow and sent out by Monday. Not impressed.

I want to call; what number should I use?

I tried writing them twice and no response

Not a happy camper!

I am 16 days out and have not gotten my package or an email saying to expect it so I emailed Viking this AM. I hope I hear back from them soon. So far I have been very pleased with their responses to me for other concerns, airline arrangements etc. Hoping that this will not be the first hiccup!

We are 18 days from the cruise and 11 days from leaving and I just heard from Viking. after emailing them and they will print them tomorrow and send them by Fed EX to us in Canada. I think we will get them but so much for the three weeks before.

That is not really good enough. When were they planning to send them if you hadn't contacted them? Were they aware of your early departure date?

You are not the only ones complaining about the late arrival of documents. You don't need this added stress when preparing to travel.

Viking really need to lift their game. They have had your money for quite a long time - it is not too much to ask for the timely arrival of documents. JMHO

I agree but they were excellent after my TA plus I wrote them but what about the nice little shy person that doesn't contact them? We didn't book our pre cruise stay with them but even so, they hadn't been sent out three weeks before our cruise when I did contact them.

I agree about lifting their game and getting the documents sent out earlier. Will make a busy time for some, if they haven't researched it through places like CC and knew about dress code, adapters etc if they only get the documents and details a few days before.

Good to hear; same news that I got... on their way ; left California today and should be at my home address in Canada tomorrow. I'll believe it when they arrive; that's a LONG ways to go in one day but at least they are on their way.

I agree but they were excellent after my TA plus I wrote them but what about the nice little shy person that doesn't contact them? We didn't book our pre cruise stay with them but even so, they hadn't been sent out three weeks before our cruise when I did contact them.

I agree about lifting their game and getting the documents sent out earlier. Will make a busy time for some, if they haven't researched it through places like CC and knew about dress code, adapters etc if they only get the documents and details a few days before.

I hope by next May/June Viking gets its act quite together? Had been really impressed by ads on PBS and CNN (Masterpiece Theater, etc.) and realize May/June 2013 floods in Europe and their substantial expansion over these three years should stress even a quite competent organization. Haven't tried contacting them yet, but of course I worry that their corporate climate/culture sees their passengers as just aging followers? We are doing Basel/Amsterdam as a "test" and have requested and received materials from tourism services all along the way (so quite psyched!). Have two concerns (and wonder really how Viking will respond when I write). Have read that when the Rhine floods, their ships don't leave from Basel -- but how will I know? Will they take down the information of our hotel in Basel for the night before boarding? Also, am quite concerned about their schedule for Breisach ("Black Forest") in that the morning "provided" tour does not seem at all to our interest, but an afternoon tour to Colmar allows for a more balanced, not all-Germany experience with two French port experiences? I have found that some companies at this location provide a choice between the two (versus a very long day of two bus tours). Really like the idea of a morning's structured tour with the option of return for lunch and a personal decision to either take it easy or visit nearby on your own. Wonder how Viking will react if I email them at "TellUS@vikingcruises.com"? Do to such concerns, we've selected to start with a one-week river cruise experience and follow with several nights in Belgium and then a 12-night Norwegian Fjords cruise (Celebrity) to complete next summers "trip." I know I am a worrier, but figure in this manner the two additional vacation elements will counteract any problems we may experience in the first week?

DJ:confused:

...Also, am quite concerned about their schedule for Breisach ("Black Forest") in that the morning "provided" tour does not seem at all to our interest...

We did "Rhine Getaway" back in 2011 and Black Forest tour was actually one of the best if not the best on that itinerary! Optional Colmar tour is just a wine tasting.

Especially if you booked with Viking otherwise ask your TA.

I wasn't happy with the info my TA got so I wrote them and they were great to respond after two days... got right to the matter... printed documents that day, left California yesterday ; now in Toronto (Mississauga) Canada and will arrive at my address by 5 tonight; that's 4000 km. in one day! Impressed by their action; nevertheless don't think people should have to contact them when documents were suppose to arrive 3 weeks before and they weren't even printed until my TA and I contacted them.

We did "Rhine Getaway" back in 2011 and Black Forest tour was actually one of the best if not the best on that itinerary! Optional Colmar tour is just a wine tasting.

Do you have first-hand experience with Colmar tour? Now that I have materials on Colmar, could be much more than tasting wine. My thought is that a little balance would be useful and that there is no advantage for 200 people all going to do the same thing? (This would allow two tours in France, one in the Netherlands, all the remaining in Germany.) I'm also looking to next summer when the number of river boats on the Rhine increases. I've read so many criticisms of the Black Forest experience as well. (Sort of like planning for a port in Italy in July and finding out six or more mega-ships are all at port on "your" day. Or, like watching a movie shot in Venice and wondering what they did with the thousands of tourists?) Considering multiple locations take claim to wine and/or beer, not everyone goes on a cruise to just drink (is this Carnival or what?) alcohol, and some tourists actually have an interest in history, culture, and geography!

DJ:)

Unfortunately I do not have first-hand experience with Colmar tour and can only tell you what other cruisers told us after they did it.

But I am not sure what do you mean by “balanced experience”? From my experience Viking always picks up the best tour options available in that particular city/port. If Rhine is the border river between Germany and France it does not necessary mean you need to see both sides. “Black Forest” is a nice 4 hours tour where you’ll have several stops and see magnificent places I’ve personally never seen before. By the way it finishes before 1 pm and you’ll have lunch onboard.

Unfortunately I do not have first-hand experience with Colmar tour and can only tell you what other cruisers told us after they did it. But I am not sure what do you mean by “balanced experience”? From my experience Viking always picks up the best tour options available in that particular city/port. If Rhine is the border river between Germany and France it does not necessary mean you need to see both sides. “Black Forest” is a nice 4 hours tour where you’ll have several stops and see magnificent places I’ve personally never seen before. By the way it finishes before 1 pm and you’ll have lunch onboard.

You appear, from your picture, to have a very positive commitment to river cruising -- good for you. My position is to prepare for the best future experience we can have. I have read that AMA (for example) offers the choice between a German and a French tour in Breisach. I think that a choice, if the cost is the same for Viking, would be a good move (allowing afternoons for a local experience, perhaps on your own)! Of course, I've not written Viking yet, and I'll see what's in store for me and whether Viking leadership, under its current challenges, has the capacity for any flexibility. You've followed this discussion about when documents are delivered, and this seems to be a source of anxiety for its paid customers? My position is that all cruise experiences could be improved and that some change might lead to such an improvement (this is what Cruise Critic is all about). Obviously this discussion can't go any further because of your position: you enjoyed your tour of the Black Forest (others didn't) and a tour of Colmar (which you didn't experience) was just a "wine tasting"? If this is the case, you would be right, huh? My thought about a "wine tasting" is to open 6-10 bottles of wine onboard and have the appropriate person discuss the unique and varied products of the region we will be in as those interested take a sip -- certainly don't need a tedious bus trip for this! I've seen pictures of Colmar and it looks quite interesting. My thought is two days out of the week could focus on Alsace and this possibility doesn't seem extreme to me (and I'm not emotionally focused on some conflict here where a conflict doesn't exist). Please don't confuse my concern with current TV content!

DJ:)

Archived