Viking Cruise Documents

JJean

How you could let her know if you got the documents??? Viking mails them to TA and then TA mails them to you! Maybe she meant she'd let you know when she receives them?

She meant to let her know if I didn't get them soon. Yes, Viking mails them to her and she mails them to me. So if I hadn't received them soon, I'd let her know. I guess she'd get onto Viking - get them to Fedex or something. I'm sure there are times docs get lost in the mail.

But it's all good - I got them today. How exciting to see that package in the mailbox! Very nice binder (which I will not use, but it was nice.) Also, a luggage strap (maybe for the binder?) a red sticker to wear if you have a transfer, luggage tags (paper, self stick) and a nice red luggage ID tag, a book on the Danube, and my itinerary in another booklet.

Except for the fact that I hurt my back Sunday and am trying to recuperate from that, I'm pretty excited about this trip! :)

She meant to let her know if I didn't get them soon. Yes, Viking mails them to her and she mails them to me. So if I hadn't received them soon, I'd let her know. I guess she'd get onto Viking - get them to Fedex or something. I'm sure there are times docs get lost in the mail.

But it's all good - I got them today. How exciting to see that package in the mailbox! Very nice binder (which I will not use, but it was nice.) Also, a luggage strap (maybe for the binder?) a red sticker to wear if you have a transfer, luggage tags (paper, self stick) and a nice red luggage ID tag, a book on the Danube, and my itinerary in another booklet. Except for the fact that I hurt my back Sunday and am trying to recuperate from that, I'm pretty excited about this trip! :)

Can you tell if your documents came directly from Viking (California) or from your TA? Just don't understand this logic of keeping the TA as the go-between, like Viking would like the TA to accompany us in our cabin as well? I think is pretty natural to use a TA, especially if you receive a discount? For us, we are linking Rhine Getaway with a Celebrity Norwegian Fjords (RT Amsterdam) with six nights in Belgium in bestween and going through TA I'm able to receive high level of health insurance coverage from initial flight to last flight, so its worth it.

Good to learn about all the potential rough spots ahead of time to be prepared. Thanks,

DJ:)

Don't think it is a luggage strap, mine is more like a lanyard to put your plastic name tag on. The Binder would be handy for tablets but most people already have one.

Oh, I did get the lanyard and name tag, too. I forgot to mention that. So the lanyard and name tag PLUS the strap. I will not use the strap, more than likely. But I do like the lanyard. I usually carry a cheap silver necklace and get a hole punched in my card, since it's less invasive and dorky than a lanyard. <G>

Felicia

Just as FYI we leave on Viking cruise in 2 weeks & had not received our packages yet. I called Viking today & was told would have by Friday & they provided a FedEx tracking number, checked FedEx site & it confirmed what Viking rep told me. I also booked through a TA but packet is being sent directly to me (also verified on FedEx site). Explanation I was given was earlier problem with printer operation but who knows (or cares).

Can you tell if your documents came directly from Viking (California) or from your TA? Just don't understand this logic of keeping the TA as the go-between, like Viking would like the TA to accompany us in our cabin as well? I think is pretty natural to use a TA, especially if you receive a discount? For us, we are linking Rhine Getaway with a Celebrity Norwegian Fjords (RT Amsterdam) with six nights in Belgium in bestween and going through TA I'm able to receive high level of health insurance coverage from initial flight to last flight, so its worth it.

Good to learn about all the potential rough spots ahead of time to be prepared. Thanks,

I understand the idea of going thru the TA, because you get the benefit of using them in case something goes awry. So they sent the docs to my TA (consolidator, and I don't think I'm allowed to say the name of the company?) but I use them for all my cruises. The idea is they check the documents for accuracy first.

I get the same price as if I booked directly w/ Viking, except I get a shipboard credit that you really can't beat. In this case, it's $200 to use onboard. I have no clue how I will spend $200 since my excursions and wine are included! I guess I'll just have to buy a lot of toothpaste from the gift shop. :D

Felicia

I understand the idea of going thru the TA, because you get the benefit of using them in case something goes awry. So they sent the docs to my TA (consolidator, and I don't think I'm allowed to say the name of the company?) but I use them for all my cruises. The idea is they check the documents for accuracy first.

I get the same price as if I booked directly w/ Viking, except I get a shipboard credit that you really can't beat. In this case, it's $200 to use onboard. I have no clue how I will spend $200 since my excursions and wine are included! I guess I'll just have to buy a lot of toothpaste from the gift shop. :D

Felicia

You can use the credit to pay the tips at the end of the cruise. They let you pay cash or put it on a credit card.

Felicia

We usually get $500 off the cruise price from our TA. The acceptable discount is about 10% off the cruise price.

But I also do not understand the logic of keeping the TA as the go-between.

Not to mention they could just email pdf files instead.

Our documents were sent to our TA and they, in turn, send a huge package of goodies to us.......Viking documents, plus a box of their own "gifts". What a nice surprise to receive.

Don't think it is a luggage strap, mine is more like a lanyard to put your plastic name tag on. The Binder would be handy for tablets but most people already have one.

I looked in my package again and there is a strap as well. Can't imagine hanging the binder around you either. Another thing for the recycle bin

Our documents were sent to our TA and they, in turn, send a huge package of goodies to us.......Viking documents, plus a box of their own "gifts". What a nice surprise to receive.

I keep receiving pins from Viking. Like lapel pins. I've donated them to my niece and nephew! :)

I did go online today to just confirm my personal info etc and the documents could also be accessed on your personal page.

Did you go thru a TA? I tried that before and couldn't get them.

But no worries, I have them now and am pretty freaking excited.

Did you go thru a TA? I tried that before and couldn't get them.

But no worries, I have them now and am pretty freaking excited.

No I went through Viking directly. I too am getting excited. I have cruised the Yangtze and the Nile but not any European rivers. Looking forward to our three days in Switz, first.

My group of 10 is leaving for China on the 29th of September - 9 days from now. Our documents arrived today. I am very disappointed in Viking. We spent a lot of money on this trip and it seems like it was too much trouble to send our travel documents in a timely manner. This is the trip of a lifetime for many in our group and it just seems like they could have made a little more effort with our documents. One of the people in our group has not gotten her passport and Chinese visa yet, although the Viking recommended visa company has had it since the end of July. This is just starting our trip on a very bad note. I usually can make lemonade out of lemons but this trip was my idea and now I am worried that I have made a bad choice....

Are you on Viking Imperial Jewels of China? I went on that one and it was great.

I can't remember how long before the cruise's I received my documents but Viking does make sure you get them before you leave. There is not that much information that you can't pack and read on the plane.

I did go online today to just confirm my personal info etc and the documents could also be accessed on your personal page.

You mean the page with the PIF? I do not see anything else there.

Only found:

---------------------------

Tickets and other travel documents will be issued approximately 3 weeks prior to departure. All early document requests will be charged a $25 early processing fee. Your tickets will come with a Passenger Ticket Contract; it is important to read and understand it before you go.

You mean the page with the PIF? I do not see anything else there.

Only found:

Tickets and other travel documents will be issued approximately 3 weeks prior to departure. All early document requests will be charged a $25 early processing fee. Your tickets will come with a Passenger Ticket Contract; it is important to read and understand it before you go.

Documents should be received not just issued 3 weeks prior to departure at the latest. I wonder why Viking has not posted on this thread and answered our concerns about them being slow about sending documents.

It has been a long time since I took a river cruise, but is it customary now to have to wear a name tag? I've never had a river cruise require them and do not want/expect to wear one this time around.

There is no requirement on wearing name tags, but it is nice to meet someone who has a name tag on so you can address them by name. Lots of people don't like them so they won't wear them.

There is no requirement on wearing name tags, but it is nice to meet someone who has a name tag on so you can address them by name. Lots of people don't like them so they won't wear them.

I'm one who won't wear mine. Seems too much like a convention! LOL

As for the documents, I spent about 15 minutes looking at everything, then I packed the small descriptive book to read on the plane. When I thought about it, I was just excited to get mine, but it's really not imperative you get it 3 weeks in advance......or 2.........or 1.......But if I hadn't had mine in a week, I'd have been insisting on a Fedex, their cost. I just don't think it's going to ruin the trip if the docs aren't received in 2 weeks. Because you really don't need to do anything w/ them except review them.

Felicia

I'm one who won't wear mine. Seems too much like a convention! LOL

As for the documents, I spent about 15 minutes looking at everything, then I packed the small descriptive book to read on the plane. When I thought about it, I was just excited to get mine, but it's really not imperative you get it 3 weeks in advance......or 2.........or 1.......But if I hadn't had mine in a week, I'd have been insisting on a Fedex, their cost. I just don't think it's going to ruin the trip if the docs aren't received in 2 weeks. Because you really don't need to do anything w/ them except review them.

Felicia

Let me add something to this. I did want to know which hotel I'd be at in Budapest, so I could map out the things I wanted to do on my own, based on my home location. And I needed more than a week to do this. If that's the case, I'd just call Viking and ask. Which is what I did.

Archived