Questions for sailing solo

iriemon

I have not sailed on RCCL in a few years and now since the passing of my wife I am thinking of sailing on the Allure or Oasis solo something I have never done before. A couple of questions for those of you that have done this: Are these good ships to go solo on? I will be doing an inside room because I have to pay double for just me, are there any rooms to stay away from? Do the inside rooms have a refridgerator in them? I will probably eat at the lido or one of the other resturants but probably not at the MDR. Is the food at the lido good for dinner? Any other tips you may have would be appreciated.

I have not sailed on RCCL in a few years and now since the passing of my wife I am thinking of sailing on the Allure or Oasis solo something I have never done before. A couple of questions for those of you that have done this: Are these good ships to go solo on? I will be doing an inside room because I have to pay double for just me, are there any rooms to stay away from? Do the inside rooms have a refridgerator in them? I will probably eat at the lido or one of the other resturants but probably not at the MDR. Is the food at the lido good for dinner? Any other tips you may have would be appreciated.

Cruise RCCL solo regularly and thoroughly enjoy it ! Also book inside cabins for the same reason.

Whether or not the inside cabin has a fridge varies from ship to ship.

If dining solo is your preference why not consider booking My Time Dining (MTD) rather than eating in the Lido ( though I do find that enjoyable at times) ? This offers you the same dining experience in the main dining room but with the flexibility of eating when you want and you can request a single table each night. Here's the link for details http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/product.do?pagename=onboard_prod_my_time_dining

Sorry about the passing of your wife. If you can go on short notice some of the Oasis/Allure sailings next month are offering single rates at only 10% above not double. We have a lot of singles that have joined us on the Allure 9/22 due to this sale.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Sorry about the passing of your wife. If you can go on short notice some of the Oasis/Allure sailings next month are offering single rates at only 10% above not double. We have a lot of singles that have joined us on the Allure 9/22 due to this sale.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Thanks for that info, I did not see that any place else. Unfortunately I am not able to go next month as I don't retire until 10/1 then I will be able to go on short notice as long as I can get a flight. Did you get notice of this through email or on their site?

I always cruise solo and there are definitely trade offs. As to the surcharge, it varies by ship, itinerary, sailing date. I will only book one with a double surcharge if it is a "once in a lifetime", otherwise I do not want to pay more than 1.7. If you are sailing solo, I recommend the MTD option, I just go to the door at the time I reserved, look around at who is there and ask if anyone wants to share a large table. That way I am not stuck every night with the same couples at fixed time dining. I also use the buffet often.

The best way to have a great time is to get active on the cruise critic board for your particular sailing, get to know some folks before you board, go the sail away party that group has set up, or sign up for the tours the group may have arranged. Sometimes I've met up with folks who don't live too far away before the cruise.

To be honest, a single guy is not going to be alone much on a cruise:-).

I always cruise solo and there are definitely trade offs. As to the surcharge, it varies by ship, itinerary, sailing date. I will only book one with a double surcharge if it is a "once in a lifetime", otherwise I do not want to pay more than 1.7. If you are sailing solo, I recommend the MTD option, I just go to the door at the time I reserved, look around at who is there and ask if anyone wants to share a large table. That way I am not stuck every night with the same couples at fixed time dining. I also use the buffet often.

The best way to have a great time is to get active on the cruise critic board for your particular sailing, get to know some folks before you board, go the sail away party that group has set up, or sign up for the tours the group may have arranged. Sometimes I've met up with folks who don't live too far away before the cruise.

To be honest, a single guy is not going to be alone much on a cruise:-).

Thanks Fran, my wife and I did 42 cruises together, and when anytime dining came we always signed up for that that way we were not on a schedule. The last couple of cruises we only ate in the MDR once or twice on a cruise, we enjoyed the casual atmosphere and we had more pictures than we could ever need of us dressed up. Since you eat at the buffet often, is the food the same as the MDR? I know on Princess and HAL it is, just it is not served to you. This will be my first solo cruise so a little aprehensive about it but my wife made me promise that I wouldn't become a mushroom after she died and to do the things that we enjoyed.

Thanks for that info, I did not see that any place else. Unfortunately I am not able to go next month as I don't retire until 10/1 then I will be able to go on short notice as long as I can get a flight. Did you get notice of this through email or on their site?

Neither- If you bookmark that site it will automatically update late Thursday afternoon or earl evenings.

Congrats on your retirement!!! Maybe the single supplement will go down for October as well:D

Neither- If you bookmark that site it will automatically update late Thursday afternoon or earl evenings.

Congrats on your retirement!!! Maybe the single supplement will go down for October as well:D

One can only hope!

I travel solo and do not prefer sitting with other people at dinner time.

I ask for a table against a wall, or with a window, or separated, so that I can enjoy some quiet time. If you prefer to meet people, I loved the previous posters idea of announcing at the desk, hey would anyone here like to share a table ? Great idea!

I am booked on a Transatlantic on Independence of the Seas for next May 4th. We have a great roll call and there are lots of solo's going. For awhile there was no single supplement! You should check if that is still the case. It promises to be a fun cruise with lots of activities already planned on the roll call.

Archived