Own flights - Celebrity transfer?

Higgy64

Just to chat with you a bit about this idea. Your postscript comment... especially in Florida... is quite obvious. There are times when taking the Celebrity transfer makes no sense, but additionally there are times when Celebrity transfers make the most sense.

Case in point: flying into San Diego and having the Celebrity transfer to get you to Ensenada. Trust me, you WANT Celebrity to handle this transportation for you and, if you think that you have to fly in on the same day in order to get the transfer, it's nice to know that you don't.

Another case in point: staying at an airport hotel. Believe it or not, the transfer that we took was when we stayed in New Jersey and had to get to Bayonne. The taxis going to Bayonne are all metered, which means that you can be stuck in a very long, winding traffic mess to get into the port. I wanted to have a secure transportation cost that didn't rely on the metered taxi, but the shuttles to the port were much, much higher than the Celebrity transfer cost. You do have to check rather than assume that Celebrity is always out to get more money.

And a final case in point. Traveling alone. Celebrity transfers just give you that additional feeling of being looked after...

I should have expanded my comment to say depending on port and number of travelers. For the most part a single traveler will be about same cost in many/most ports taxi/private vs ship transfer. We find it easy to get ride share through roll call board for many of our trips.

Most of the time (and of course ymmv depending on port) for 2 or more travelers it is cheaper to do non-ship transfer.

We used ship transfer for Harwich but that is the only time we have done that. That was worth it to us.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi all,

Just got back from a fantastic cruise (our first) on Reflection round the Eastern Med. Now looking to book another one.

I'm finding that the prices shown on the website look quite reasonable until you add on airfare... I know that the Cruise line have to take a bit of a punt with the Airfare pricing as the airlines themselves will not yet have published prices so far in advance - so there is an element of risk in the price to cover the Cruise line BUT.... the airfares do seem to be a lot more than if you were to find your own fares... For example, I just looked at flights to Fort Lauderdale and can find them for around £600 whereas Celebrity are looking at over £900.

So, I'm considering booking my own flights - still weighing up the benefits and the risks of doing so.

Anyway - to get to the question... If we were to book our own flights, would we also be able to book a Celebrity transfer from the airport to the Ship ? We were so impressed with the way the whole transfer was dealt with this time that anything else just seems second rate these days :-)

Hi there, we were on Reflection med cruise on June, and booked transfer to ship direct w Celebrity, no problem. The service was excellent and would do it again. (We also booked our own flights!). Hope this helps

------

We used ship transfer for Harwich but that is the only time we have done that. That was worth it to us.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am so glad to hear your comment, as we are using Celebrity arranged flights to LHR ( from MAN) and getting the transfer to Harwich, for our TA on Infinity, as our car would be at the wrong port on our return from Miami.

I think there are 2 elements here. In UK if you book flights through Celebrity you have all transfers included. So when we arrive in Miami, we will be taken to a day hotel and then transferred to the airport ready for our flight home.

All included for £485

Archived