Scenic Tours Paris to Barcelona Live

newfirsttimer

The wait staff has been wonderful on the Emerald, also very accommodating. Tonight an excellent dinner at the Palace de Papes in Avignon. Beautiful old dining room, 4 string quartet and excellent food. Choice of veal roast or salmon with an API, desert, champagne, red or white wine and coffee. The walk up was done with a tour guide so some history given. Gentle walk. If mobility issues a taxi was called for you. There is a lift inside the palace otherwise the 80 stairs were a bit tough

Today still docked in Avignon. Bus trip this morning to Pont du Gard and Uzes. Worthwhile going. The aqueduct is amazing that it is still standing after almost 2000 years. After lunch free time in either Avignon or Arles (by bus to Arles). We moved out of our docking space mid day to allow the Arosa Stella to take the inside position and we tied alongside her. That ship has a swimming pool and since it was almost 38 deg today, it looked mighty inviting. Tonight was the crew talent show, lots of laughs. We are now docked in Tarasco our last port of a all. Tomorrow morning we have the choice of free time in Arles or Tarascon. In the afternoon we are doing the tour to Les Baux. The ship sails back to Avignon in the afternoon. Tomorrow night is the Captains gala dinner. Friday is the last night on board.

It is now Thursday our second last day. Docked in Tarascon this morning and took the shuttle service to Arles with a guide that took us to the Center of town via the Colisseum. Wonderful city, loved to see the Cafe de Nuit and the Hotel Dieu that were painted by Van Gogh. Back on board by 12 for a disembarkation talk followed by lunch. We have eaten many lunches in the lounge with the excellent soups and salad or,pasta. 1:30 and we are off again by coach for Les Baux and the olive farm. This was. Very good experience, les BAux was beautiful and lovely learning experience at the olive mill. Ship had moved to Avignon again. Back on board at 5:45. Port talk at 6:30 followed by captain's dinner. No energy to get off the bed to get dressed but guess I should. Tomorrow another long day in Camargue and packing to do for an 8 am coach on Saturday to Barcelona. Has been a wonderful cruise with Scenic.

Last day..on the coach at 8:30 for trip to the Camargue to see the flamingos followed by a stop in Ste Marie's de la mer. This town is on the Mediterranean, lovely beaches full of sand but very touristy, lots of shopping and it was also market day so many more stalls. Another hour ride to the Bull Farm for lunch. I personally like eating like the locals with their simple food, roast, brown rice and tomato sauce and for starters a huge bowl of fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, endive, boiled potatoes, boiled eggs with a wonderful olive and anchovies tepanade. This was followed by a selection of goat cheeses and then a most delicious chocolate cake. Lots of water and wine. We enjoyed the meal but many did not. I would have expected to see bulls at the farm but apparently Scenic had many complaints from previous guests that they did not like the way the bulls were teased so they cut out the show.

Back on board at 4:30, very tired and hot. It has been in the 30's for days. Rain expected tomorrow for our trip to Barcelona. I must say the Internet has been great. This might be the last post until I get home.

Last day..on the coach at 8:30 for trip to the Camargue to see the flamingos followed by a stop in Ste Marie's de la mer. This town is on the Mediterranean, lovely beaches full of sand but very touristy, lots of shopping and it was also market day so many more stalls. Another hour ride to the Bull Farm for lunch. I personally like eating like the locals with their simple food, roast, brown rice and tomato sauce and for starters a huge bowl of fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, endive, boiled potatoes, boiled eggs with a wonderful olive and anchovies tepanade. This was followed by a selection of goat cheeses and then a most delicious chocolate cake. Lots of water and wine. We enjoyed the meal but many did not. I would have expected to see bulls at the farm but apparently Scenic had many complaints from previous guests that they did not like the way the bulls were teased so they cut out the show.

Back on board at 4:30, very tired and hot. It has been in the 30's for days. Rain expected tomorrow for our trip to Barcelona. I must say the Internet has been great. This might be the last post until I get home.

Thanks for your comprehensive review.

Safe travels home!

Just finished our last dinner. Food has been excellent. More than enough food, presentation is excellent. Have to say though that Duck seems to be a popular food. Several times as a starter and tonight was the second time this week as the main course. coquilles St. Jacques for me tonight with Creme brûlée, yum. The soups every day have been first rate. I would rate the food this trip as 5 star. I did not feel the same way last year on Scenic AMS to Bud. Maybe it has something to do with the local cuisine. The wines and champagne have been 5 star and I never once saw anyone getting charged for any alcohol. The bar is well stocked with good brands, cognacs, other apperitives. I will do a member review when I return home. Was this a total 5 star experience , not every aspect but I don't have much to compare with. I really enjoyed my AMA cruise as well.

We travelled in aquarium class, port side and only once did we have a pylon outside the window, we mostly docked starboard side and only once were we 'double parked'.

Bus ride to Barcelona long with 2 hr stop at the Dali museum enroute. Arrived Barcelona 4 pm, checked into hotel. Great room. Bus tour left at 5 pm but pouring rain and not all that enjoyable. Did however gomintomthe Sagrada Familia, fantastic. Dinner on our own. Luggage has arrived. Tomorrow tour starts at 10. Internet sporadic

We did the tour today to the Spanish Village. Thought it was very interesting and gave a flavour of different towns in different regions of Spain. This was a man made village built on a temporary basis for the 1929 World Exposition and was supposed to be torn down after 6 months. It is still there with some very good shops. Worth the time. We were back at the hotel at 1 and had the afternoon on our own. tapas tour this evening, 3 different places, lots of food and styles of service. Fun time. Tomorrow free time.

Monday in Barcelona we basically shopped and did a walking tour of the Bari Gothic area. My legs and feet are starting to rebel. We actually ordered room service our last night in Barcelona, packed up and were ready for leaving. Our chauffeur picked us up at 10 am for a ride to the airport for a 1:15 flight. We had printed our boarding passes in the business Center at the hotel before heading to the airport. Barcelona airport has the most comprehensive shopping areas. Due to the overall strike in France, our flight was delayed by the French air traffic controllers so some stress that we could miss our connection in Amsterdam. We made up some time so plenty of connect time even though it is a very long walk from gate C to Gate F and we had to go through passport control as well. Our Toronto flight was on a 747 so they boarded first/business first and then used two ramps to board the other 45 rows. Not as bad as our previous boarding fiasco with KLM in Amsterdam. Flight delayed 40 mins due to rain and traffic backup but otherwise uneventful. Fed several,times on the flight, lots of included wine and beer for those who wished it and the food was really quite good. Still think KLM has the best meals of any flights via Toronto.

Have unpacked and 3 loads of laundry done and I am ready for my nap. Can't wait to see my granddaughters when I pick the up from school. I will do a member cruise review over the next few days. This will be my last post in this thread.

Archived