The Freedom/Oasis Isotope

Coov

I am curious...

I have seen MANY polls on "what is your favorite ship/class" and usually the discussion evolves into "what is too big / does not feel like a cruise ship", etc. Quite a bit of love for the Radiance class (my first RCI experience and I can see why. AWESOME!!!)... but a great deal of the love goes to the Freedom class (which I am about to experience), and the Oasis class.

After I have experienced the Freedom of the Seas, would I be able to tell if I would enjoy something like the Allure? I know I will get the response of "have to experience at least once" and I am sure I shall, but I can see how ships can overshadow the cruise experience that I fell in love with on the Jewel. More than likely I will do an Oasis class for the experience when one will hopefully (inevitably?) end up in Port Canaveral. I am just curious in what I have to look forward to next year as I continue to feed my cruising obsession.

I have cruised the Radiance class [Jewel and Radiance] and the Freedom class [independence] and to be honest, I believe there are more similarities than differences. The Freedom class is indeed bigger, but having cruised the smallest [splendour] to the Freedoms [which were the biggest at the time] I have found RCI does a good job of giving all of its ships a similar feel. If you visited the Windjammer on Jewel, you will feel right at home in the Windjammer on Freedom. Likewise, you will find many other similar venues [schooner bar, MDR, Theater, Viking Crown, etc.] The cabins will also have a similar feel. I also believe RCI's ship design gives an open and airy feel to the all the ships. I don't recall ever feeling crowded on any RCI ship.

There are indeed differences. Radiance has an enclosed solarium which many enjoy, but I find too hot and humid. Radiance also has a set of glass elevators and maybe more glass per capita. But when I ride those elevators I rarely see people looking out. They are typically just wanting to get to where they are going. I would much rather watch the water from outside than look through a window in any case. The Freedoms have the Royal Promenade which some deride as "a shopping mall at sea" but many others enjoy. In many ways, I don't see the Royal Promenade as much different from the shop area on other ships. It is bigger, and provides a general thoroughfare through the ship, but almost every other ship has several shops along the major pathways. The big advantage I see in the RP is that it provides a couple of eating venues [sorrentos Pizza and Café Promenade] that provide complimentary meals [both have windows by the way]. On the other hand, the Radiances [at least some of them, including Jewel] have the sea View Café which [while the food is marginal in my view] have a nice outside seating area which is great in good weather.

Bottom line, I think you will be at home on Freedom if you enjoyed Jewel. I can't speak for Oasis/Allure because I have not yet had the privilege.

Thanks for the reply. That eases my concern that the Freedom will be drastically different. After trying Carnival I felt the Jewel fit us like a glove. I would love to imagine I could love another ship as much... I guess we will see. I actually spent a great deal of time in the closed in solarium and enjoyed it immensely. I look forward to continue my RCI adventures on all of the classes.

Coov, forgive me for intruding here but I wonder if you would do a favor? Your countdown clocks are lined up horizontally and thus "stretch" out the board so that we have to scroll all the way across to read any thread in which you have posted. Would you mind terribly editing your Signature and just putting a space in between your clocks so that they line up vertically instead? It would really help out. :) Thank you so much.

Coov, forgive me for intruding here but I wonder if you would do a favor? Your countdown clocks are lined up horizontally and thus "stretch" out the board so that we have to scroll all the way across to read any thread in which you have posted. Would you mind terribly editing your Signature and just putting a space in between your clocks so that they line up vertically instead? It would really help out. :) Thank you so much.

I agree 100% very difficult to read the OP post because of the stretch effect.

Mike

I am curious...

I have seen MANY polls on "what is your favorite ship/class" and usually the discussion evolves into "what is too big / does not feel like a cruise ship", etc. Quite a bit of love for the Radiance class (my first RCI experience and I can see why. AWESOME!!!)... but a great deal of the love goes to the Freedom class (which I am about to experience), and the Oasis class.

After I have experienced the Freedom of the Seas, would I be able to tell if I would enjoy something like the Allure? I know I will get the response of "have to experience at least once" and I am sure I shall, but I can see how ships can overshadow the cruise experience that I fell in love with on the Jewel. More than likely I will do an Oasis class for the experience when one will hopefully (inevitably?) end up in Port Canaveral. I am just curious in what I have to look forward to next year as I continue to feed my cruising obsession.

You will love the Freedom,,we are going on our 4th cruise on her upcoming in Jan...Having said that,,,we did venture on the Oasis last year and have to say we enjoyed it tremendously...But we were with the family, our grandaughter loved thekids zone and we loved seeingher and DD and SIL having a good time...

The Oasis is awsome,,but think more geared for "younger" families,,:cool:...We have been on the Indy,,the Mariner,,the Radiance and Celebrity ships,,but the Freedom is kind of like h ome for us now,,and close to where we live helps...Happy Crusing....

Archived