Not very impressive

Mike2131

I received an email today purporting to contain a description of a voyage selected just for me. It is shown below.

Dear [First_Name][Last_Name],

The Chilean Fjords are a wonderful part of the planet to explore, and this is best done onboard the remarkable Silver Explorer. Starting at the far southern city of Ushuaia, also known as Fin del Mundo or " The Edge of the World," we plan to sail through the Beagle Channel and one of our first stops will be the Garibaldi Fjord. This beautiful corner of the Chilean fjords lies within the Alberto de Agostini National Park, Chile's third-largest national park, and includes all Chilean islands south of the Magellan Strait, including a portion of Tierra del Fuego. The magnificent Garibaldi Glacier, in this steep-sided valley with its blue ice and calving face, is a spectacular sight and if conditions allow we will launch our Zodiacs to get an up-close-and-personal view of it. The majestic Andean Condor can sometimes be seen here, and a South American sea lion colony makes raucous noises on a rocky shore nearby. Other birds that can be seen include kingfishers, skuas, flightless steamer ducks, kelp geese, ashy-headed geese, caracaras, vultures, crested ducks, nesting imperial shags, cincloides, and others.

Our days are spent exploring the fjords and visiting areas that cannot be reached by larger cruise vessels. Our Zodiacs allow us an up-close view of the Pio XI Glacier, while our agile ship's shallow draft allows our Captain to navigate the tricky English Narrows en route to one of the most beautiful villages in the Fjords, Caletta Tortel. This village consists mainly of stilt houses, typical of Chilota architecture, built along the coast for several kilometers. There are no conventional streets - instead there are wooden walkways. We will use our Zodiacs to explore the mouth of the Baker River, navigating the small channels and landing at the Isla de las Muertos, where 135 graves tell a sad story of exploration and exploitation.

Another highlight is a visit to the island of Chiloe and its little wooden churches that are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

In Puerto Montt, we have the opportunity to see some of the most magnificent natural sights that Chile has to offer. Llanquihue Lake is South America's third-largest natural lake, and Lake Todos los Santos, also known as the Emerald Lake because of its clear, light green water, is beautiful to see. But the true highlight is the drive up to the majestic Osorno volcano itself, which reaches 2,652 meters above sea level. We stop at an area called La Burbuja (The Bubble), located approximately 1,200 meters above sea level, which is the starting point for those who come to ski on the hillsides of the volcano and for those who dare climb it. It is truly amazing and for many, the highlight of this cruise.

So as you see, with magnificent fjords, majestic mountains, abundant bird life, culture and history, this cruise offers a little bit of everything. Do join us for the adventure!

See you on board.

Kara Weller,

Expedition Leader

Take a look at the greeting highlighted in red. Nice to see they knew just who they were sending it to.

Yes, I understand it is a mass email blast (I use and receive them daily). The lack of care in the oversight of Silversea marketing, however, is, at the least, very disappointing - especially for a line that like to tout its attention to detail.

Yes, I understand it is a mass email blast (I use and receive them daily). The lack of care in the oversight of Silversea marketing, however, is, at the least, very disappointing - especially for a line that like to tout its attention to detail.

Seem like their "attention to detai"l has been taking quite a hit of late.

You, however, do impress me since I would never have caught that. In fact, I had to reread your post to figure out what you were on about.

Archived