Cruise Critic heads to Progreso!

Chris (or others),

I know the US dollar is accepted everywhere in Progreso, but what about in Merida? I'm planning to go there in December and do some shopping and have lunch, but didn't know if I should come equipped with pesos, if nothing else to make transactions easier (only Spanish I know will get me a beer and a bathroom, that's about it).

Also, any tips on safe/good places for lunch in the main areas are welcomed! I'll be travelling alone so I probably won't go too far off the beaten path. Is much/any English spoken in Merida?

Thanks for any tips!

They love getting our dollar....the problem is sometimes if you don't have exact amount you will get your change back in Mexican Peso's. Merida took my American dollars.

Hi - this is a great thread. I am interested in the horse drawn carriage tours, I think. I read "@PSkinner, I've been thinking of your situation the last few days. The streets in Merida are slightly uneven, with steep sidewalks. So if you came into the city, your mother would have to watch out where she is walking. One option is to take one of the horse-drawn carriage tours to look at the architecture. Besides being quite picturesque, the animals appear to look healthy, too."

Does anyone know if the carriage tours will take you wherever you want to go and the name of the vendor?

Still looking for something to do in Progreso - want to take in the local flavor and culture - I enjoy that. Ruins sound fascinating, too. I need to make some decisions.

Thanks!

• Members
Chris (or others),

I know the US dollar is accepted everywhere in Progreso, but what about in Merida? I'm planning to go there in December and do some shopping and have lunch, but didn't know if I should come equipped with pesos, if nothing else to make transactions easier (only Spanish I know will get me a beer and a bathroom, that's about it).

Also, any tips on safe/good places for lunch in the main areas are welcomed! I'll be travelling alone so I probably won't go too far off the beaten path. Is much/any English spoken in Merida?

Thanks for any tips!

I used mostly Pesos, but also a few dollars when buying souvenirs. So you should be OK.

As far as restaurants go, I had a nice taco lunch at Los Trompos in Merida. Also La Chaya or La Tradicion, if you want a more typical Yucatan meal.

• Members

Does anyone know if the carriage tours will take you wherever you want to go and the name of the vendor?

Thanks!

You'll see the carriages on the street along the Plaza Grande. There is no vendor, per se. I saw them traveling throughout the historic center; you can't use them to go to another town or anything, but it's a nice way to tour downtown Merida.

• 2 weeks later...
They love getting our dollars.

Sure, because the exchange is heavily in their favor (i.e. you are paying more than if you paid in pesos).

It might not make a lot of difference to you, the relatively rich tourist, but it may mean an extra bag of beans or rice to feed a local family, so it does to them.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

• 2 weeks later...

The Jaguar truck was a really fun excursion, and the guides were so nice and funny. I would have liked it to have been a tad shorter but that is my only complaint. We got back with about only 20 minutes to spare before boarding. Thankfully I had time to run in real quick and buy the Mexican vanilla I wanted. I will warn that it is a pretty long bus ride each way, about 40 minutes. So if that is not your thing I would skip this. The biking was about a mile, all flat ground. The ruins was about a 30 minute stop where you could walk around at your leisure and then off to the beach for paddle boarding, relaxing and lunch. Lunch consisted of chicken fajitas, cheese quesadillas and chips.

That definitely sounds fun! I think that's a newer excursion too. Someone else on this board was asking about it. Be sure to report back once you take your trip!

• 1 month later...
The Jaguar truck was a really fun excursion, and the guides were so nice and funny. I would have liked it to have been a tad shorter but that is my only complaint. We got back with about only 20 minutes to spare before boarding. Thankfully I had time to run in real quick and buy the Mexican vanilla I wanted. I will warn that it is a pretty long bus ride each way, about 40 minutes. So if that is not your thing I would skip this. The biking was about a mile, all flat ground. The ruins was about a 30 minute stop where you could walk around at your leisure and then off to the beach for paddle boarding, relaxing and lunch. Lunch consisted of chicken fajitas, cheese quesadillas and chips.

How and whom did you book this excursion through? This looks interesting. Thanks

Joyride37